oneBoro Forum

Boro v Wigan Athletic (A)

I think we'll do very away from home this season. We have three solid midfielders that can frustrate opposition attacks and we have pacy counter attacking options up top especially if Emnes stays.

We have to be careful not to isolate the three up top because its easily done with their pace. I'd expect Varga to come in to his own in this aspect of our away performances given hes apparently got a pair of pistons for legs! If I was Mowbray every time the ball hits Carayol or Adomah I'd tell Varga to bust a gut in getting past the ball to try to open up space and provide an option for the out ball. Jukiewicz MUST stay on the shoulder of the last centre half. It stops their defence advancing further up the pitch which harms our chances of playing counter attacking football. Juke needs to be patient especially in a game where the opposition are expected to have more of the ball, which is rare for us.

I think much depends on whether our defence continues to keep things tight. Steele will make a huge difference if he returns. I'll be honest if Leutwiler starts I don't fancy is to get anything from the game, otherwise I think a draw is a good result. It keeps our unbeaten streak going which builds confidence, but I wouldn't rule out a smash and grab victory following a stoic defensive performance, but only if Steele's in goal.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from the cock up against Stanley I don't think Leutwiler has been bad at all. Did well at Charlton when they were turning the screw, could do nothing about the goal Blackpool scored and he made a couple of good saves.

I agree he is not at Steele's level, and that is no disrespect to him, but is he Good enough? Yes.

Same team for me.

Think we can nick a 0-1 but won't be surprised if we got done over or turned up and played a blinder depends which team turns up really. :)

He's liable to the odd howler as we've already seen in his (limited) appearances to date. I think having a keeper you don't have 100% faith in can affect a defences performance too.

No biggy, I just don't have as much faith in him as I do Steele.

Leutwiler just doesn't have the same 'presence' as Steeley does imo, which creates a bit of unstability as obviously the defence isn't as confident in him and the crowd aren't either. Massively rate Steele and it's been great to see his development over the past couple of years. He talks to his defence more than ever now and they listen to him. He's a great shot stopper and I'm always confident whenever he's in goal.

I can't wait for this game. First away of the season for us and it should be a cracker. Wigan have shown in their last 2 games they are nothing special, infact I've noticed their fans haven't really takent o Coyle as his early season football has been horrible 'lump it to Holt' rubbish. As others have said in the thread, our team looks perfect for away games. 3 tough midfielders, 2 wingers with bags of pace and a decent striker in Juke.

Can definitely see us getting something from this game. I would quite happily take a draw, but a win is very much achievable with the team we have. I'll go 2-1. Would love a last minute winner to go mental to!

He's liable to the odd howler as we've already seen in his (limited) appearances to date. I think having a keeper you don't have 100% faith in can affect a defences performance too.

So was Steele early in his Boro career and I remember a lot of members on here saying he was never going to be good enough and he should be gone.

And so is Hart as we saw V Scotland.

"(Today 11:20 AM)Humpty Wrote:

So was Steele early in his Boro career and I remember a lot of members on here saying he was never going to be good enough and he should be gone.."

What's your point? It doesn't change anything. He's still subject to a howler and it will still instill a lack if confidence in him. He's a reserve goal keeper and its to be expected at our level. No biggy, its just something we have to deal with.

"My point is everyone has a howler that should not be why a keeper is judged. Look at David James absolute Donkey at times but was England's No.1 for quite a while.

PM Quote"

I'm not saying howlers don't happen over a period of games. I'm saying Leutwiler has played 2/3 and made 1 howler which lost us the game and not really been under much pressure in the other two games. It doesn't exactly fill you with confidence. I'm not slagging the lad, he's a reserve keeper. It is what it is.

I get what your saying, but what if Steele does get sold or gets injured for the rest of the season Leutwiler steps in and doesn't have another Howler for the rest of the season. What then?

Until he has a run of games I don't think it's fair to say he doesn't inspire confidence. He obviously inspires confidence in Mogga,Venus,Proc & Pears.

Leutwiler is an average championship keeper, who could probably be first choice for 4/5 teams in the division. He's more than capable of filling in for a few games while Steele s out injured, he doesn't fill me with the same confidence that I have when Steele is in goal but that is more down to Steele being one of the best keepers around than leutwiler being poor. He's only made one howler (as far as I can remember) and this was probably down to him wanting to impress too much so he felt he had to go for every ball.

Having said that, I'd much rather have Steele in goal because he can produce world class match winning/ match saving stops on a regular basis

My only major concern with Leutwiler is the fact he didnt seem commanding or decisive as to when to come off his line when balls were played over the top. As I felt on a couple of occasions on Saturday a pacey striker could have caused problems due to the little confusion caused by the lack of a decision as to whether or not to come out for the ball.