oneBoro Forum

The Boro Manager thread

I am getting very worried at the sight of McLeish's odds plummeting. If we appoint him, I am 100% sure we would be relegated this season! One of the worst managers about. Ask any Birmingham or Villa fan and they will tell you.

Personally, although none of the names linked really excite me, I would go with Phelan. Ok he might not have experience as a manager but being assistant at one of the best clubs in the world and to one of the best managers to ever have lived are bound to stand him in good stead to have a crack as a manager. Plus he appears to be well liked at United and beyond and we really could do with a manager who will provide us with good links in the transfer market.

Oh and I really hope we don't go with Venus either. What is he going to bring that will be different to Mogga. Plus he has absolutely no links within football. If we are going to go with him, why not just leave things the way they were with Mogga as manager. Appointing Venus would solve nothing. If we were to appoint from within I would rather us give Parnaby the chance after all he has done for the club with the youth academy.

Nothing to be worried about. Gibson has said he's not in a rush and he's interviewed NOBODY yet. Yesterday the favourite was Phelan, the day before it was Pulis and tomorrow it'll probably be Paul Jewell. Betting odds mean nothing.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting very worried at the sight of McLeish's odds plummeting. If we appoint him, I am 100% sure we would be relegated this season! One of the worst managers about. Ask any Birmingham or Villa fan and they will tell you.

Personally, although none of the names linked really excite me, I would go with Phelan. Ok he might not have experience as a manager but being assistant at one of the best clubs in the world and to one of the best managers to ever have lived are bound to stand him in good stead to have a crack as a manager. Plus he appears to be well liked at United and beyond and we really could do with a manager who will provide us with good links in the transfer market.

Oh and I really hope we don't go with Venus either. What is he going to bring that will be different to Mogga. Plus he has absolutely no links within football. If we are going to go with him, why not just leave things the way they were with Mogga as manager. Appointing Venus would solve nothing. If we were to appoint from within I would rather us give Parnaby the chance after all he has done for the club with the youth academy.

Nothing to be worried about. Gibson has said he's not in a rush and he's interviewed NOBODY yet. Yesterday the favourite was Phelan, the day before it was Pulis and tomorrow it'll probably be Paul Jewell. Betting odds mean nothing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the manager market. Even a bet as small as £20 changes the odds. It was said this morning that they get most of their information from twitter and never have any inside information. My guess is someone has plucked this one out of the air. I really couldn't see McLeish here (hope I'm right on this one!)

Alex McLeish would be a very poor choice for me also.

VB do you know anymore than what was in the Evening Gazette which said "appointing a director of football with a head coach under him could be an option".

Ok yeah that will have a key part to play on who our next manager/head coach is as I can't imagine someone like Holloway wanting to work under a Director of Football. Phelan on the other hand would surely welcome it.

I just cant seriously imagine why Alex Mcleish would be backed in from 20/1 to 5/2 without inside information. Most of the bets on new managers are fans just guessing and surely our fans wouldn't be backing him as a guess?

Alex Mcleish PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Mr Gibson

http://www.mfc.co.uk/page/news/managers-message/0,,1~3509266,00.html

Looks like Gibson is going to back Venus. Interestingly we've had several approaches from highly qualified managers but Gibson really wants to give Venus his chance. I think it's looking more and more likely that Venus will be given until at least the end of the season. We can more or less write this season off then.

Hi,

I have been reading this with interest as I always do for these markets as someone that works in the industry, I can tell you that reason the odds have gone down so much is due to the bets coming from none other than the Middlesbrough area.

So not sure if this means he has been sighted in the area, but it's certainly why he's been cut so much today.

Up to you whether you believe this...but it's the truth.

The fans are unhappy with Venus being given the chance so I imagine the players will be just as unhappy as he had a key part to us struggling under Mowbray.

I'm hoping Gibson is just saying(on the advice of Kenyon) it in order to keep the players focused and respect Venus whilst Gibson, Bauser and Kenyon search for the right manager.

Gibson dismissed getting pulis and Warnock who are better than MacLeish so that's why I'm sure it's not happening. As for people seeing him in the area he's been seen at a couple of our matches for whatever reason. This was while Mowbray was there so that's another reason I can't see us getting MacLeish because Gibson wouldn't let a future candidate watch a game while Mowbrays still in charge.

Every time I think about it Phelan makes more sense to me. Imagine the trifecta of Phelan, Neville and Kenyon, we would be a force for sure.

And we all remember how well signing one of fergie's assistants went with McClaren. I'm sure Sir Alex will put a good word in for us with Mike on that basis.

RE the Venus musings; has anyone thought that some of the other staff at the club, and maybe some of the players have made their feelings known regarding Mogga's tactics, training methods etc. It was very interesting to see that Venus had pretty much come out and said he's his own man when it comes to training - perhaps he thinks he can do a better job and Gibson agrees. Assuming the players can get behind Venus, Gibson installs Kenyon as a defacto Director of Football and the club moves on from there. There seems to have been a lot of turmoil since Mogga came in, not utilisng McDonald, and McManus, Bailey to some extent and the footballing lessons he wanted to instill were't the same as Gibsons plans for the club, who clearly wanted to bring in some quality from abroad - clearly this is the main reason alongside the results which probably show just how frustrated Gibson has become.