oneBoro Forum

v Blackburn u 21s

I came away from Leigh Sports village last night with a smile on my face. A 2-0 win always helps but that was far from the only reason.

Having finished my pain au chocolat and my china tea I was reflecting on last night in bright sunshine. Sat high in the Pennines and surrounded by Reservoirs I don't see a lot of sun so it always cheers me up.

To watch our attack last night was at times an absolute joy. Luke Williams had a smile on his face for the first time in a long time as he inter-passed with Charlie Wyke and Cameron Park turning the opposition inside out. Manu not to be outdone or left behind, joined in. The cleverness of the close work and the accuracy of passing to passing to places that guys were moving into all added to the impression. I was surrounded by a large group of Blackburn's younger players. They were impressed too, oohs and aahs were regular interspersed with a few "fantastics" and even "class" and "how did he do that ?"

OK Blackburn are not Man City but they do not have a bad academy.

I've no idea of the prognosis on young McNab's injury. I hope its nothing too serious. Poor lad playing his first u 21 game got a 50/50 ball against against Slew who is a big lump and it was a crunching tackle form both sides. Whilst he seemed ok initially it was only a few seconds later when he was on the turf holding his leg.

It would be cruel to say that his injury was to be a game changer but I think it probably was.

Bennett moved over to left back and Bradley Halliday took over at right back. BH is normally a very competitive midfielder. As a right back he was even better !! His pace and get forward was noticeable and there were fewer opposition players to block his progress going forward. Defensively their left winger could not cope with being harried all the time and was subbed. Maybe there were half a dozen right backs in front of him when he went on the field but if he can keep up that level of performance that number will be reduced significantly any time soon.

With all this going on I've not mentioned Bryn Morris who was calm and assured throughout and Matty Waters who plugged away doing the breaking up and moving everything forward role really well.

Kieran Weledji did all that was asked of him and Jacko was almost back to his imperious best. Joe Fryer had a good debut at this level too.

Considering I'd been covered in hot tea having been hit by a keepers stray ball in warm up I ended up a lot happier than I was entitled to be. I even had the chief steward checking I was not about to sue

I'm still smiling

AR I was definitely happy with what I saw. If you think what Manu has achieved since this game, you have to wonder if some of the others could make the same sort of jump/difference. Luke, for example or "Mr Cool" Bryn Morris.

It was very obvious to me that Luke out on the wing is a waste. Get him into the centre where he can do things. There are times when he does naturally what others only think about. His best role is probably in behind the striker but currently he's behind Emnes and Butterfield and maybe Manu

I'm quite looking forward to the New Year