oneBoro Forum

Boro Takeover Talk

Steve Gibson has been unbelievable too this club if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have a team to follow on a Saturday or a team too talk about on a forum. Gibbo is middlesbrough fc!

But I think his time is up, if we are honest the last 3/4 years the club has been going further and further backwards no money poor league positions poor attendances. All starting with the bizarre appointment of Gareth southgate. And gibbo lately just seems adrift of the supporters I can't remember the last time I read something he has said about the club or heard him on the radio. I really can't say enough how great the man is but sorry Steve I do think your times up.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno why the springboard thing is worrying anyone. All it means is that wed be taking players with the potential to play at the very top being brought in and sold for a profit. Were not exactly ***nal here where were expecting to keep very good players and challenge for trophies!

If this was to happen, I reckon Mowbray would be lucky to last 10 games. The constant managerial changes is what puts me off this sort of takeover and the owners looking for that 'big name' manager.

Re my comments at the begining of this thread, the gazette article makes out like this guy doesn't own another football club, if true he would literally be of no use to us. Even if he does, do i want to go and watch their b team ever week, not really, rather see a bunch of British lads and locals giving it their all.

the grass is so rarely greener on the other side. Apart from Chelsea, man city, Cardiff and maybe Southampton I'm yet to see much example that these takeovers are for the benefit of the supporters of the club. There are countless examples of it turning into a circus and clubs become disillusioned.

My head hurts.

I'm not going to worry about and just see what happens. I don't think gibbo will sell to some leaches anyway. People would hold him responsible to an extent if they ruined us and that would spoil his legacy and standing with the fans imo.

We shall see anyway.

Since FFP would probably eliminate most chance of his money helping us, I guess the only difference is the potential Atletico link and the fact he might be better with hiring & firing managers than Gibson is.

It'll probably come to nothing anyway, but I'll be on the fence if it does.

I think maybe Gibson, having been there and lived the Premier League dream already with big money signings, full stadiums, cup wins and Euro cup finals could possibly be thinking... we're a million miles from those days happening in the current climate with their current resources, he could be giving money away for a long time to come yet if he does hang around.

If he is considering something like this thread suggests, I can definitely see him wanting a guaranteed place on the board or position within the club... and I defo trust him to put the clubs interests first.

I thought (and talked) long and hard about this, and my personal summary is this:

If We Stay with Gibson:

The club is owned by 'one of our own.' A true Boro fan who helped us through some of our darkest times, and led us to some historical moments. However, I do believe we find ourselves in somewhat of a Catch 22 situation.

The club need more income. How do we get more income? From getting to the Premier League. How do we get to the Premier League? Easiest way is to spend money; money which we don't have in the required quantities. The best hope we have under the current system is to somehow squeeze ourselves up into the Premiership - that way, even if we get annihilated and come straight back down, we'll have the money from the parachute payments to help us financially; and we'd hopefully be more frugal with them next time round. Even if this process repeated a few times, we'd be in a better financial position to maybe help take us to the next level on a more solid grounding. The reality is that the longer we stay in the Championship, the worse financial state we will find ourselves in as the club will just lose it's appeal to fans & players alike as time goes on.

Facilities such as Rockliffe Park and our Top Grade Academy were not truly designed to operate on Championship budgets. Neither was the Riverside Stadium. The reality is that the infastructure of Middlesbrough is that of a Premiership club, and getting back to that level is the only way of guaranteeing our financial future under Steve Gibson.

But we remain an honest club - ran by an honest professional who is also a fan. The legacy of our Phoenix rise is still apparent.

If We Sell to Lim, Mendes & Kenyon:

Judging from the blue-print at Watford - who's 'Parent' clubs aren't even as good as our reported Atletico Madrid link, promotion becomes a distinct possibility within 1-3 years. We 'get' (not sign) players of real pedigree and talent from Spain, Portugal and South America - whom we can then sell on for proifts - maybe even sometimes big profits - which helps put the club back on, not only a sound financial footing, but potential a very strong financial footing. A financial footing and 'pull of player' power which could, one day, return to our glory days.

