oneBoro Forum

Callum Cooke captains England U17s

Yesterday wasn't all that bad.

Callum Cooke captained England U17s for the first time, meaning the club has the current England U17 captain and U18 captain (Bryn Morris) on the books.

Making his first start for the England U17 side was classy defender Matty Elsdon. England beat Finland on penalties in the Nordic cup. Jonny Helm was an unused sub.

The U21's beat TNS 2-0 thanks to goals from Brobbel and Waters

Luke Coddington, Andre Bennett, Johny Burn, Adam Jackson, Birger Mellin, Matthew Dolan, Ryan Brobbell, Matthew Waters (Halliday), Bradley Fewster, Bryn Morris and Wilson Kneeshaw. (Jordan Jones)

And the U18's finished off their Holland tour with a 2-1 win over Ajax thanks to goals from Mondal and McAloon.

Things might not be so rosey right now, but there are reasons long term to smile.

We have lots of youth internationals supporting the club in the academy set up.

England

Steele - U21

Reach - U20

Ripley

Williams

Morris - U18 (Captain)

Fewster

Griffiths

Fowler

Gibson

Jackson

Coddington

Mondal (stand-by)

Atkinson - U17

Northern Ireland

Brobbel - U21

Jones - U19

McAloon - U19

Maloney - (stand-by)

Scotland

Park - U21

Australia

Conor and Steve O'Neil - U17

Thank god for a bit of positivity in the current gloom and doom and well done to Callum Cooke

It is an amazing list for our little club.

However there is one thing that puzzles me. When they leave the academy the progress to the first team is slow to non existent and those who do get there are miles away from international class.

Do we need an improver coach ? it seems a very obvious question

Thank god for a bit of positivity in the current gloom and doom and well done to Callum Cooke

It is an amazing list for our little club.

However there is one thing that puzzles me. When they leave the academy the progress to the first team is slow to non existent and those who do get there are miles away from international class.

Do we need an improver coach ? it seems a very obvious question

McGannd I think you are being blinkered by the recent crop not quite matching up to our "Golden Era" Of the early-mid 2000s in terms of the Williams, Downings, Wheaters, Johnsons, Bates, Brunts, Taylors, McMahons, Bennetts, Cattermoles et al.

The current crop of Williams, Reach, Burgess is hardly poor either in fairness!!

BDS

I agree that the 2004/5 sides were exceptional and that virtually all the players have played for the Boro. Some may have been extraordinary talented and applied that talent with conviction.

I seem to remember that players who were exceptional making an impact as older teenagers and currently we are not seeing that. For example, I think Williams a good little player but I'm not convinced he is working hard enough to use that wonderful talent to its maximum. There are times when he plays and looks "lost"

The question really is how do we take all these talents and make the maximum of their individual talent for the benefit of the club and also the individual player.

Currently we are not doing it, in my opinion

BDS

I agree that the 2004/5 sides were exceptional and that virtually all the players have played for the Boro. Some may have been extraordinary talented and applied that talent with conviction.

I seem to remember that players who were exceptional making an impact as older teenagers and currently we are not seeing that. For example, I think Williams a good little player but I'm not convinced he is working hard enough to use that wonderful talent to its maximum. There are times when he plays and looks "lost"

The question really is how do we take all these talents and make the maximum of their individual talent for the benefit of the club and also the individual player.

Currently we are not doing it, in my opinion

Ahh I follow you now! Wasnt there talk of Williams to Accrington to show him just how good he has it at Boro?