• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their is a fascinating article about the Boro in today’s Athletic... Nine championship games in 29 days.  Following a team in their maddest run ever.    Neil Warnock was on the pit

Centuries ago Villages had ducking stools whereby if the person drowned they were innocent and if they lived they were guilty and sentenced to death. Nowadays not much has changed sadly. Idiots postin

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I probably shouldn’t have made things public, but I was at as very low ebb. It’s been a difficult year, not made better by COVID. Lockdown bucket lists aren’t

Posted Images

They will get more that's why. Man city are desperate for home grown players.

Absolute joke these transfer fees. He is in no way shape or form worth over £30m. But as you say, they will get more as English players are generally overpriced...Carroll £35m, Luke Shaw £30m, Jordan Henderson £20m

Someone's only worth what the other team is willing to pay really. It depends on the circumstances. What's worth it for one team may not be worth it for another. They will also be some inflated fees over the next few seasons with all the new TV money.

Someone's only worth what the other team is willing to pay really. It depends on the circumstances. What's worth it for one team may not be worth it for another. They will also be some inflated fees over the next few seasons with all the new TV money.

I think this is the way it is going. I know football transfer fees are out of control already but this week I have read £73m for Courtois, £66m for Pogba, £110m for Bale.

These figures are beyond comprehension. And the richer the clubs get the more they are likely to fork out these astronomical sums.

I guess their rationale is more spent = more success, more shirts sold, bigger crowds etc. but we are going to have an even more ridiculous divide between the haves and have nots.

How long until the break away European super league happens?

I think this is the way it is going. I know football transfer fees are out of control already but this week I have read £73m for Courtois, £66m for Pogba, £110m for Bale.

These figures are beyond comprehension. And the richer the clubs get the more they are likely to fork out these astronomical sums.

I guess their rationale is more spent = more success, more shirts sold, bigger crowds etc. but we are going to have an even more ridiculous divide between the haves and have nots.

Five years....in the words of King Bowie :D

Yeah there has been a couple of letters sent into F365 discussing this lately. Here is one......

I've been meaning to write in about this for a while and given the season's end has passed, I'll chance you have the room for a grumpy old man rant:

I hate the Champions League.

There. I've said it. I hate:

1) that finishing fourth was the aim for my club this season, which meant we had to spin that plate with sticking plaster signings like Falcao rather than concentrating solely on building the foundations for another domestic title-winning side or going for a cup (same goes for Fergie ditching the domestic cups in order to prioritise another CL win before retirement);

2) that signing any "top, top player" nowadays seems completely dependent on whether you can offer CL football, meaning only a small cartel of FFP cemented clubs can only ever get the cream - does it not sadden anyone else that the days of Juninho and Ravenelli turning up at Middlesbrough, or Klinsmann rocking up at White Hart Lane have gone?

3) the constant speculation about whether we will lose our fourth qualifying place or (like there was in the Mailbox recently) any argument about creating play-offs for it, as if our premier domestic title has somehow been relegated to a second tier/Championship equivalent for the Champions League; and

4) that the format is purely designed so as to ensure that "the big clubs" get their six group stage games guaranteed for TV and attendance revenue, with seeding ensuring (most of the time) that we see the same teams in the knock-out stages each year - people forget the revamp was simply UEFA's compromise to stop a breakaway 'European' league by the big clubs, which only works for those clubs if they're in it each year, and thus the magic of the cup was sold off in return for a predictable half-solution.

We pay a lot of money to see our teams play each other every week and it deeply saddens me some people seem fine selling that out for another Classico. The CL should be a magical European reward for the champions (and I say that with United having won in 1999 having qualified in second), the UEFA Cup an FA Cup-style best of the rest, and you could even have a competition for those who have won their main domestic cups, call it the Cup Winners Cup or something. You could then sell the TV rights for all three together. Mental I know.

I realise this all sounds like 'it was better in my day' but I'm 32...am I going mad, or does anyone else agree?

David P, Manchester (MUFC)

Here is one responding to that.....

...Interesting point made this morning regarding how the Champions League has ruined football and it's hard to disagree. To me, it seems to go hand in hand with the Premier League era as well.

A couple of stats I used my lunch break to look at:

In the 23 years since the Premier League started 9 teams have won the League or the FA Cup. In the 23 years before the Premier league started 16 different teams won one of England's top 2 trophies.

Between 1900 and 1993 only 3 teams did the 'Double'. Since 1993 it's happened 6 times.

Between 1970 and 1992, 13 different teams were runners up or winners, including Derby, Watford, Southampton and Ipswich. Since the Premier League began 8 teams have finished 2nd or better and only once (Leeds in 2000) since 1997 has someone other than Man United, ***nal, City, Chelsea and Liverpool finished in the top 3.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say, but it's not great for competitive football in England is it.

Gary Orford, LFC

Interesting and valid discussion imo

Yeah there has been a couple of letters sent into F365 discussing this lately. Here is one......

I've been meaning to write in about this for a while and given the season's end has passed, I'll chance you have the room for a grumpy old man rant:

I hate the Champions League.

There. I've said it. I hate:

1) that finishing fourth was the aim for my club this season, which meant we had to spin that plate with sticking plaster signings like Falcao rather than concentrating solely on building the foundations for another domestic title-winning side or going for a cup (same goes for Fergie ditching the domestic cups in order to prioritise another CL win before retirement);

2) that signing any "top, top player" nowadays seems completely dependent on whether you can offer CL football, meaning only a small cartel of FFP cemented clubs can only ever get the cream - does it not sadden anyone else that the days of Juninho and Ravenelli turning up at Middlesbrough, or Klinsmann rocking up at White Hart Lane have gone?

3) the constant speculation about whether we will lose our fourth qualifying place or (like there was in the Mailbox recently) any argument about creating play-offs for it, as if our premier domestic title has somehow been relegated to a second tier/Championship equivalent for the Champions League; and

4) that the format is purely designed so as to ensure that "the big clubs" get their six group stage games guaranteed for TV and attendance revenue, with seeding ensuring (most of the time) that we see the same teams in the knock-out stages each year - people forget the revamp was simply UEFA's compromise to stop a breakaway 'European' league by the big clubs, which only works for those clubs if they're in it each year, and thus the magic of the cup was sold off in return for a predictable half-solution.

We pay a lot of money to see our teams play each other every week and it deeply saddens me some people seem fine selling that out for another Classico. The CL should be a magical European reward for the champions (and I say that with United having won in 1999 having qualified in second), the UEFA Cup an FA Cup-style best of the rest, and you could even have a competition for those who have won their main domestic cups, call it the Cup Winners Cup or something. You could then sell the TV rights for all three together. Mental I know.

I realise this all sounds like 'it was better in my day' but I'm 32...am I going mad, or does anyone else agree?

David P, Manchester (MUFC)

Here is one responding to that.....

...Interesting point made this morning regarding how the Champions League has ruined football and it's hard to disagree. To me, it seems to go hand in hand with the Premier League era as well.

A couple of stats I used my lunch break to look at:

In the 23 years since the Premier League started 9 teams have won the League or the FA Cup. In the 23 years before the Premier league started 16 different teams won one of England's top 2 trophies.

Between 1900 and 1993 only 3 teams did the 'Double'. Since 1993 it's happened 6 times.

Between 1970 and 1992, 13 different teams were runners up or winners, including Derby, Watford, Southampton and Ipswich. Since the Premier League began 8 teams have finished 2nd or better and only once (Leeds in 2000) since 1997 has someone other than Man United, ***nal, City, Chelsea and Liverpool finished in the top 3.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say, but it's not great for competitive football in England is it.

Gary Orford, LFC

Interesting and valid discussion imo

Some good views there.

And the champions league is on BT this yr so sky customers have a big choice if they are that bothered. For me i wont mind missing the champions league. I might get a bit twitchy when the semis and finals happen but the early rounds mean nothing.

Im not sure a euro league will ever be a winner. Teams in spain and italy often have tiny crowds for champions league games even against big teams.

And the champions league is on BT this yr so sky customers have a big choice if they are that bothered. For me i wont mind missing the champions league. I might get a bit twitchy when the semis and finals happen but the early rounds mean nothing.

Im not sure a euro league will ever be a winner. Teams in spain and italy often have tiny crowds for champions league games even against big teams.

I will be honest I had not even considered adding BT to my package. Even though I watch a fair bit of the CL, maybe I just won't miss it.

I think the biggest sadness for me is that there are too many top, top teams that have no desire to win anything any more. They would much rather finish 4th than win one of the cups. Which I think tragic. If you are not playing to try and win something then what is the point?