oneBoro Forum

Atokous' Football Manager 2013 Story

Atokous' Football Manager 2013 Story

So the moment has finally come, the much anticipated (or at least i like to think so) blog of my football manager 2013 experience has arrived. As per normal i will be starting with Middlesborough and after that, we'll see what happens; i don't really have an aim past making Boro the best team in the world :) My first post will take you through my setting up of the club, transfers and will end after pre-season. I hope you find this worth reading.

I am only allowed 10 images per post so i will simply split this post into two to get round that :)

So without without further ado:

pritchardtakeschargeatboro.png

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Middlesbrough, the brief history is always an enthralling read :p

mfc-abackground.png

Given Middlesbrough's current financial situation, my initial aim was to remove as much of the dead weight as i possibly could, be it through selling or simply releasing. Some Boro fans might be outraged at some of the prices players went for and some of the youngsters i let go but unfortunately, the player potentials in the game aren't quite like those in real life.

Before we get onto transfers, it is very important to have a good set of staff in this game and that was the area that i looked at first. The majority of the original Boro staff simply didn't make the cut so there was a major re-shuffle of personnel. My favourite signing being the french legend Eric Cantona as my Director of Football. A full list of my staff below:

[align=center]staffpt1.png

scoutpt2.png[/align]

Most of the areas i am at least adequately satisfied with however the coaching department will need serious improvement once the club is able to attract better employees. Once i'd organised all the coaches, this is how the training schedules looked:

training.png

It's not terrible but there is defiantly serious room for improvement.

Moving on to transfers and my season expectations. I decided that, in line with reality, promotion should be the aim of the club. The squad, in general, is balanced and possesses strength in depth and certain players have the quality to really shine in this league.

seasonexpectations.png

I didn't feel there were any huge improvements that needed to be made to the squad. My main target was a left back and i picked up this guy on a free. He is older than i would have liked but he is miles better than Friend in that position and should be fine for a season or two.

delhorno.png

There was also a lack of width in the team. I couldn't really find anyone who would considerably improve my team as i have many players capable of playing out wide so i settled for a squad filler who i picked up, again, for free.

kossoko.png

I will be playing a 4-5-1 formation and i decided that i could use a bit more quality in the AM© role so i secured the services of Formica on loan from Blackburn.

formica.png

After all that i was happy with the squad that i had and felt that there was no need to change anything else when disaster struck.

readingwilliamsbid.png

I forgot to take a screen of Rhys' profile but for those of you who don't know, he is a young centre back who also happens to be the best one (in the game) and my club captain.

This all happened extremely late on in the transfer window and i couldn't find a suitable CB replacement so i decided to spend a bit of his transfer fee on a really promising young Brazilian:

wellingtonnem.png

transfersIN.png

There is a long list of those who have departed with Boro during the first transfer window:

[align=center]transfersOUTpt1.png

transfersOUTpt2.png[/align]

With everything in place i am confident of a prosperous season for the club even with the departure of Rhys. The pre-season fixtures were also encouraging with many different players getting on the score sheet and an impressive 2-0 win over Wigan.

[/img]

There were also two goals that i thought i'd share with you:

[align=center][video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

[/align]

The cross by Hoyte in the second video is just ridiculous. I was slightly worried by our inability to keep a clean sheet but overall i was happy with the results of our pre-season :)

That's pretty much it for this instalment. I hope it was a worthwhile read for you and you will be back for my next update. If you have any questions or comments i would love to hear/answer them :)

Thanks,

Atok

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad i came to this forum and found you here, as i said in the other thread i used your blog alot for quick help and transfer buys so will be keeping an eye out for this for some usefull tips. Good job mate!.

One question though, what impact does the director of football have in an average FM game? - Can't say i've played about with that role before.

Sorry, i missed out the overview of my final squad in the post and due to the image count restrictions i can't edit it in.

squadpt1.png

squadpt2.png

I took the screen after pre-season had ended so i thought i'd block out all the stats so i can keep next episode a secret :P

Glad i came to this forum and found you here, as i said in the other thread i used your blog alot for quick help and transfer buys so will be keeping an eye out for this for some usefull tips. Good job mate!.

One question though, what impact does the director of football have in an average FM game? - Can't say i've played about with that role before.

I'm blushing :blush:

The Director of Football is a new feature in FM2013. Like in real life the DOF is mainly used in connection with buying and selling players. I've found him extremely useful in helping to sell players as you can add them to the unwanted list and he will take care of the rest. He can also help you find and sign transfer targets although i wouldn't advise giving him a free reign to bring in whoever he wants.

