Eddie Howe

Viktor Goncharenko

Karl Robinson

Lee Clark

Rene Meulensteen

Quique Flores

Ralf Rangnick

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer

Any one of these will be a better choice than Clough !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas Tuchel

Luis Garcia Plaza

Markus Babbel

Eddie Howe

Viktor Goncharenko

Karl Robinson

Lee Clark

Rene Meulensteen

Quique Flores

Ralf Rangnick

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer

Any one of these will be a better choice than Clough !

Most of them are massively unrealistic... Solskjaer? Rangick ? Flores? Goncharenko? Can't see any of those, or the vast majority of those on that list, even entertaining a phone call from us...

Howe left Burnley to go back to Bournemouth when they were in league One. He'll not leave - he loves that club.

Lee Clark? Living in Birmingham I can tell you he's abysmal and every fan hates him. Not to mention he's a raging alcoholic.

Karl Robinson & Meulensteen are about the only realistic names I can agree with from that list...

Clough would be a very 'boring' appointment. Has done nothing of note in his career for me and was just a very safe pair of hands at Derby - he isn't a manager for really pushing a side on in my opinion, which is why Derby got rid. I think if his 2nd name wasn't Clough, he wouldn't be so high in the market.

Pulis, despite a lot of people not wanting him and Gibbo appearing to completely rule him out, would be a good appointment. He'd firstly make us solid and hard to beat and would get results. He gets a bit of unfair criticism I think, yes, he did play quite a long of long ball, but only when he had no other option. There are plenty of Stoke games I've watched over the years where they've played decent football and got really good results. Over the past few years he built his Stoke side on a big defence, two grafting central midfielders, two pacey wingers and two strikers. That suits our squad completely at the minute. I think given a season or two he'd get us up. His appointment would bring a lot of negativity in from a large section of fans though, so I think that's a no go.

I'm really thinking get somebody fresh in. Somebody who has no ties whatsoever to Boro and will come with some completely new ideas. I would absolutely love Di Matteo, think he done a really good job with WBA and obviously has a great record at Chelsea, people are speaking about winning the Champions League as if it is easy! He played some great sides in that competition and found a way to win the full thing. If he has any interest whatsoever in coming here then I would hope we would bend over backwards for him. He is a 'big name' and would excite fans.

Other names I wouldn't mind seeing would be Karl Robinson (young, plays good football, learning his trade at a lower league, comes across as a decent guy, liked by his fans), Mike Phelan (learnt under arguably the greatest manager ever, no doubt ready to become his own manager) and perhaps Uwe Rosler (leanrt his trade abroad and in a lower league, again his teams play decent football and he is well liked by his current fans). Rene Meulensteen is another really good shout, although I don't know a huge amount about him, he's been under Fergie so will have learnt loads, plus Fergie had nothing but huge praise for him.

This is a massively crucial appointment for the future of our club. Get the right gaffer in and we can still have a right go this season, we've got the squad capable of having a really good go and there is still plenty of time left in the season, Get it wrong however and the end result could be disastrous - we're close enough to the drop zone now that if we have a few more bad results we could get sucked in, and even though there's still a lot of time left, could prove really hard to claw out of.

It's a nervous time, but massively exciting.

Completely forgot to mention OGS - that would be another good, young, fresh appointment.

For my money - if we don't go with a proven Championship battler - we need to appoint someone on a deal until the end of the season. Too big of a gamble if we do end up going the wrong way.....

I'm also still qyuite sad about Mogga. I don't want another club legend's name dragged through the mud again (juninho)

Personally, i'd not consider the lieks of O'Neill, Di Matteo or Bilic as realistic targets despite the odds. On top of that, O'Neill certainly doesn't have the credentials for the job that currently needs doing at the Boro; he's a manager who wants a lot of money to spend, and spits out his dummy if he doesn't get it.

Tony Pulis - For me, say what you like about the football. I'd rather get three points and play hoof ball than see another 90 minutes of Mowbray's tippy-tappy dross which brings zero return. Pulis got a very mediocre Stoke team promoted to the Premiership and kept them there for a long time. If we hired Pulis and followed the Stoke model (but appointing a better manager than Mark Hughes at the end) i'd be ecstatic.

Nigel Clough - A little bit of a safe bet, really. He's definitely a long-term kind of guy as oppose to instant success, but has shown a shrewd hand in the Transfer Market with very littlle money at Derby. Again, the football's not great, though - and he's weak at choosing substitutions.

Gary Neville / Rene Meulensteen / Mike Phelan - Any of those three and i'd be over the moon. All excellent tacticians with world class footballing brains and top contacts within the English game. I'd personally add to that list Brian McClair; very similar credentials, and currently the director of nited's Academy.

Lower League Options - Few and far between, really. Phil Parkinson has done a great job at Bradford, but his CV prior to that is a little suspect. I'd personally like us to speak with Uwe Rosler (Brentford) or Karl Robinson (MK Dons) if we were going lower league.

Outside Chance? - I'll throw in Brian Deane... Don't reckon he'd get it - far too big a risk - but if I were to bet on an outsider (33/1 with Bet Victor), i'd probably shove a couple of quid on Deane. Done a very solid job at a newly promoted Sarpsborg side in the Tippeligaen...

