oneBoro Forum

Don't look back...

I was going to post this on the transfer rumours thread but I am conscious of trying to keep it on topic over there.

I am aware that in the past I have made threads asking people to keep the faith and referencing the good times however I've been having a think and read a quote that really hit home to me with regards to the boro.

"Don't look back, unless you are planning on going there."

Perhaps this quote is quite appropriate to a lot of boro fans (not necessarily fans from this board but just fans in general) as we do seem to compare our current situation with the great times and In a way I believe this is preventing the club from moving forward at the moment. Too many fans are living in the past, you only have to listen to BBC tees after a match to see this, and this may also be a reason that our crowds have dropped so massively since the glory days.

Anyway, rant over and lets get a win tommorow.

I have went on many rants saying that we need to move forward and put the past behind us but every transfer window we get linked to a former player and every creams or someone starts going on about bad times or the Robbo years or the Schteve years.

Rather people just focused on the now.

well said will, we are where we are, an average championship club hoping for promotion. its understandable that fans are annoyed eg. 10 years ago we won the cc, 15 years ago we were signing some of the best players in the world and now we cant pay over 2 million for a championship player is the way some fans will see it

if fans stop thinking that we have a right to be in the prem then we will all be better for it, we have to earn it, the same way that the 23 other championship teams do. history doesnt get you any extra points

I too have had many a debate with fellow fans about this

The problem is we have been spoilt as fans, from the beginning of the Riverside Revolution to the end of the McClaren era was a rollercoaster of exciting times and exciting players, with a new stadium, training facilities, an academy that can produce genuine talent, big name signings, trophies, Europe etc etc it's very difficult now for fans to accept that for the time being at least this has all come to an end and now we must embrace the start of a new era - one which will be very different!

Good post James and i could use the immortal words of Mogga here but hey I still support Boro!

The problem is we have been spoilt as fans, from the beginning of the Riverside Revolution to the end of the McClaren era was a rollercoaster of exciting times and exciting players, with a new stadium, training facilities, an academy that can produce genuine talent, big name signings, trophies, Europe etc etc it's very difficult now for fans to accept that for the time being at least this has all come to an end and now we must embrace the start of a new era - one which will be very different!

Makes you wonder and reflect as to why it all went so wrong and could something have been done to prevent it

Good post James and i could use the immortal words of Mogga here but hey I still support Boro!

Makes you wonder and reflect as to why it all went so wrong and could something have been done to prevent it

Spent many an hour pondering the answer to that question... I have now put it on the same shelf as the meaning of life, and 'do we really exist or is it all a dream'

Football has always worked In cycles, we will be back there some day, perhaps next time we'll even win the uefa cup this time, but for the time being we must focus on getting behind the team now and helping them to dig our club out of the hole it is currently in.

Much like James said, history doesn't give you anything if it did then forest, Leeds and sheffield Wednesday wouldn't be in this league. Living in the past is a habit that many football fans have, just take a look at some fans you can find on the Internet claiming that their club is huge because they won trophies 30-40 years ago.

Onwards and hopefully upwards!

Football has always worked In cycles, we will be back there some day, perhaps next time we'll even win the uefa cup this time, but for the time being we must focus on getting behind the team now and helping them to dig our club out of the hole it is currently in.

Much like James said, history doesn't give you anything if it did then forest, Leeds and sheffield Wednesday wouldn't be in this league. Living in the past is a habit that many football fans have, just take a look at some fans you can find on the Internet claiming that their club is huge because they won trophies 30-40 years ago.

Onwards and hopefully upwards!

Makes you wonder who else will 'fall' years ago people would have sniggered if you had described Forest, Leeds, Sheff Wed, playing in anything other than the top flight - where will we be in 15 - 20 years?? Man united in league 1? Chelsea? Man City? Aresnal, Liverpool .... I think sooner or later one of the 'big' ones will slide

couldnt ever see any of them teams ending up in league 1, far too much money involved in the game now for that to happen plus with ffp no one should do a leeds etc.

couldnt ever see any of them teams ending up in league 1, far too much money involved in the game now for that to happen plus with ffp no one should do a leeds etc.

You're right James, I couldn't either, but that's kind of my point:)

You're right James, I couldn't either, but that's kind of my point:)

ah, didnt read that properly lol, great minds ey ;)