Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

spongebob squarepants interview GIF

I guess if money is your main motivation then it isn't a problem.

May explain why they've gone through managers like my dog goes through chew toys...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 30.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Neverbefore

    1399

  • Borodane

    1350

  • Brunners

    1271

  • wilsoncgp

    1098

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Seems like he'll be a good fit at Watford. Just hope he takes it well when he inevitably gets sacked in a season or two.

A good fit? I would have to disagree with that. Watford are not known for showing faith in upcoming managers. I can see why he was tempted but seems a bad move for me.

A young manager like him needs to find a club who think long term and are patient. If he had gone to a Norwich or Swnasea then that would have been a good fit. 

This is a total mismatch for me

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

No Watford manager has ever lasted more than a season under the Pozzos.

Most haven't even lasted a full one.

Actually I think Zola managed a season and a half. Also Javi Gracia managed about the same in his spells in charge. Maybe Sanchez-Flores too. But yeah, its bonkers how many they've gone through (14 since the 2012-13 season). 

4 managers in the 2014-15 season and 3 in 2019-20. 😮

They've had pretty much zero stability or continuity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

A good fit? I would have to disagree with that. Watford are not known for showing faith in upcoming managers. I can see why he was tempted but seems a bad move for me.

A young manager like him needs to find a club who think long term and are patient. If he had gone to a Norwich or Swnasea then that would have been a good fit. 

This is a total mismatch for me

I wasn't talking about managerial ability or philosophy. I was referring to the way the negotiations were conducted. 😉 

He'll probably get exactly what he deserves in a season or so...

Just Leave Episode 4 GIF by BET Plus

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit confused about this.  He could only have left if he was out of contract, or if he had a clause allowing him to move on, in which case where's the complaint?  Is it just that they weren't told beforehand?  How often does that happen in football?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I'm a bit confused about this.  He could only have left if he was out of contract, or if he had a clause allowing him to move on, in which case where's the complaint?  Is it just that they weren't told beforehand?  How often does that happen in football?

yeah i think near enough everyone get's the question asked to them or their agent before anything happens, if only jsut to save wasting time. Often will be other players sounding them out when passing or playing on international duty etc. Against the rules but its more making direct approaches when under contract that leaves you more open to potential legal issues

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I'm a bit confused about this.  He could only have left if he was out of contract, or if he had a clause allowing him to move on, in which case where's the complaint?  Is it just that they weren't told beforehand?  How often does that happen in football?

There’s probably an element of the owner being totally p***ed off at losing his manager when they’ve got promotion. He’s already had to fight off Portsmouth who tried to nick their Director of Football. Probably thought the promotion would ensure the manager would want to stay - it was FGR that gave the manager his first job in the League, so it’s not surprising he was cheesed off at it all happening behind his back.. It appears he didn’t know about it until it was a done deal so couldn’t try to persuade him to change his mind like he did with the DofF.

Dale Vince the owner is a bit of a maverick anyway -  the vegan and zero-carbon crusades he’s on are fine, but apparently he funded the group whose started to tie themselves to goalposts in games. He reckons he didn’t know they were targeting football clubs, but he did know they were going to be protests that disrupted things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

There’s probably an element of the owner being totally p***ed off at losing his manager when they’ve got promotion. He’s already had to fight off Portsmouth who tried to nick their Director of Football. Probably thought the promotion would ensure the manager would want to stay - it was FGR that gave the manager his first job in the League, so it’s not surprising he was cheesed off at it all happening behind his back.. It appears he didn’t know about it until it was a done deal so couldn’t try to persuade him to change his mind like he did with the DofF.

Dale Vince the owner is a bit of a maverick anyway -  the vegan and zero-carbon crusades he’s on are fine, but apparently he funded the group whose started to tie themselves to goalposts in games. He reckons he didn’t know they were targeting football clubs, but he did know they were going to be protests that disrupted things.

to be fair who wouldn't want to goto watford when you only just got promoted from league 2.

