oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

Is this about the Ian Holloway article or am I missing something? I haven't mentioned crowds since before the Brighton game.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

Stop playing silly buggers, CT, you know exactly which game people are talking about.

I'm not playing silly beggars ffs!  I'm asking why my name is being brought up now?  Is it about the Ian Holloway article that I've just gone back and saw was linked earlier on the thread because I haven't mentioned anything on the subject since we last spoke about it?

Stop playing silly buggers, CT, you know exactly which game people are talking about.

I'm not playing silly beggars ffs!  I'm asking why my name is being brought up now?  Is it about the Ian Holloway article that I've just gone back and saw was linked earlier on the thread because I haven't mentioned anything on the subject since we last spoke about it?

I think the article has brought your comments up again, yes. Because Holloway has commented on how the atmosphere helped us and hindered Brighton and like you said, nobody's brought your comments up until now since before the game, as far as I can remember.

But at the end of the day, there's countless professionals who have said the exact same thing as Holloway so I don't expect your opinion to change based on that, you said yourself before (and I'm paraphrasing here) that you thought the comments made by sporting professionals about the atmosphere and how it affected them were simply making excuses. Your main point was that if a team doesn't turn up, the atmosphere doesn't make a difference.

The counter argument was that a great positive atmosphere helps a team believe more, get up for the game more and essentially help them 'turn up' to a game and facing that level of belief from 30,000+ people can hinder your own belief and confidence in your game.

Oh right well what do people want me to say? Ian Holloway, who was once viewed as someone on a par with Hitler on this forum, has said some things that are completely meaningless and don't hold up to any scrutiny.

“I was very concerned because I’ve been to the Riverside a few times and was a little bit critical of the support,” said Holloway.

And yet we have the best home record in the Championship. Has he even been at a game that we haven't won? Was he at Leeds at home last season perhaps because every TV game at home this season has been a win. No that's not true, there was one we didn't win, that was against Brighton :)

“But I’ve got to say it’s the most incredible atmosphere I’ve ever been in, ever. It was almost unfair on Brighton."

Who drew with us with 10 men. Thank God for the crowd or we might have lost against 10 men instead.

Just because someone says something that doesn't make it true. Think for yourselves.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Holloway is the most creditable source, like you say, he's been called everything under the Sun on here and rightly so. But he's not the only one to say such things about an atmosphere.

There's thinking for yourself, then there's taking heed of an opinion shared by the masses who have much more experience than you or I in judging such a thing.

Shared by the masses who have no experience of it either but base their opinion on people like Holloway saying things that when you look at them don't necessarily make sense. It then becomes accepted wisdom and only when you start to look at it do you see that maybe it's not true at all.

Holloway's article actually gets closer to confirming my opinion but people like Borodane can't even see that because they ignore what happened and put more focus instead on what he said. Look at what happened and look at what he said - it doesn't match up :)

Anyway I was done with all of this before, I don't really see the point in going over it again.

Didn't want to cause an argument just wanted to hear whether you thought the crowd made a difference to the players in a positive way against Brighton. If you don't then fine.

I don't really. It wasn't even close to our best performance of the season in my opinion and we didn't win the game, which is something that people seem to forget. This whole thing seems to come down to saying that it must help because you can't prove that it doesn't. I didn't see anything on the pitch that was out of the ordinary from us but clearly I can't prove that we wouldn't have played worse if the atmosphere wasn't as good.

It's a bit of a nothing argument this, if proof is what you're after CT. Of course no one can prove it either way, as there's no evidence.

I've missed the whole discussion above, so am most definitely pointing out the obvious, but I'd be surprised if a bumper crowd, and a positive, loud atmosphere doesn't spur the team on to perform. Countless times after home, and away games, players have commented post-match saying something along the lines of 'the fans atmosphere really carried us through..'

I think in any sport, at any level, having a crowd behind you cheering and spurring you on is sure to give you confidence to perform better?

I could be wrong but I think Ayala has won the PFA player of the year. The final votes coming through are 40% each but the votes in the JSON from the XHR requests have it at:

Ayala: 37,979

Forestieri: 37,810

So a win for Ayala by 169 votes. I joined back in for the last hour or so to try and hold them off and I can tell you now it has been shifting this way and that. The response brought back at one point was showing a 1% lead for Forestieri which given the number of votes made seems impossible, that would have had to be around 900 votes difference which doesn't make sense given the most it seemed to come to was around a 160 vote difference.

Love how some of them are calling it an injustice on OwlsTalk when most of the votes really shouldn't have counted.

Like d_z said earlier, if they revoke votes based on IP address, it could still swing either way.

I could be wrong but I think Ayala has won the PFA player of the year. The final votes coming through are 40% each but the votes in the JSON from the XHR requests have it at:

Ayala: 37,979

Forestieri: 37,810

So a win for Ayala by 169 votes. I joined back in for the last hour or so to try and hold them off and I can tell you now it has been shifting this way and that. The response brought back at one point was showing a 1% lead for Forestieri which given the number of votes made seems impossible, that would have had to be around 900 votes difference which doesn't make sense given the most it seemed to come to was around a 160 vote difference.

How can you see how many votes each player got?  I can only see the percentages and the total vote count at the bottom