oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

5 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well we see plenty of dodgy refs here that give some very questionable (or downright wrong) decisions, for no obvious reason. No reason why that shouldn't extend to Europe (or the entire world for that matter).

But I would say we can't know whether its simply down to incompetence / arrogance (refusal to acknowledge mistakes, talk to assistants etc.) or if they are genuinely and knowingly favouring one team over another.

I suspect some of it is unconscious bias towards a home crowd baying for every decision. When ref has to make a decision whether to issue a yellow card for example, any hesitation and crowd reaction may subconsciously affect final choice. Used to happen with penalties - remember the number MU used to get at Old Trafford under Fergie - , but VAR has reduced that issue.

• Like 1
  • Replies 34.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Wycombe are a third of the way to righting the wrongs of last season, which is encouraging for those of us who like to believe in karma. I have no time for MK Dons, so hopefully Wycombe manage to hold them off in the second leg, and then ideally set up a play-off final against Sheffield Wednesday.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Wycombe are a third of the way to righting the wrongs of last season, which is encouraging for those of us who like to believe in karma. I have no time for MK Dons, so hopefully Wycombe manage to hold them off in the second leg, and then ideally set up a play-off final against Sheffield Wednesday.

It was funny seeing the stat table for Wycombe before the match.

One of the worst "footballing" sides in the league, just like their previous promotion.

I was speaking to a Sunderland fan who was saying they're the pantomime villains of League One because they play dire football and are dirty.

Would make it all the better if they got up again though at the expense of the big boys.

13 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Indeed. Meanwhile people who do important jobs that really matter in society won't earn anything like that their entire working lives.

Yes and has we've seen recently when one of these players is put in a life threatening situation its a fast acting doctor or paramedic who saves them. 

Greedy agents and greedy players who so far away from realism I detest the greedy ***.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Yes and has we've seen recently when one of these players is put in a life threatening situation its a fast acting doctor or paramedic who saves them. 

Greedy agents and greedy players who so far away from realism I detest the greedy ***.

It’s insane isn’t it? There needs to be a wage cap. 

2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

It’s the only realistic way of lowering players wages. 

They are the attraction, why should they not profit off the money they bring in or have that limited by some arbitrary rule made because Dr's and Nurses aren't paid enough?

22 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

It’s insane isn’t it? There needs to be a wage cap. 

Think we're miles beyond a wage cap at this point and I don't think it would actually solve anything beyond letting some people be happy that people kicking a ball for a living earn less in a month than they previously did but still more than people who do incredible things like saving people's lives. In other words, people would still be annoyed at pay disparity between things they feel are more/less important than one another.

It's not like it's the only sport that has people who sit at the top of the food chain earning more than doctors and nurses either. I also think it's hard to argue against the idea that the people who bring that investment into the game are top-level professionals, again the same as other sports. So is the problem that sportspeople earn too much cut of the pie, even though they're realistically the only reason that money comes in in the first place?

Agents are a different factor but I think it's quite telling that despite the seemingly ridiculous sums of money that they earn from their clients' deals, people still pay that money.

13 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

It’s the only realistic way of lowering players wages. 

But what is that really doing other than keeping incredibly rich owners even richer? At least these players contribute that money into the economy through taxation. Otherwise it will just be sat in some American owner's bank account.

Footballers earn a shed load of money, but someone has to be earning enough to pay a full squad of these players. It's a bigger issue with the ultra-rich and capitalism in general than just Footballers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Foogle said:

But what is that really doing other than keeping incredibly rich owners even richer? At least these players contribute that money into the economy through taxation. Otherwise it will just be sat in some American owner's bank account.

Footballers earn a shed load of money, but someone has to be earning enough to pay a full squad of these players. It's a bigger issue with the ultra-rich and capitalism in general than just Footballers.

Tax the ultra-rich, give the extra money to NHS doctors and nurses. I should be a politician.

propaganda capitalism GIF

• Like 3

What's annoying certainly in this country is people are finding hard to make ends meet with rising prices with some families having to go to food banks, while some of these overpaid clowns aren't happy because they haven't been offered enough money, how can they possibly live on 200, 300, grand a week my heart goes out to them poor buggers. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

What's annoying certainly in this country is people are finding hard to make ends meet with rising prices with some families having to go to food banks, while some of these overpaid clowns aren't happy because they haven't been offered enough money, how can they possibly live on 200, 300, grand a week my heart goes out to them poor buggers. 

It's all relative though.  They aren't happy because they believe they are worth more than they are paid.  I'm sure people on here get paid more than they would 'need' to be paid to survive, and wouldn't be happy if tomorrow they had to accept less than they believe themselves to be worth.  Lots of people get paid more than footballers but no bugger seems to be that bothered about them or demanding salary caps in whatever area they work in.  J K Rowling is worth the best part of a billion quid just for writing books.  I love reading but nobody is telling me that her books are vital to society or whatever.  How many footballers do you think have that kind of wealth?  None, as far as I'm aware, certainly none whose primary income is from football.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
24 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It's all relative though.  They aren't happy because they believe they are worth more than they are paid.  I'm sure people on here get paid more than they would 'need' to be paid to survive, and wouldn't be happy if tomorrow they had to accept less than they believe themselves to be worth.  Lots of people get paid more than footballers but no bugger seems to be that bothered about them or demanding salary caps in whatever area they work in.  J K Rowling is worth the best part of a billion quid just for writing books.  I love reading but nobody is telling me that her books are vital to society or whatever.  How many footballers do you think have that kind of wealth?  None, as far as I'm aware, certainly none whose primary income is from football.

They're not worth more than they're getting paid, Messi, Mbappe and the like are on huge wages and some are still not satisfied. We're not talklng about someone playing for Hartlepool we're talking about overpaid  mercanary players which is what they are, who hold clubs to ransom if they don't get what they want.

J.K. Rowling is worth the best part of a billion because her books sell well and also the film rights to those books much like the owner of a Tech giant its entirely different.