oneBoro Forum

Free Agents And Loans

Guys

I knew no-one was coming today. TBH i've been saying it to me dad all week that i generally do feel that Mowbray is happy with what we have got and after Millers debut last Saturday, unless Emnes was sold i couldn't see us signing a striker. Miller BTW will be a brilliant strike Partner for Marvin, he holds the ball up well and Emnes could be good this season with a striker like him to fed off.

Also George Friend is more than a capable replacement for Bennett at LB, plus we have back-up in Reach.

All in all i am generally happy with the squad we have and its more than capable of getting into the top 6 :).

^^^^^^^^^ This

Also, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say Nick Powell. The whole Mogga going to Crewe matches and Mike Phelan coming to ours seems to tie together. Teams at our level will be clambering for him, just like with McEachran...

Regardless, I'm happy so far. Bikey would be a necessity if he's the answer to the CB problem. But as always, in Mogga we trust.

x

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

2plus2

I get the impression from some of our fans that their still think of us as a Premier League club. The matter of fact is deadline deals days are a long way off for our club. We just have to accept that we're a Championship club and might be for a while longer.

I think we realise we are a championship side Kayleigh however I didn't see the likes of Maynard or sharp join a premiership side, I think that's are frustration

Sharp went to Forest, a team that were wayyy behind us last year. Cardiff finished one place ahead of us and got Maynard.

its not about thinking we're a premier league team, its about ambition to get back there.

@Glado

We simply couldn't afford to bring those types of players in mate. A lot of our signings that came in come on low wages. We just have to get realistic now and not expect the big type of signings.

FYI - the two biggest signings in the summer as far as i'm concerned were keeping Bailey and Williams.

But when your told players don't have to be sold and Bennett goes then your told any money would be re-invested but isn't you do start to wonder.

Considering a lot of deals today were loans and not big bucks being splashed out I really do think we could rue this as a mistake

its not about thinking we're a premier league team, its about ambition to get back there.

I understand this. But consider two mindsets...

(1) How we all felt about our prospects 2 or 3 days ago before we got linked to all of these players.

(2) What we think now after we missed out.

Fact of the matter is that most of us were pretty happy with what we had and felt like we had a real chance of promotion this year. Of course there were one or two spots that we felt could do with improvement, but not many of us were splurting out extortionate fees in order to fill those gaps. There are realistic free / loans that we can now use to address this - players that we were previously happy to invite in! ie. Amougou, Castelen etc. However, after a disappointing transfer deadline day suddenly half of the fans on here are bemoaning out lack of ambition.

As far as I'm concerned Mogga's ambition is clear, and he has pretty much already assembled his squad. I have no complaints and am chuffed and excited by the transfers this summer. We can talk about a lack of a goalscorer, but let's give those we have a chance. There are a lot of strikers here who are ready to prove themselves now but haven't yet truly been given the chance - certainly not in our current set-up anyway. Jutkiewicz and Emnes have the potential to strike up an excellent partnership. And there are plenty of other genuinely exciting options already available to us.

Joe Bennett asked for the move mate, i don't think Mowbray was gonna stand in his way. He cost our club nothing so it wasn't worth keeping a player that didn't really want to be here.

Also Mowbray has said on a number of occasion's that he'll only sign a play if he thought they'd fit into the squad. He might have had Maynard and Sharp scouted but found out both were bad influences and we've got young players in our squad you don't want them learning their bad behaviour do you?

(1) How we all felt about our prospects 2 or 3 days ago before we got linked to all of these players.

I felt that we still needed a natural goalscorer.

But when your told players don't have to be sold and Bennett goes then your told any money would be re-invested but isn't you do start to wonder.

Considering a lot of deals today were loans and not big bucks being splashed out I really do think we could rue this as a mistake

We might rue not bringing in some of these players. But we don't know the ins and outs of the finances. They might not have been doable. And the big bucks might be important in terms of our debts (far more important then the excitement of a transfer deadline day signing).

Also, the reinvestment of the Bennett sale could be considered as done so by signing those players earlier in the transfer window. I know it's in reverse, but it's essentially the same outcome.

He might have hadSharp scouted but found out both were bad influences and we've got young players in our squad you don't want them learning their bad behaviour do you?

Bad influence? The bloke is a credit to the game!

Joe Bennett asked for the move mate, i don't think Mowbray was gonna stand in his way. He cost our club nothing so it wasn't worth keeping a player that didn't really want to be here.

Also Mowbray has said on a number of occasion's that he'll only sign a play if he thought they'd fit into the squad. He might have had Maynard and Sharp scouted but found out both were bad influences and we've got young players in our squad you don't want them learning their bad behaviour do you?

Dont mean to be rude but are you really that clueless to suggest Billy Sharp would be a bad influence on our youth his son died and he still played very soon after it happened, he strikes me as a top guy! You Fool.

Prowler

I don't think for a second Sharp was on the radar.

Well, he should have been, as soon as Southampton announced he was available on loan, we should have been on that like bees on honey.

I didn't know that about Sharp and sorry that something like that has happened to him and to be honest i don't know a great deal about him.

All i'm concerned about is the players we have left now and that should be the main focus.

I felt that we still needed a natural goalscorer.

Fair enough mate. I would have certainly liked to see one or two of those rumoured targets coming in, no doubt about it. But I also think some of our current players are good enough. Maybe a lot on here will disagree with me, but, despite some of my previous criticisms, I think a Jutkiewicz-Emnes partnership in the current set-up has a hell of a lot of potential. And some of our other strikers here could shine too. Of course you could argue that bringing someone else in will increase the likelihood of fielding an in form striker, but you can overcompensate and cause more problems then solutions. Also, signing a striker (even a so-called proven one) doesn't guarantee that he'll score a boatload after a move.

It's too easy to basically say 'if we sign so and so we will do better', but to blame all our failures on this if we don't. We could have a fantastic season and finish second, and there would still be some who are unhappy and on the lookout for a scapegoat.