oneBoro Forum

Boro in 5 years time

The sacking of AVB from Spurs it got me thinking about where do you see Boro in 5 years time? And is this a realistic view?

I ask this because I have read about Spurs and Levy and how he aspires for Tottenham to be a champions league club. To me, personally I think that this season they were on course to achieve this. If not this season, then definitely the season after. With a young team, with little premiership experience I felt like they were doing great this season. 1 point better off than last year, and some dodgy results (West Ham 0-3) would have seen them even higher up. I also read that a lot of the fans expected Champions league this season and instant success with the new signings.

Anyway, enough about Spurs.

Where do you see Boro in 5 years time? Will we still be languishing in the Championship? And what do most fans think would be a realistic 'success' for the next 3 seasons ahead?

It's the next five months that worry me. Could easily be in the bottom three by New Year.

In answer to your question though I would like us in the next three years to out a sustained challenge for promotion from the championship. To qualify for the play offs would be a major achievement

How sad is that

Next three years I'd be happy with:

This season - Anywhere safe

Next season - Top 10

Season after - Play offs (Promotion, but wouldn't be devastated if we didn't)

Season after - Promotion via any avenue.

Few years to sort the team out, let a squad be built of players who want to be here and want to play the way the manager wants/lets the club continue to build to current style of play.

Two, three, four, five, years time? The attendance has been dwindling year on year since we dropped out of the PL. I see this situation continuing, the longer we remain in the Championship (or worse). I therefore do not think we have the luxury of three, four or five years to regain promotion to the PL. Support lost is rarely regained over time (People find other things to do on a Saturday afternoon) unless something changes. I know that and so does Steve Gibson. That is why he backed GS2 for a quick return.

Well 2008-09 was our last in the Prem, so five years back - we signed Emnes, Digart and Hoyte. Theoretically good signings but no good on the green stuff. We won 5 at home and drew 8. Away we won only two all season. Ringing any bells.

In truth I have not got a clue but it does not look promising. Gibbo might come good in January and back Karanka - we will see.

I see us as a mid table Championship side struggling to attract decent players just like Sheffield We'd, Leeds, Derby (until very recently), Forest, Birmingham, Wolves etc etc. We could shortly be an also run side being watched by 10,000 at best a game. That is why we need to turn this malaise around - we are getting to used to poor performances. If we don't turn this soon we will be deep in the mire and maybe out of the top flight for a decade or two. I only hope Parnaby has some gems due to come through the academy. Thoroughly depressed now :(

I did read Swansea were nearly out of business and the league 10 years ago and playing Hull in Div 2 - so there is hope but I maybe 60 before we are next in the Prem and I'm 47 now - feeling even worse!!

AVB was sacked because of his stubbornness, that would've cost them getting in the champions league.

He insisted on playing a high defensive line and refused to change. It's a shame because I liked him but teams figured him out at Chelsea and did again at Spurs, now he doesn't have a match winner.

As from us if nothing changes in the next 6 months we'll be the same as we are now or in league one. The fans will lose interest being at the bottom of the championship and it won't be worth Gibbo putting money in anymore.

This January is vital.

If we're going to stand any chance of being promoted ever then Karanka, Gibson and co need to whittle out the complacency throughout the first team squad that has held us back for years. Whilst the likes of Swansea, Blackpool and Crystal Palace(all smaller and less resourced than us when in the Championship) have managed to out perform us and punch above their weight. We're perpetual underachievers and I'm sick of it.

Karanka needs time to improve our fortunes so hopefully the fans will keep patient with him in the short term.

I can't see Boro being a Premier League club in 5 years' time.

If we get lucky and achieve promotion at the end of year 3, I can see us relegated after the first season in the PL, resuming Championship status in year 5.

Naturally, I hope for better but if I had to money on it, the Championship in year 5 would be my bet.

As others have said, I don't think we should be looking that far ahead right now. Our immediate priority has to be Championship survival.

There is far too much uncertainty in our immediate future and inconsistency in our performances to even think about challenging for promotion. All I would say is that if we manage to stay up this season, then it will probably take at least a couple of seasons to change the squad and get it playing as a cohesive unit. Then, maybe, we can start to think about promotion.

As it is, we still don't know if AK has what it takes to succeed as a coach, or if Gibson can provide him with the funds to significantly improve the squad. That said, I do remember reading somewhere that Bulkhaul were supposed to have made something like a £50million profit last year. Maybe Gibson can divert some of that to the club's coffers?

As to fans' expectations, I get the impression most of the folks on here are realistic enough not to expect miracles (at Christmas or any other time). They may not be happy, but I don't get the impression anyone is expecting Premier League football next season.

I have thought about this for a while since i seen this post and ill be honest i still cant think what i believe we might be doing in 5 years. I mean i think January Karanka will be backed extremely well by Gibbo.

Hopefully stay up and then again back him next to kick start this season. And then who knows play-offs? Automatic promotion?

But on the other hand this season could get even worse and we are relegated. Then i dread to think... If that was to happen i think we would have to end up supporting marske in a couple of years...