oneBoro Forum

U21's vs. Fulham (H) Mon 19th Nov - Match Report

On a very cold, wet and windy afternoon at Rockliffe Middlesbrough U21’s hosted Fulham with what was a very strong squad including 5 players with first team experience. Jayson Leutwiler started in goal with Andy Halliday at left back and an attacking trident of Cameron Park and Adam Reach wide and Luke Williams central.

With the loan window closing this Thursday the match attracted a lot of scouts, assistant managers and managers from all about. New Hartlepool manager John ‘Yogi ’ Hughes was in attendance as was Hull manager Steve Bruce along with his assistant and one time Boro U21 coach Steve Agnew.

Middlesbrough started brightly in conditions that would hinder both sides. Fulham were the first to strike at goal though, Cauley Woodrow who scored a hat trick for the U18’s on the same pitch earlier this season worked the ball well onto his right foot but his low drive was easily saved by Leutwiler.

Andy Halliday who has found first team appearances hard to come by this season, looked good at left back, attacking well and linking up with Reach and Williams. It was Halliday who forced a mistake from Brister which allowed Williams to get onto the ball cutting in from the left and drilling the ball low across the Fulham goal but no one was able to capitalise and tap the ball home.

Adam Reach and Luke Williams both had half chances which were well saved by the impressive David Stockdale. The former Darlington stopper and England call up saved superbly down to his left to keep an angled Williams drive out.

Fulham were not here for the ride though, Woodrow who was to prove to be a thrown in the defenders side all game had a great opportunity when Fulham won the ball after poor Boro movement. He was played in and had a low shot well saved by Leutwiler who was quick off his line. From the resulting corner Woodrow got free and shot past the big Swiss stopper only to see his shot cleared off the line by Kyle Oliver (?) who was in the right place at the right time to keep the scores level.

Boro went up the other end and Luke Williams got rewarded for his persistence, he lost the ball and the Fulham defender tried to see it out for a goal kick but Williams managed to get back in and steal the ball before being tripped, the referee pointed to the spot and Boro had a penalty. Andy Halliday strode up confidently and drove the ball to the left with Stockdale going the wrong way.

BORO GOAL – Halliday (pen)

Luke Williams was having a good strong half, he next picked the ball up and cut onto his right foot before unleashing a curling shot that looked destined for the top corner. Stockdale though showed why he had been called up to the England squad by not only saving it but holding onto it in the terrible conditions.

Boro were turning the screw, a good Boro passing move saw Reach move forward with the ball before laying it off to Williams who laid in Brobbel on the edge of the Fulham box, he jinked inside his man and hit a powerful drive that Stockdale could only parry into the air. Fulham went straight down the other end and Woodrow got the ball with Leutwiler coming out to close him down, the Fulham forward went to the left and Leutwiler followed and saved well with his legs.

Josh Pritchard ended the half with a great bit of skill for the visitors, a step over roll gave him space to strike the ball from all of 30 yards but again, Leutwiler in the Boro goal was equal to it, saving low down.

Half Time Middlesbrough 1 (Halliday Pen) Fulham 0

Middlesbrough were playing a 4-3-3 formation with Halliday left back, Andre Bennett right back and the impressive pairing of Kyle Oliver and Christian Burgess at centre back. Matthew Dolan the captain sat in front of the back 4 commanding play like a general commanding his troops on the battlefield. With Dolan sitting it allowed Matthew Waters and Ryan Brobbel to get forward and link up with Luke Williams who was central on his own. Cameron Park and Adam Reach both were wide spreading the pitch well and making space for the runners.

Middlesbrough started the 2nd half quickly, Ryan Brobbel pulling a shot well wide and Luke Williams ending a strike a similar way. Fulham were unlucky not to level the scores when Pritchard went one better that his 1st half strike. He curled the ball from distance and was unfortunate to see it clip the outside of the post and go wide.

Halliday consistently got forward from left back, he managed to intercept the ball just inside the Boro half and strode forward with purpose he was crudely stopped though by Fulham’s Arthurworrey though. Cameron Park hit a thunderbolt shot from the resulting free kick that again, Stockdale held superbly.

Middlesbrough doubled their advantage with a great flowing move. Matthew Waters superbly switched the ball from left to right opening up the pitch, Adam Reach controlled the ball and when Andre Bennett overlapped it gave him the space to put in a pin point cross straight onto the head of Luke Williams who headed in at Stockdale’s near post.

GOAL BORO – Williams

FULHAM SUB – Islamovic off, Tankovic on. Banya off, Della Verde on.

BORO SUB – Park off, Fowler on. Reach off, Sirrell on. Brobbel off, Weldon on.

Fulham after the changes were a lot more attacking but as the weather got worse so did the opportunity to create clear cut chances. Andy Halliday managed to get forward again but as he struck the ball it was blocked away for a corner.

Full Time Middlesbrough 2 Fulham 0

Boro – Leutwiler, Bennett, Halliday, Dolan ©, Burgess, Oliver, Park (Fowler), Brobbel (Weldon), Waters, Williams, Reach (Sirrell).

Unused – Ripley (GK), Edwards

Fulham – Stockdale, Brister, Musa, Pritchard, Grimmer, Minkwitz, Woodrow, Altman, Banya (Della Verde) Islamovic (Tankovic), Arthurworrey.

Unused – Bettinelli.

Thoughts/MOTM

Boro seemed to be in control for the majority of the game bar a few Woodrow chances and Pritchard hitting the post. Waters and Brobbel used their advanced midfield roles well to support Williams who was very impressive in the first half. Bennett was solid at right back not allowing Banya or Altman any space. Halliday as expected got forward well and linked up with the other first team experienced players. Dolan as usual seemed in control of the game and the central defensive pairing of Burgess and Oliver looked solid.

Man of the Match for me was Luke Williams. He was a pain in the Fulham defenders sides all game, and if it wasn’t for 2 great Stockdale saves he would have had a hat trick. Great header to find the net and double the Boro lead.

Do you think Halliday is ready to step in for Friend?. I saw him come on late at Barnsley and he looked confident and had bags of energy so I've got a bit of faith in him being able to fill in for a few games, but it was only a brief cameo where Barnsley were mainly on the back foot so its not the best game to form an opinion on.

I think he will struggle in was that Bennett did, like being targetted for aerial balls. But i feel if he was asked to come in (i personally dont think he will be) he could do a job in the position and hold his own.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/november/19/u21s-v-middlesbrough

Fulhams report on todays game (so people can see how bias i am hehe)

I still remain of the opinion that Adam Reach is the most natural left back currently on the books. The club do not appear to agree with me so I guess that's not going to happen.

The U 18s game with Fulham at Montspur Park has a video on the Fulham web site. We actually lost 6 - 0 so I don't think we'll dwell on that.

yeah thats 11 in two games Fulham have bagged vs Boro, Woodrow and Tankovic both have scored hat tricks past Boro this season. (and fulham have 5 hat tricks this season so far, Woodrow has 2 of them)

I think he will struggle in was that Bennett did, like being targetted for aerial balls. But i feel if he was asked to come in (i personally dont think he will be) he could do a job in the position and hold his own.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/november/19/u21s-v-middlesbrough

Fulhams report on todays game (so people can see how bias i am hehe)

There manager said

Symons told fulhamfc.com: “I actually thought this was an evenly matched game, and had we made more of our early chances then perhaps we could have had something to show.

“We had a very young side out today, in what were very difficult conditions. But that’s not an excuse, because as the result suggests we just weren’t good enough. That said, there were positives to be taken and it was good experience for them.

So it was evenly matched but they werent good enough. Im confused does that mean we werent good enough either