The negatives? The club loses it's iconic status as a club owned by our own, for our own. We lose our status as a truly Local Club. But the fans aren't coming through the turnstiles. The football on offer isn't much of a pull for people - especially in such difficult economic times for the region and our town in particular? Do we even know if we own our players!?

I'm massively torn... I can't imagine Lim and Mendes accepting a stake agreement as it would compromise their power to operate their project. So, in reality, I think it's one or the other... All I can say is that i'll be Boro through-and-through regardless.

Great... Wrote all that and the EG says it's been denied!! :P

I'd agree with all that snow blind. With gibbo here we know everything done is best for the club, no money is funnelled out and our academy takes pride of place. The downside is we struggle even to compete with some championship teams to buy players, we could be in this league for the long haul and the whole club is just on a general downer.

If these guys came in we would be immediately back on the map, we would get some players in we could only dream about in our current position and we would finally be on a level playing field with other clubs who have left us behind. Plus there would finally be some excitement about us and crowds would fly up.

The downside of these guys coming in is probably the long term status of the club. What will happen to the hotel? Any money generated from sky money to transfer fees will likely end up in the pockets of these guys rather than being put back into the club and then there's the managerial situation. I will say that wether you like him or not as a person, Peter Kenyon knows how to run a football club.

If this is true and they have had talks with Gibson, then he will know their personalities he will know the plans they have outlined to him and what promises they have made. I trust Gibson to sell the club to the right people when the time comes. If he sells to these guys then he obviously feels its right for the club, if not then vice versa.

The idea puts a chill down my spine... id rather stay mediocre than become a whore club.

I dont want to be the next Cardiff/Leicester/Watford - now soulless clubs selling their traditions out to the highest bidder.

Cardiff Leicester and Watford don't have Jorge Mendes.

Like him or despise him Id argue he'd make sure we got promoted. The billionaire would be coming in to establish 'his club' in South Asia raising his profile it would't be for profit just prestige.

Im not saying lets sell or I love Jorge but Im thinking rationally with his money and Jorges connections we could become one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Mendes did this at Monaco with a Russian billionaire 2 years later they have spent a 100 million and have some of the hottest talents in Europe.

Again Im not saying sell just putting an objective argument out thete.

Robbieboro. You say gibbo is adrift of the club but no where near what a foreign owner would be

As for FFP it isnt stopping man city spend 90 million +

We seem to be in this position now where most think we should sell our soul to get in the premier league. As if we have a right to be there. As the older members will remember we spent yrs in the old div2. And the world didnt end and eventually we won something

Id be worried if gibbo left. Its a worry now that he wont be there forever what happens to our youth if this goes through what happens to our identity

Chaps if you look at this from the EG, it says it is confirmed there has been contact.

Reports coming out of Spain suggesting Singapore billionaire businessman Peter Lim is on the verge of attempting a takeover of Boro appear to be wide of the mark.

According to the reports, Lim is apparently looking for an English club outside the Premier League to invest in with a view to winning promotion back to the top flight.

It suggested he's on the verge of trying to take control of Boro, preparing a bid of £60m.

However, the Gazette understands there have been no approaches to the club from any potential buyers - and Middlesbrough are not looking to sell.

Steve Gibson has pumped more than £100m in the club since taking over as chairman in 1994 and is working hard to strengthen the team for another tilt at promotion from the Championship.

Three years ago Lim made an attempt to buy Liverpool before withdrawing his bid and, more recently, he's been linked with Atletico Madrid.

He has been linked with a potential bid to take over Boro today.

The reports claim Mr Lim is looking for an English club outside the Premier League to invest in with a view to winning promotion back to the top flight.

Cardiff Leicester and Watford don't have Jorge Mendes.

Like him or despise him Id argue he'd make sure we got promoted. The billionaire would be coming in to establish 'his club' in South Asia raising his profile it would't be for profit just prestige.

Im not saying lets sell or I love Jorge but Im thinking rationally with his money and Jorges connections we could become one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Mendes did this at Monaco with a Russian billionaire 2 years later they have spent a 100 million and have some of the hottest talents in Europe.

Again Im not saying sell just putting an objective argument out thete.

Me likey your thinky :heart::heart::heart: