oneBoro Forum

Coaches

I know there's a few coaches on here, and I was wondering...

How do you react to your team harassing (arguable abusing) the referee?

On the way home from a match now where I had to show someone a red card for constant verbal abuse. I understand there's banter, but when players deliberately try to throw you off your game, it crosses the line IMO.

On the final minute of the match, I gave what was an easy penalty and was suddenly swarmed by 22 lads. The decisions were just overall. When I had a word with the coaches at half time, nothing changed and, arguable, things got worse.

What happens in these situations, do you just go with it and slate the ref when he's gone or what?

On a side note, spectators said I did alright, prob away fans :D

Cheers, Shaun.

From my experience during rugby, our coaches actively discourage abuse toward the refs, and we have the RFU guidelines but also club policy too. For example fines for bad conduct increasing in severity.

Also if you get a red card you have to go to an RFU hearing which is attended by you, a club coach, senior members of the club (I.e. Chairman) and the ref who awarded the red. I've not had a red card myself, even a yellow for that matter.

Not football but yeah still think it is relevant.

I've been on both sides of the fence (qualified ref and coach). I think a lot of the issues stem from players, coaches and fans not knowing the laws of the game. Most people associated with football learn about the laws from Sky and MOTD, the sad thing is they are often wrong.

When coaching I always did a week in preseason on learning the laws. I mean how many other games would you play without knowing the rules, no wonder so many footballers loose fortunes at cards

Personally, if one of my players goes too far with a ref I'll warn them and if they still don't drop it I drag them off.

Obviously at the minute that's easy form me to do coaching kids with rolling subs but with limited subs in the adult game it's hard to say what I'd do without being in the situation but I wouldn't want to waste a sub on it, so I guess it's making sure your team doesn't have the mentality of abusing the ref and respecting the ref.

I also do both roles too

Right.

Cheers for getting back to me by the way. It's good to know you're trying to get players understanding the rules, more often than not the players try and lecture me In what they interpret the rules as, rather than what they actually are. Like you said, as far as I'm aware, their only real knowledge of the rules most of the time comes from sports channels. They are not taught how to interpret them.

Sorry for the late reply