oneBoro Forum

Boro v Wigan Athletic (A)

My take on Coyle's formation will be 4-5-1. Not much diff from 4-3-3 since the teams under him thus far had the tendency to go 4-5-1 upon defending rather than 2 flat banks of 4. Even if he's starting 4-3-3, it will only mean the same logic. 4-3-3 requires space to attack right from the get-go. While it will work for teams content to stay behind or in the middle, it won't give us any disadvantage b/c we're a team thriving on space, movement and passing.

As for the key men for Wigan, all I can say is this-pressure will def come from the flanks where overlapping FBs/attacking wingers will be the tactical key. However, unlike Blackpool where pressure will come via a 4-2-4/2-4-4, chances are that Coyle will go 4-2-1-3/4-2-3-1 once going forward. If Ben Watson plays, chances are that he will boss whatever open space available in our own half. Watch out for James McCarthy b/c lad's a box-to-box quicksilver.

Good to see you posting again BS welcome back:)

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you get tickets on the gate?

yes tickets on the gate

Anybody know where is best too park close to the ground. Have read too avoid the Asia/b&q/cinema car park etc due to clamping and fines.

with it being a sunday i think youll be ok most places

"Having said that, Marvin said in the article on the EG today that he enjoys playing behind the striker with the freedom to pick up the ball and make things happen."

Realistically I can only see that happening at home. Would be great to watch though (in theory!!)

i think this is one of the problems, marvin wants to play behind the stricker and link up play and mogga wants him to play off the shoulder of the defenders and use his pace

My take on Coyle's formation will be 4-5-1. Not much diff from 4-3-3 since the teams under him thus far had the tendency to go 4-5-1 upon defending rather than 2 flat banks of 4. Even if he's starting 4-3-3, it will only mean the same logic. 4-3-3 requires space to attack right from the get-go. While it will work for teams content to stay behind or in the middle, it won't give us any disadvantage b/c we're a team thriving on space, movement and passing.

As for the key men for Wigan, all I can say is this-pressure will def come from the flanks where overlapping FBs/attacking wingers will be the tactical key. However, unlike Blackpool where pressure will come via a 4-2-4/2-4-4, chances are that Coyle will go 4-2-1-3/4-2-3-1 once going forward. If Ben Watson plays, chances are that he will boss whatever open space available in our own half. Watch out for James McCarthy b/c lad's a box-to-box quicksilver.

Good to see you posting again BS welcome back:)

I suddenly discovered I've created a self-deprecating moniker in terms of abbrev lol! :P

Can you get tickets on the gate?

yes tickets on the gate

Anybody know where is best too park close to the ground. Have read too avoid the Asia/b&q/cinema car park etc due to clamping and fines.

with it being a sunday i think youll be ok most places

"Having said that, Marvin said in the article on the EG today that he enjoys playing behind the striker with the freedom to pick up the ball and make things happen."

Realistically I can only see that happening at home. Would be great to watch though (in theory!!)

i think this is one of the problems, marvin wants to play behind the stricker and link up play and mogga wants him to play off the shoulder of the defenders and use his pace

ffs we need someone to do just that. One of our more glaring failures last season was down NOT having a player of that nature/calibre. McEachran was supposed to plug that gap, but things went 50-50 pear shaped.

iirc if Emnes is to get his way, Juke will need to play further back with Muzzy and Adomah providing the width. Given our default 9's current streak, I'm not sure whether this will work. Alternatively, Ledesma could fill in that missing piece, but I know ppl will stone me for this suggestion.

I dont think emnes causes the opposition enough problems when he drops off. Yes he keeps possesion but the job of the second striker is to create more chances than he scores and i can hardly remember him creating anything If we can get him running forward and someone to slide balls in for him he could be deadly with his pace ( big if though )

There've been a lot of goals in the Championship so far this weekend, hopefully this one will be just as exciting (as long as we don't get battered like Barnsley and Bournemouth).

This will be the most difficult match for us this season. Going for a 2-1 win with Steele back and Juke and Emnes to score.

----------------Steele---------------

Richardson Woodgate Williams Friend

------------Whitehead Varga-----------

Carayol----------Emnes--------Adomah

---------------Jutkiewicz----------------

---------------------------steele-------------------------

richardson------rhys--------woody--------friend

--------leadbitter----varga-------whitehead-------

adomah----------------------------------------muzzy

---------------------------juke-----------------------------

I'm half tempted to go a bit more attacking, given wigan's defensive frailties exposed by Doncaster and Bournemouth so maybe start with Emnes in place of Varga..... Maybe a crazy idea but then again look who's in charge :p

Wigan are nothing special, their results so far have proved this and most of their fans don't rate his tactics.

Nothing to fear tomorrow. I'd still go with the same team that's started the past few games though. Nice solid midfield, let the widenen run wild and hope Juke gets on the end of their balls in.

Going for a 2-1 win, and me winning a wedge after backing us at 4/1. :D

i'd take a point tomorrow, we still don't seem much of a goal threat and until we manage to find a solution to that problem we will struggle to take 3 points. Saying that, we always seem more suited to playing away from home so we could nick it.

Think i'll say 2-2, with us taking the lead but then coming back from 2-1 down.

Carayol and Juke to get the goals

I think this is only the 12th time we have played Wigan incredible really. However feel that one goal will have to win it for Boro as we do not seem capable of scoring more than one but hey that has to change