The OH GOD PLEASE NO! Candidates:

Mark Venus, Stuart Pearce, Alex McLeish, Roy Keane, Gary Megson, Graeme Souness, Michael Appleton, Paolo Di Canio, Neil Warnock. :P

Thinking out loud and probably still dreaming... How about RDM as manager, Mendieta and Jimmy Floyd as coaches. Mendi still lives in Yarm I believe, and JFH never has a bad word to say about the club. Good players who our lot can learn a bit off, few teaks here and their and maybe, just maybe we would have a good team... it would certainly get fans back.

Pity just wishful thinking though!

We've got to stop this old boys club mentality. Our most successful managers haven't been explayers.

Not to mention that JFH already has a managerial job at Antwerp. Doubt he'd come as a mere coach.

Mendi as a coach (not manager), if he got his badges, i'd take. Start him off with the U18s and bring him through the backroom ranks.

Mendi already has them I believe.

I don't know if he has already been mentioned but I wouldn't mind Boro taking a punt on mendieta. He still lives local always comes across that he knows his stuff on the Spanish football show on sky. Always talks about youth development. And is a known figure across the footballing world.

I'd love to know how we are now seen from an outside perspective. Gibbo will obviously always have his reputation as a fantastic chairman who will back his managers all the way and show a lot of patience, but what about us as a whole? I wonder if we're seen as just another Championship club now, or whether our past still gives us a lot of credibility.

Did Di Matteo ever speak to Forest when they were after a manager last season? Could give a big indication of whether he'd fancy the Championship or not.

Clough would be a very 'boring' appointment. Has done nothing of note in his career for me and was just a very safe pair of hands at Derby - he isn't a manager for really pushing a side on in my opinion, which is why Derby got rid. I think if his 2nd name wasn't Clough, he wouldn't be so high in the market.

Pulis, despite a lot of people not wanting him and Gibbo appearing to completely rule him out, would be a good appointment. He'd firstly make us solid and hard to beat and would get results. He gets a bit of unfair criticism I think, yes, he did play quite a long of long ball, but only when he had no other option. There are plenty of Stoke games I've watched over the years where they've played decent football and got really good results. Over the past few years he built his Stoke side on a big defence, two grafting central midfielders, two pacey wingers and two strikers. That suits our squad completely at the minute. I think given a season or two he'd get us up. His appointment would bring a lot of negativity in from a large section of fans though, so I think that's a no go.

I'm really thinking get somebody fresh in. Somebody who has no ties whatsoever to Boro and will come with some completely new ideas. I would absolutely love Di Matteo, think he done a really good job with WBA and obviously has a great record at Chelsea, people are speaking about winning the Champions League as if it is easy! He played some great sides in that competition and found a way to win the full thing. If he has any interest whatsoever in coming here then I would hope we would bend over backwards for him. He is a 'big name' and would excite fans.

Other names I wouldn't mind seeing would be Karl Robinson (young, plays good football, learning his trade at a lower league, comes across as a decent guy, liked by his fans), Mike Phelan (learnt under arguably the greatest manager ever, no doubt ready to become his own manager) and perhaps Uwe Rosler (leanrt his trade abroad and in a lower league, again his teams play decent football and he is well liked by his current fans). Rene Meulensteen is another really good shout, although I don't know a huge amount about him, he's been under Fergie so will have learnt loads, plus Fergie had nothing but huge praise for him.

This is a massively crucial appointment for the future of our club. Get the right gaffer in and we can still have a right go this season, we've got the squad capable of having a really good go and there is still plenty of time left in the season, Get it wrong however and the end result could be disastrous - we're close enough to the drop zone now that if we have a few more bad results we could get sucked in, and even though there's still a lot of time left, could prove really hard to claw out of.

Completely forgot to mention OGS - that would be another good, young, fresh appointment.

Good post which I endorse totally.

We need someone who is out of the box who can quickly transform the players both in attitude and performance wise.

Clough will only be a steady eddie and tbh we wil not see a transformation in the short term because if we are all honest that is what we want.

We need some excitement back at Boro to get Joe Public into the ground again and this will not happen with the usual candidates. I hope that SU appoint Clough so that can be put to bed.

There is one man only who can perhaps give us what we want and that is RDM

I'd love to know how we are now seen from an outside perspective. Gibbo will obviously always have his reputation as a fantastic chairman who will back his managers all the way and show a lot of patience, but what about us as a whole? I wonder if we're seen as just another Championship club now, or whether our past still gives us a lot of credibility.

Did Di Matteo ever speak to Forest when they were after a manager last season? Could give a big indication of whether he'd fancy the Championship or not.

He stated yesterday that he would consider Managing outside the PL and to me that is one of the reasons I feel we have a great shout at getting him

Good post which I endorse totally.

We need someone who is out of the box who can quickly transform the players both in attitude and performance wise.

Clough will only be a steady eddie and tbh we wil not see a transformation in the short term because if we are all honest that is what we want.

We need some excitement back at Boro to get Joe Public into the ground again and this will not happen with the usual candidates. I hope that SU appoint Clough so that can be put to bed.

There is one man only who can perhaps give us what we want and that is RDM

Your in love with the rdm idea aren't you