oneBoro Forum

Transfer thread 2013. Final hour and may she rest in peace

A huge if, as an Ireland (the country!) fan, I have a whole lot more problems with Ireland (the player, this is gonna get confusing) than most on here, but I can't deny his talent and the fact he has something none of our players (or players within our budget) have. He can run a midfield in an attacking sense all on his own. A trio of Varga, Whitehead and Ireland ahead of them would put us right up there with the best midfields in this league. It's worth the risk imo.

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any true and proven quality we can manage to bring in is gonna come with baggage. For example, would we have signed woody if he didnt have injury problems? No chance. I feel it's worth taking a risk on a quality player and hope that the baggage doesn't prove more disruptive than the positives. Otherwise we're stuck with lower league players and freebies that the top champ clubs don't want.

Agree to a point, but there's 'disruptive personalities' and then there's 'Stephen Ireland'...

Living in Birmingham, I can tell you there's no shortage of media storms about his antics in and around the city. He's active in every area but on the pitch... Interesting you mention the injury prone aspect as he's got a crocked knee which needs constant managing, too. He's had it since he was a young lad in the City Academy and it flares up every so often.

Can't agree that we could only get 'freebies the top champ clubs don't want', though. Genuinely think we've got some of the biggest pull of the Champiosnhip clubs outside of London. Rockliffe Park is mentioned time and time again by lads who come into the club as one of the things which attracted them in the first place; it's a top class facility - especially for this level. We've also got extra pull on the continent as players like Varga, Tavares, Haroun, Ogbeche, Kink etc have spoken of their respect for our UEFA Cup ventures in years gone by.

Any true and proven quality we can manage to bring in is gonna come with baggage. For example, would we have signed woody if he didnt have injury problems? No chance. I feel it's worth taking a risk on a quality player and hope that the baggage doesn't prove more disruptive than the positives. Otherwise we're stuck with lower league players and freebies that the top champ clubs don't want.

Agree to a point, but there's 'disruptive personalities' and then there's 'Stephen Ireland'...

Living in Birmingham, I can tell you there's no shortage of media storms about his antics in and around the city. He's active in every area but on the pitch... Interesting you mention the injury prone aspect as he's got a crocked knee which needs constant managing, too. He's had it since he was a young lad in the City Academy and it flares up every so often.

Can't agree that we could only get 'freebies the top champ clubs don't want', though. Genuinely think we've got some of the biggest pull of the Champiosnhip clubs outside of London. Rockliffe Park is mentioned time and time again by lads who come into the club as one of the things which attracted them in the first place; it's a top class facility - especially for this level. We've also got extra pull on the continent as players like Varga, Tavares, Haroun, Ogbeche, Kink etc have spoken of their respect for our UEFA Cup ventures in years gone by.

Not sure that's the most impressive list of players to name :P

I liked Tavares.

Didn't do much right but he didn't do anything wrong. Done the simple things right and that's exactly why he was brought it. Our midfield needed stabling and he brought a bit of stability.

Well Varga is unknown, Tavares was steady, I quite liked Ogbeche and he scored some important goals. Agreed with Haroun and Kink, like! But the link was that they all commented on our UEFA Cup exploits.

Just a thought re Ireland, are we due any money from AV from the bennett deal? Maybe they are trying to give us Ireland in an attractive deal that removes the need for them to pay us any extra dosh due for Bennett....

Afterall, they are in for £3.3m for the season to pay a player who won't play for them and is training with the youth team!

Simon Vukčević still a free agent, would welcome him at the club.

Mladen Petric although a bit unrealistic, would be amazing in this division.

Vicente Rodriguez is a free agent, was good for Brighton.

David Bentley still without a club, but probably out of our reach.

Chris Baird is a free agent, would welcome his experience.

I doubt Baird would need to drop down here just yet especially to us since we're not exactly the most likely of promotion contenders. He's a very underrated player, we would do well to sign him.

I could see him going to Wigan or a newly promoted team.

David Bentley's a decent shout if we could get him on a fitting wage. He's one who's attitude has changed significantly for the better over the past couple of years. Used to be a right egotistical little brat...

Reckon if we were to get someone like Bentley, it'd be in August time after the seasons already kicked off and he starts worrying he'll not get a club.

I doubt Baird would need to drop down here just yet especially to us since we're not exactly the most likely of promotion contenders. He's a very underrated player, we would do well to sign him.

I could see him going to Wigan or a newly promoted team.

Aye, true story that. Got a mate who's a Fulham fan and he loved him; had a somewhat Cult Hero status with Fulham fans. Very decent defender.