oneBoro Forum

The Boro Manager thread

cant believe its been 7 days since he was sacked. using an old football clique a week really is a long time in football. amazing how much more positive the mood is after a good win

worryingly we dont seem to be much closer to an appointment, perhaps it would be a good idea to give venus a few more games to stake his claim for the job. it looks like he is his own man and totally different from mogga all ready

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

cant believe its been 7 days since he was sacked. using an old football clique a week really is a long time in football. amazing how much more positive the mood is after a good win

worryingly we dont seem to be much closer to an appointment, perhaps it would be a good idea to give venus a few more games to stake his claim for the job. it looks like he is his own man and totally different from mogga all ready

Jamesp , it's been said many times that we couldn't have done any worse over the last 10 months if we'd had no manager in charge - a week is not a long time! We managed to win a game convincingly! Let's give it some time and get the manager we deserve for once.

Jamesp , it's been said many times that we couldn't have done any worse over the last 10 months if we'd had no manager in charge - a week is not a long time! We managed to win a game convincingly! Let's give it some time and get the manager we deserve for once.

its surely a more positive mood given how well we won? if venus keeps winning games then i would be more than happy for him to get the job

Because with a sledgehammer you'll crack a walnut every time. You mentioned we should take our time and get the manager we deserve? A director of football can focus for most of the season working on transfers, so why not bring one in to take their time and bring in the players we deserve? Also means that managers who get the team to perform well on the pitch, but poorly in the transfer market would become very shrewd appointments.

Venus deserves a chance why shouldnt he get one. But its only 2 games ago we beat yeovil 4-1 with mogga in charge. Lets see what happens at blackburn. Im not sure the gung ho attitude of fri night will work away at a better team

I suspect one of the front 4 from last Friday will not start at Blackburn. Tough decision on who to leave out.

Dropping marvin for butterfield would be the logical choice to keep the same formation but operate a bit more defensive. Would be harsh to drop any of the front four
No way would i drop marvin after fri. He was the hub of everything good. Itd probably have to be carayol
Would have said drop muzzy but that would mean changing the whole formation. If we kerp the two cbs at full back then we might not have to change the team at all. Just a bit worried that we will get over run in the midfield. Rovers are much better than donny
Carayol played a blinder there last season and I thought he looked great last match. Tough on him to drop him.
Why should we change the front 4? We attacked from the off and took the game to Donny. Why should that matter whether we are home or away? We had a solid back 4 and two solid midfielders. In my mind we shouldnt change a thing.

If it aint broke, don't fix it...

Ballsy CBB but I'm inclined to agree as I can't see which of the front 4 to leave out.
Mowbray didnt get results because he tinkered too much and was too cautious. We have 4 very good attacking players who each played excellently on Friday and linked up brilliantly. Lets give them the opportunity to do it again. With our back 4 plus Smallwood and Leadbitter we are not going to be caught on the break?
I'd be happy to keep pretty much the same team, with maybe one change of Varga in for Smallwood.

Exactly my thoughts. Either of these two suggestions works for me. But any other alterations (injuries permitting) make little to no sense to me.

wouldnt take smallwood out, he was fantastic on friday too
i thought the set-up ...midfield four especially ...against donny was spot on having the two central midfielders smallwood and leadbitter generally holding a deep role and concentrating on ball winning and pretty much staying i he central area of the pitch and letting the outside midfielders support and join the forwards knowing that having a flat back four behind them they werent leaving us as open to breaks as previously

i worry though were butterfield can fit in to this system as he isnt a holding midfielder nor a wide man . were fine exchanging most of the other midfielders on the books as they generally fit into the two descriptions and if needed would slot into the appropriate position . i think butterfield can be a key player but unless we change the system to accomodate him he may find himself on the subs bench which is a pity .

im not convinced with using rhys as right back but think we should stick with the flat back four as it was a vast improvement . much as george has a fair amount of fans i also think dropping him was a major plus point as he seems to have a poor attention span to off the ball goings on in his area and defensively is average at best .

We got opened up at left back first half and to some extent at right back, away from home against a better team i thnk they need more cover ,

Yes its hard on any of the front 4 but thats what hes payed to decide. M afraid if it aint broke dont fix it just doesnt cut the mustard. It wasnt broke at home against donny but thats not who we are playng sat

Blackburn aren't exactly world beaters. Anyway, they say attack is the best form of defence, so if we put them under pressure I'm sure they'll crack. Also the 4 centre backs would seem ideally suited to play against Blackburn because they would pretty much nullify the long ball to Rhodes
I'd keep it the same personally, only the full backs should be at risk.
But attack isnt always the best form of defence. Somwtimes it leaves huge gaps behind you

I'm sure 4 centre halfs an 2 holding midfielders will be more than enough to stop a counter attack, and if you have the pace of carayol and adomah, I doubt the full backs will press on much, so it pretty much nullifies them. So a counter attack wouldn't be the way to go for them to attack.

Nor would a long ball tactic as Jordan Rhodes won't win much in the air against the 4 CBs.

If they try to play possession, we've got leadbitter and Smallwood to break up play.

So their best option to attack would be to get the ball around the box and hope for a mistake from one of the defenders. And as we've seen plenty of times this season, putting more defensive players on the pitch doesn't stop this, so why bother with them when we can put out a potent attack?

Well first half on fri they got down our left side a few times and should have done better against a better side away from home they could possibly have been 2 up after half an hour and then its a different game

We could keep the same side but play like we did in the second half on Friday :)

Blackburn thread is open now fellas. Lets keep this to manager talk eh.

Oops, had a bit of a catastrophe while trying to move this interesting thread derailment over to the Blackburn match day thread, where it belongs. The discussion is easy to follow but I seem to have lost the poster details, somehow. Sorry.