oneBoro Forum

Transfer thread 2013. Final hour and may she rest in peace

Vagas just missed out of player of the year to Naymar! He would be a quality signing, I just can't see why the EG have made our interest public...

Either we have tried and been knocked back or it close to being a done deal. Other wise it just allows other clubs with a deeper pockets to steal him from under our nose.

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the simple fact he has been named makes it one of two things.

1 Realistic chance that he will be coming

2 Massive PR stunt/spin concocted by the EG and MFC to once again pacify fans that boro are doing their best to get players in.

This Vargas will create more interest and speculation than most other names mentioned

Definitely number 2 :s

I refuse to believe that a player of Vargas' calibre would be on his way to us and even if it was a possibility, there would surely be teams in the Premier League who would be willing to take a punt on a player like that. I doubt the Gazette printing it will make any difference though because surely that player's agent is touting him around anyway.

I think the likes of Ebanks-Blake is more likely, but he's currently injured so I think a lot of teams will have their eyes on him without making a move just yet.

well Richard Dunne is out of the question for that we need...

'Queens Park Rangers will begin life in the Championship with veteran centre-back Richard Dunne in their ranks, after the 33-year-old agrees a one-year contract on a free transfer.'

I just watched the video Anthony Vickers posted on twitter of Vargas in action and I don't think he looks that good. Or at least as good as people seem to think he is. Better than the strikers we have for sure but I can see why it probably hasn't happened for him at Napoli. The defending and entire level of football doesn't look that strong in Chile and to be fair I'm a little surprised he didn't score more goals while in their league even if he isn't a central striker.

Coming to a champonship club to see if he can adjust to England and whether he could cut it in the premier league would seem a good idea so I can see why we have been linked. If we can get a good deal I'd say go for it. Could be a very good signing.

On the other hand he has the potential to be a massive flop signing too I feel if he doesn't settle. Will have to wait and see if anything more concrete develops.

The striker moved to Europe in January last year but failed to secure a regular starting spot, scoring three goals in a single Europa League appearance but none in 19 Serie A appearances.

He later said he had lost confidence while playing in Italy, with reports quoting him as saying: “I was not happy in Italy. I didn’t feel good on my debut and played badly, then I lost my confidence and was never able to play consistently.”

That lack of form prompted the club to offer the player out on loan and, in January this year, it was announced that he would be joining Brazilian side Gremio for a year.

It was reported that Napoli inserted a clause into the contract stating that he must return after six months should they receive an offer.

And the striker has since been linked with European clubs since as Napoli look to find a buyer - with a loan deal at Boro potentially pu8tting him in the shop window for Premier League clubs.

normally i would hate for the club to be used as a stepping stone for a player but in this case it could be the difference between playoffs and mid table though. i expect he will be on huge wages if he was signed for 12 million and one of the promoted clubs will probs take a risk on him instead. saying that, could this be one of them exciting signings that higgy said we had coming when he left?

I'm slightly worried it could end up a re-run of the Kerlon saga of years ago... EG say we're set to sign soem South American youngster with bags of potential only for it all to go mysteriously quiet; probably due to No. 2 in Downsouth's reasons.

I'd love it if we got him though... Also think that it would mean the end to any interest in Ireland, so a double plus from me ;)

Can't see us signing both because (as others have said, too) Varga & Whitehead wouldn't have signed without first-team assurances, and Leadbitter is never going to be dropped by his boyfirend Tony... Not much chance of Varga displacing Hoyte at RB either with Justin being another Mogga favourite. Reckon it's a given that there'll be a midfield trio of Varga, Whitehead and Leadbitter next season.

Question is, who'll be the creative midfielder we're looking to add? Vargas? Ireland? Someone else?... Will just have to keep waiting...

Vargas was on the verge of joining CFC in the windiw he moved to Napoli. He has pace to burn a good touch and can finish, I rate him very highly Napoli did as well they bought him to replace Lavezzi. Dont see him joining us, bizarre link. We all know Grahams available since PDC hates him stick a loan bid in with a 5 mill option next summer problem solved. If we sign Vargas I'll be delighted but very very very surprised