oneBoro Forum

Non-Boro Football

Harry Redknapp has just joined Twitter (after claiming he can hardly read, write or use a computer during his tax trial) and he's already delivering gold, and when I say gold I mean utter horse***e. Here is some expertly picked up by F365's media watch....

Harry Redknapp has been on Twitter around 24 hours and he's already tripping himself up. We're not hugely shocked.

In an interview with Kicca (us neither) that was published through 'Arry's Twitter account, our man advised West Ham of the best way forward with their new manager.

'''I'd like to see him [Rio Ferdinand] as manager of West Ham. I'd go with him as director of football - that would be a good partnership."

It's an interesting take, Harry. Particularly from a man who said this in November 2014 on the subject of Directors of Football:

"It totally undermines your role as manager if you're not picking the players. It's a joke really that you are expected to work with someone else's players. It's all very well someone recommending players to you but when they don't work out, it's your head on the block.

"I'm just not in favour of that. As a manager I have to select the players, train them every day and make decisions. To expect me to work with players someone else has decided I want is a nonsense. I want to make my own decisions and rightfully so. If things don't work out fine, I'm responsible for that. But why should I be accountable for someone else's mistakes?"

Someone's changed their tune...

'Arry didn't stop talking there, however; not by a long shot. Instead he spoke of his fond memories of Rio Ferdinand after the defender's retirement.

'I signed Rio as a 14-year-old and it doesn't seem like 10 minutes ago that I was sitting in the dressing room with him and his mate Tony McFarlane at West Ham's training ground,' Redknapp wrote.

'They came together, two kids from South London. Me and Frank Lampard Sr were chatting to them and they were asking us questions like 'What do the players eat before they play?' 'What boots does Di Canio wear?' 'How do they warm up?'.

Okay, so where to start with this? Firstly, Rio originally joined West Ham as an 11-year-old rather than at 14. However, even if we take that as a semantic misunderstanding things get a little murky.

Rio Ferdinand didn't turn 15 until November 7 1993, so we will assume that this anecdote happened in 1993 at some point. Why on earth was Rio asking about Paolo Di Canio's boots when the Italian was playing for Juventus and Napoli that year?

In fact, Di Canio didn't join West Ham until 1999, when Ferdinand was 20 and had made 75 appearances for the club. Are we to believe he was still starstruck then?

• Replies 34.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

Thats a bit pedantic and taking everything litterally. I would imagine rio and his mate asked about someones boots but 20 odd yrs later it may be difficult to remember whos. I guess he was just making a piont. And as for dates and ages i get them wrong all the time

Of course he could cover himself and just say rio and his mate sat down with me and someone he was young and asked about a players boots and what they ate

Great story cue the tweets about how boring he is His best bet was to stay off twitter. No good can come of it

Thats a bit pedantic and taking everything litterally. I would imagine rio and his mate asked about someones boots but 20 odd yrs later it may be difficult to remember whos. I guess he was just making a piont. And as for dates and ages i get them wrong all the time

Of course he could cover himself and just say rio and his mate sat down with me and someone he was young and asked about a players boots and what they ate

Great story cue the tweets about how boring he is His best bet was to stay off twitter. No good can come of it

His best bet is to just stop talking really.

So Ste Mac has signed for newcastle, saying when he was at Boro he realised Newcastle were a huge club and wanted to go there in 2004, and always wanted to come newcastle.....

Of course, taking the England job, the 4 or 5 jobs after that, and telling derby he had no intentions of leaving to go to Newcastle until he was sacked really shows he always wanted to go there....

So Ste Mac has signed for newcastle, saying when he was at Boro he realised Newcastle were a huge club and wanted to go there in 2004, and always wanted to come newcastle.....

Of course, taking the England job, the 4 or 5 jobs after that, and telling derby he had no intentions of leaving to go to Newcastle until he was sacked really shows he always wanted to go there....

aye...seems to be a keen follower of the Robbie Keane school of  apre transfer speech school :D

Shepherd was on talksport saying how they tried to poach him from us but McLAren couldn't break his contract so there's probably something on it. Its not as if he's doing a Robbie keane

He does seem like a 'the grass is always greener' kind of guy. Always getting his head turned.

I do love the bit he said about Newcastle being one of the top clubs in Europe though. :D

Mclaren has always been career orientated. There is no loyalty. If he can take a step up he will if liverpool offered him a job 3weeks into the season hed be off

Mclaren has always been career orientated.  There is no loyalty. If he can take a step up he will if liverpool offered him a job 3weeks into the season hed be off

Indeed and he considered leaving us twice (Newcastle and Leeds).  I don't say that negatively because he's trying to make the most of his career so fair play to him.  Odd thing is that he's only left two clubs to go to another job, us to England and Twente to Wolfsburg.  The other times he's been out of work already I think. 

I've always thought of him as a smug, self righteous, ***. Even when he was with us