Overall i think its a really great new feature if you choose to use it :)

Did you get the Wellington Nem tip from me Atokous? That way I can claim a small bit of success in your inevitable road to success! :P jk

Great opening posts mate, looking forward to seeing more!

I've played this game since it existed back I'm the champ man days im very very unimpressed ATM maybe I will change my mind but as it stands I actually can't stand this new version .........I'm gutted.......gets rope.....ties knot

Nice work Atokous. I used to spend hours playing the old Championship Manager games (mostly CM4). Made a rather disastrous foray into FIFA Manager and lost interest very quickly as it just seemed so difficult. The game told you what you needed to do but gave you very little idea of how to do it (and the manual was very little help either).

This looks a very in-depth game with shed-loads of detail. How long did it actually take you to organise your staff and playing squad? Also, is the game fairly intuitive, or did you have to spend a lot of time searching through menus / reading the manual?

this FM13 is easy too play but seems totally against the user with a very unfair advantage in my opinion huntsboro. Im still trying to adjust to it. seems very different too FM12 which would be good in most cases but it seems that its TOO different.

Did you get the Wellington Nem tip from me Atokous? That way I can claim a small bit of success in your inevitable road to success! :P jk

Great opening posts mate, looking forward to seeing more!

Of course i got the tip from you......

132711537550-shifty-eyes_o_GIFSou.gif

I've played this game since it existed back I'm the champ man days im very very unimpressed ATM maybe I will change my mind but as it stands I actually can't stand this new version .........I'm gutted.......gets rope.....ties knot

I'm really liking some of the new features, the DOF for example. Still struggling to get to grips with the new training format but overall i think it's a good game :)

Why did you get rid of Rippers?

In game stats and potential meant he was never going to have any real impact in the squad. Instead of wasting time on him i'd rather pay someone with better potential and at the same time remove his wages. The harsh reality of FM management :p

why did you block certain stats out mate?

The screen was taken midway into the first season and the stats gave away too much (ie goals scored/cenceded etc..). I want to keep it a surprise :)

Nice work Atokous. I used to spend hours playing the old Championship Manager games (mostly CM4). Made a rather disastrous foray into FIFA Manager and lost interest very quickly as it just seemed so difficult. The game told you what you needed to do but gave you very little idea of how to do it (and the manual was very little help either).

This looks a very in-depth game with shed-loads of detail. How long did it actually take you to organise your staff and playing squad? Also, is the game fairly intuitive, or did you have to spend a lot of time searching through menus / reading the manual?

this FM13 is easy too play but seems totally against the user with a very unfair advantage in my opinion huntsboro. Im still trying to adjust to it. seems very different too FM12 which would be good in most cases but it seems that its TOO different.

The general layout and features of the game are the same as FM12 and once you play it for a bit you get to grips with the new stuff (except the new training which i'm still struggling to understand fully...). It's simply a case of trial and error. There are tutorials online everywhere you can read which help you out.

It took me a good few hours and many sheets of paper :p Again, more a case of trial (based on previous experience) and then inevitable error :p

Great read, gave me some much needed motivation back, as I've been kind of burnt out FM wise lately, and barely played during the beta. Really looking forward to following your progress.

Anyways, any particular reason your playing without logos(PL) and a facepack? I honestly can't stand playing without those myself :p

Great read, gave me some much needed motivation back, as I've been kind of burnt out FM wise lately, and barely played during the beta. Really looking forward to following your progress.

Anyways, any particular reason your playing without logos(PL) and a facepack? I honestly can't stand playing without those myself :p

Glad i can be of assistance :)

I can't figure out how to get them to work on my mac....... it's ***ing me of :p

Glad i can be of assistance :)

I can't figure out how to get them to work on my mac....... it's *** me of :p

I have just figured this out for myself after much trying and re-trying!

the destination folder for any Mac OSX users is as follows:

applications\sports interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\sigfx\graphics\pictures

drop any of the folders into here for faces pack etc and do as standard instructions say unticking use skin cache and ticking always reload skin on confirm under display and sound in the preferences screen.

Wellington Nem seems like a good signing. I've signed Karim Aït Fana myself for the wing. Was actually surprised I could attract him. There are some seriously weird results going on. Winning 6-1 away agains Huddersfield and the losing 1-4 at home against Wednesday 4 days later! 3rd after 18 games