Boro vs Huddersfield Town(A)

[align=center]

HTFCvBoro_zps9d5aa106.png

Date: Tuesday, 5th March 2013

Venue: John Smith's Stadium

Kick-off: 7:45pm

Will Terriers be all bark and no bite?

Will Boro put in a dogged performance?

Who will be the mutt's nuts and who will be the pedigree chumps?

[/align]

TEAM NEWS

Fortunately the Boro squad came through the win over Cardiff without any further casualties, although it was evident one or two are still lacking full match fitness. Both Woodgate (calf) and Jutkiewicz (ankle) will be assessed for this match. Andre Bikey (hamstring) expected to be out for 2-3 weeks. More news to follow once the MFC website is updated.

MATCH PREVIEW

The win over the Bluebirds/Dragons was only Boro's 2nd victory of 2013, but more importantly it was arguably their best league performance of the year. For long periods they resembled the free-flowing, attacking Boro we'd come to know and love last year. The win keeps Boro in touch with 6th placed Brighton, but to maintain realistic hopes of finishing in the play-offs they now need to string some results together.

This match sees them travel to 19th placed Huddersfield. The Terriers have found life in the Championship tough and go into this match off the back of a 4-1 defeat at Brighton. Their form of late hasn't been great, but isn't exactly awful either (and is arguably better than Boro's). Manager Mark Robins will surely have his troops fired up to put on a better performance at home, but Boro scored an emphatic 3-0 win in the reverse fixture, which should give them an edge.

BORO AWAY: W5 D2 L10 F19 A31

BORO LAST 10: W2 D1 L7

HUDDERSFIELD HOME: W5 D8 L4 F19 A19

HUDDERSFIELD LAST 10: W2 D3 L5

Head to Head

Boro have played Huddersfield a total of 84 times, 43 times at home and 41 away. Of the away fixtures Huddersfield have won 22, Boro have won 10 and 9 have ended in draws. The Terriers have scored 63 goals and Boro 38.

Boro

- Have a winning record against the Terriers that stretches back to a 3-0 away win, during the 1985/86 season (7 matches).

- Have scored 21 goals against the hosts, conceding just 3, during that period.

- Biggest win in recent times was a 5-1 League Cup win in 1996/97.

Huddersfield

- Currently have the worst goal difference in the Championship (-25)

- Last beat Boro in a 1-0 away win during the 1985/86 season.

- Have conceded 24 goals in their last 10 games, scoring just 5.

Ones to Watch

Huddersfield's top scorer is forward James Vaughn with 8 goals in 24 league appearances. Lee Novak has 4 in 29 and midfielder Adam Clayton has 4 in 34.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Huddersfield seem to be a very direct team who get loads of balls into the box so we've just had perfect preparation by facing and coping pretty well except the odd mistake or two against a far more equipped direct physical Cardiff side so I think the preparation for this game will be pretty similar. So the players should hold no fear of Huddersfield and be buoyed by the fact that we've faced the best what the division has got and played them off the park for 45 minutes and then had to dig in for the next 45 and withstood huge pressure and countless balls into the box that we'd never have been able to cope with just a few games ago so I'm starting to feel cautiously optimistic about us finding decent form again.

You know me I am not one for being over dramatic or making bold statements but quite simply THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON SO FAR! and if you will induldge me I will tell you why!

Boro have no control whatsoever regarding other results in the league save their own therefore following a most welcome result against Cardiff have made sure that they are top of the chasing pack below the top 6 and by god that galls me to say that.

It is vital that we target wins only from this point onwards due to others above us having games in hand and the hope that teams like Leicester continue to do a Boro because it seems that they might be caught though they could be 6 points ahead of us if they win their gih.

For me personally there are only two play off places left and if we are to renew a serious threat to one of those places then a win at Huddersfield is vital because it would mean that the win against Cardiff may count for nothing.

Of course we will not win every game but this next one is absolutely vital in terms of winning for my reasons given and I do want something to look forward to come end of season.

If you do not think this is now the most important game of the season so far then please tell me why?

As i said in the cardiff thread, that win will mean nothing if we don't now push on and get a good winning streak going on.

I would like us to line up attacking minded and take the game to them, they aren't an amazing side and got thumped 5-1 by brighton whereas we have just beaten the league leaders so i would field an unchanged side injuries permitting we played very very well the first half and think we keep that stability the players can only get better.

So all in all I'm going for a huddersfield 2-1 win mogga to make 4 changes and completely change the formation.

You know me I am not one for being over dramatic or making bold statements but quite simply THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON SO FAR! and if you will induldge me I will tell you why!

Boro have no control whatsoever regarding other results in the league save their own therefore following a most welcome result against Cardiff have made sure that they are top of the chasing pack below the top 6 and by god that galls me to say that.

It is vital that we target wins only from this point onwards due to others above us having games in hand and the hope that teams like Leicester continue to do a Boro because it seems that they might be caught though they could be 6 points ahead of us if they win their gih.

For me personally there are only two play off places left and if we are to renew a serious threat to one of those places then a win at Huddersfield is vital because it would mean that the win against Cardiff may count for nothing.

Of course we will not win every game but this next one is absolutely vital in terms of winning for my reasons given and I do want something to look forward to come end of season.

If you do not think this is now the most important game of the season so far then please tell me why?

At the end of the season hopefully we all look back and pin point the cardiff win as being the most important because it galvanised the side to promotion ;)

Thats why I cover myself and say "so far" Alan and btw surprised that you predict a Huddersfield win thought you would be bouyant and state that we will push on and get a win !

Thats why I cover myself and say "so far" Alan and btw surprised that you predict a Huddersfield win thought you would be bouyant and state that we will push on and get a win !

Every time I get excited about us going on a run of form and predict a win, we lose so I'm going for a bit of reverse psychology.

Every time I get excited about us going on a run of form and predict a win, we lose so I'm going for a bit of reverse psychology.

Ah but you have to be careful because sometimes it backfires:)

And I would not worry about a run as yet because we have not won two on the trot for a while now so lets just be positive based on yesterdays performance and believe that Boro will get the win...we can worry about the run later!

Ah but you have to be careful because sometimes it backfires:)

And I would not worry about a run as yet because we have not won two on the trot for a while now so lets just be positive based on yesterdays performance and believe that Boro will get the win...we can worry about the run later!

I always worry about the runs after a weekend of drinking, but i would be inclined to agree with you, time to take it one game at a time and slowly and surely work our way up the table.

Not sure how to feel about this one.

Over the season Huddersfield seem to have drawn a lot of home games. They don't score many, but don't concede many either.

Certainly winnable this one, but wouldn't be at all surprised if the Terriers live up to their name and frustrate us. Reckon this could well turn out as one of those draws I predicted earlier.

My prediction: Huddersfield 1 - 1 Boro