You will no doubt as an owner be disappointed but it's a hell of a step up as a manager and if you don't take it and never get the chance elsewhere ever again you will always regret it. Even if you nailed on to get sacked in six months to a year if it don't work out, but if it does your a championship manager from then on for foreseeable future.

There is always the chance that he stays and gets relegated to league one, gets sacked in the process and he a league two manager for the forseable future. 

On flip side screws up at watford bad gets sacked, still a league two/one manager in next job, he has far more upside if believes in himself than he does just carrying on where he is and chance may never come again and thats not easy to look back and face, and you will be reminded of it every year when they sack their manager lol

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rob said:

to be fair who wouldn't want to goto watford when you only just got promoted from league 2.

You will no doubt as an owner be disappointed but it's a hell of a step up as a manager and if you don't take it and never get the chance elsewhere ever again you will always regret it. Even if you nailed on to get sacked in six months to a year if it don't work out, but if it does your a championship manager from then on for foreseeable future.

There is always the chance that he stays and gets relegated to league one, gets sacked in the process and he a league two manager for the forseable future. 

On flip side screws up at watford bad gets sacked, still a league two/one manager in next job, he has far more upside if believes in himself than he does just carrying on where he is and chance may never come again and thats not easy to look back and face, and you will be reminded of it every year when they sack their manager lol

 

Personally I'd love the chance to manage the team I got promoted to a level they've never played at before in their history, but then again I'm not all about the money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rob said:

to be fair who wouldn't want to goto watford when you only just got promoted from league 2.

You will no doubt as an owner be disappointed but it's a hell of a step up as a manager and if you don't take it and never get the chance elsewhere ever again you will always regret it. Even if you nailed on to get sacked in six months to a year if it don't work out, but if it does your a championship manager from then on for foreseeable future.

There is always the chance that he stays and gets relegated to league one, gets sacked in the process and he a league two manager for the forseable future. 

On flip side screws up at watford bad gets sacked, still a league two/one manager in next job, he has far more upside if believes in himself than he does just carrying on where he is and chance may never come again and thats not easy to look back and face, and you will be reminded of it every year when they sack their manager lol

 

There are a few managers who are building strong reputations from lower down who are getting chances further up the pyramid, it doesn't mean you should jump to the first option possible in the league above where you'll be, especially at a club where you have to maintain exceptional performances all year round just to be sure you'll be in a job.

Watford, as has been mentioned, are a basketcase when it comes to managers. If I was a football manager, Watford would be a massive red flag for me unless I was outside of the football league. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Edwards will have a Championship sacking on his CV before the end of next season, not that it will necessarily be deserved but it will be something that never goes away and may lead to him struggling to get another Championship job in the aftermath.

Honestly, he'd probably have been better off letting Watford hire somebody else, sack them, then join them midway through the season like Xisco did. At least then he'd likely be getting sacked as a Prem manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So who are we wanting to go up in the playoffs? 

I haven't really got a preference in terms of the club's but I think as far as our chances next season it'd probably be best for Sheff United to go up.

Forest will be noticeably weaker without Spence and with Johnson likely to be sold.

Luton are punching.

Huddersfield are also punching and likely to lose a couple best players aswell. O'Brian linked with a few prem teams.

Sheff United have the best squad on paper and are still getting parachute payments so probably best they get out the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Found the game good to watch with no team clearly looking the better prospect.

Decent result a few obvious decisions not made for either side.

The most noticeable difference was the speed of the game and the desire of both teams, something Il ook forward to from Boro next season

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

So who are we wanting to go up in the playoffs? 

I haven't really got a preference in terms of the club's but I think as far as our chances next season it'd probably be best for Sheff United to go up.

Forest will be noticeably weaker without Spence and with Johnson likely to be sold.

Luton are punching.

Huddersfield are also punching and likely to lose a couple best players aswell. O'Brian linked with a few prem teams.

Sheff United have the best squad on paper and are still getting parachute payments so probably best they get out the way.

I don’t have a preference and just going to enjoy the games. I’m more concerned about who is coming down as it poses a challenge next season. Well if we get it right with transfers and settle quickly but I believe the target will be a playoff spot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...