oneBoro Forum

Boro Vs Watford (H)

I think tactical thinking around an opponent is always something to be considered, but feel an overrider here is that at home we set the pace. With Watford playing so deep and really making the middle and last 3rd very tight I think balls wizzing in from left and right would have really unsettled them. We played into their hands yesterday - McEchran with his nibble feet and ability to pass a tight ball allowed us to play through them for the first half hour but he clearly is not yet fully fit and this effectiveness eased off. Once he was off I'd have put Smallwood on (he has been great of late) for McEchran, taken Haroun off and played a middle of Ledesma (one side, maybe even switched every 10 mins) had Smallwood and Leadbitter in the middle with Reach on the other wing and pushed Juke and MacDonald right onto their back 4 to stretch them. Having Haroun, Reach and Ledesma in the middle with Leadbitter was poor shape in my view. Watford were no better than us but they played it cute and we fell for it combined with a daft mistake.

As I said last night - too many injured players coming back in one go did not help.

It is not the end of the world though - Boro are far better than last year and bar the Bristol City game have been good to watch (for those who went to the games the flow and atmosphere was painful last year).

Stick with it - lets hope we beat Leicester - I lived their many years and played for Woodhouse Eves and Gilmorton in local leagues. Was there when they beat us in the league cup, so would love to have some bragging rights over my old mates from down there.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I see in a couple of reports TM is having a little moan about there only being 3 mins of added time. Those of you that listened/watched the game, has TM got a point here or is he just having a little pull at straws?

I think Mowbray's clutching at straws a little. True we might have got an equaliser with another minute or two, but there were bigger problems all through the match.

We pretty much dominated the first half, without really creating too much in terms of clear goalscoring chances. As usual our moves usually broke down inside their penalty area, or shots were fluffed. Consequently their keeper only had to pull off 2 or 3 genuine saves.

Same story with the second half, except Watford started to exert more pressure and found more gaps as we pushed for an equaliser.

I think its telling we didn't score until we had a player comfortable on the left, put a cross in to a striker who was actually in a position to score.

I think Mogga should take it as a sign to put more faith in youngsters who can actually play in the positions where we're short of cover, instead of having senior players playing out of position.

I see in a couple of reports TM is having a little moan about there only being 3 mins of added time. Those of you that listened/watched the game, has TM got a point here or is he just having a little pull at straws?

I think Mowbray's clutching at straws a little. True we might have got an equaliser with another minute or two, but there were bigger problems all through the match.

We pretty much dominated the first half, without really creating too much in terms of clear goalscoring chances. As usual our moves usually broke down inside their penalty area, or shots were fluffed. Consequently their keeper only had to pull off 2 or 3 genuine saves.

Same story with the second half, except Watford started to exert more pressure and found more gaps as we pushed for an equaliser.

I think its telling we didn't score until we had a player comfortable on the left, put a cross in to a striker who was actually in a position to score.

I think Mogga should take it as a sign to put more faith in youngsters who can actually play in the positions where we're short of cover, instead of having senior players playing out of position.

Cheers for that AR! :) I wasn't at or didn't see or listen to the game but even I felt it sounded a little desperate to be going on about a min or 2 extra.

As you explain, we need to focus a but more on the play in the 90 mins allocated time! ;)

Also read that NB at right back was tactical. Mogga wanted someone who would stay back there and not bomb forward as he was worried about the counter attack from Watford.

I'm hoping next game, like you state, we go with players, no matter what their age, in their natural positions and see what outcome we get :D

HandsOf - this is about the best summary I have read:

http://anthonyvickers.boroblogs.co.uk/2013/01/boro-1-watford.html

Could and should have scored in first half - second half we wobbled. Extra minute might have helped a la Wolves where we got two in last few minutes, but Watford defend a lot better than Wolves