• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Wilson ‏@Scottwilsonecho 5h

Bookies making Mike Phelan odds on, but don't think it's anything like that clear cut. Don't rule out Mark Venus if #Boro impress on Friday.

---

If Scott Wilson actually gets it right for once and that genuinely is the case then - can;t even believe i'm saying this - but, for the good of the clubs future, I hope we lose on Friday... :s

Scott Wilson ‏@Scottwilsonecho 5h

Bookies making Mike Phelan odds on, but don't think it's anything like that clear cut. Don't rule out Mark Venus if #Boro impress on Friday.

---

If Scott Wilson actually gets it right for once and that genuinely is the case then - can;t even believe i'm saying this - but, for the good of the clubs future, I hope we lose on Friday... :s

x2

Really don't want him being manager. He'll have the same ideas as Mowbray. Mowbray's era ended when he got sacked. Simple as.

I've been reading all of these posts on who should be our next manager, and to be honest I don't want any of the current UK managers. I'm kind of tired of seeing holloway, hughes, bruce, ince at a different club every season or there abouts getting the same results spending large amounts of money and getting poor results.

I like the idea of Phelan but the risk is a pretty large one in my opinion. I really like the idea of a proven foreign manager too.

Whether or not thats a realistic want of mine remains to be seen, we've certainly lost a lot of draw in the past few seasons.

we've certainly lost a lot of draw in the past few seasons.

unfortunately thats the situation, which is why we need to take a risk on a fairly unproven manager. difficult position for gibson this time.

If we get Holloway well at least we will finally get Kevin Phillips playing for us;).

More seriously, we seem to have some decent names to choose from. Phelan is literally odds on, I reckon Holloway might want a break as he looked pretty stressed at the press conference - maybe a push to expect the chap to deliver three Championship promotions on the bounce. Cloughs is at Sheffield Ut and it looks like Pullis to Palace (sort of a rhyme) - still would like Wilkins but he is not even in the reckoning, RDM worries me for some reason and really don't want old hacks like MoN, Curbishly who will come thinking they are doing us a favour. I want somebody who is hungry for a chance, well connected and has a sense of humility. Phelan looks like he could be the man, Wilkins second and O'Driscol third in my wish list.

Personally, I'd be very wary of bringing in a foreign manager who didn't at least have experience in English football... Otherwise we could find another Wolves / Stale Solbakken on our hands.

The problem I'd foresee is that the Championship and the Football League is a beast unto itself; a football quicksand which has sucked under more 'big' clubs than ever before. With the Premiership becoming more European in its approach, the Champo has become like the archetypal English league - a style unparalleled in most of mainland Europe. It's a tough league to try and grasp if you've not experienced it at some level...

If Wolves had kept Ståle I don't doubt that they would have stayed up. He is a good manager and if he was available I would have no qualms about him taking the Boro reigns.

Meulensteen appointed Technical Director of Qatar FA. Sigh

There goes our dream partnership of Phelan and Meulensteen out of the window. Solsjkaer and Phelan or Phelan and Hasselbaink anyone?

Hmm, i'd beg to differ Borodane. Kept a close eye on Wolves last season and they looked pretty poor under Solbakken. But in reality, even if he did just keep them up, it would've been a huge failure of a season. With their personnel and the money they'd spent, they should have at least been challenging for the Play Offs (sound familiar!? :P)

There's far better candidates out there than Solbakken.

I'd be happy with any of this list taking charge:

Mike Phelan,

Roberto Di Matteo,

Mick McCarthy,

Ray Wilkins,

Russell Slade,

Karl Robinson,

Uwe Rosler,

Gary 'The Brains' Neville.

And i'd be content, though slightly worried, with Ian Holloway.