oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

Maybe instead of trading players we could ask Fulham if they fancy trading managers?

Let's get it done!

The way Fulham played yesterday, where the commentators blamed it on the manager alone, that they only have 1 win and now lost to Huddersfield on an own goal... I watched  the game and they sucked big time. No speed, no creativity and a lot of gestures at the ref for every descision that didn't go there way...

So are you saying you'd rather have Pulis?   :funny: :funny: :funny:

Well no 

Just saying that the grass aint always greener on the other side of the pitch  :liar:

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

Careful what you wish for, guys.

Even though I’m not a pulis fan I can understand what you mean. I can’t think of someone who would be a better bet at this moment. It would probably a complete gamble or another dinosaur like Steve Bruce.

It willl be Woodgate, absolutely no question.

If it's Woodgate, you can knock 10 thousand off the crowds for the following season.

Why on earth would that be?

Careful what you wish for, guys.

Even though I’m not a pulis fan I can understand what you mean. I can’t think of someone who would be a better bet at this moment. It would probably a complete gamble or another dinosaur like Steve Bruce.

If it's Woodgate, you can knock 10 thousand off the crowds for the following season.

Because it would be a completely unambitious and small time appointment.

Hopefully Gibson will have learnt from putting unqualified rookies in a job after Southgate and Agnew but nothing would surprise me.

Gibson seems to put a lot of stock in having local people around the club, I'd rather have the best man for the job rather than someone who's best asset is where he grew up.

Recent history shows that our current crowd will drop by about 10 thousand less than what it is now if things go wrong. A Woodgate appointment wouldn't have people flocking to buy season tickets, to be honest I don't even think he's that popular on Teesside.

Because it would be a completely unambitious and small time appointment.

Hopefully Gibson will have learnt from putting unqualified rookies in a job after Southgate and Agnew but nothing would surprise me.

Gibson seems to put a lot of stock in having local people around the club, I'd rather have the best man for the job rather than someone who's best asset is where he grew up.

Recent history shows that our current crowd will drop by about 10 thousand less than what it is now if things go wrong. A Woodgate appointment wouldn't have people flocking to buy season tickets, to be honest I don't even think he's that popular on Teesside.

Woodgate has done his coaching badges and he’s been involved in coaching the first team for a while. He’s played for Real Madrid, Spurs and Newcastle, he’s captained Boro and loves the club, He took charge of the team pre season and he wasn’t afraid to play the youngsters, he actually came out and said how excited he was about the young players coming through.

I think that he would play a decent brand of football, he may not be a big name, but I can think of another ex Real Madrid defender that did alright for us, even though he was a “rookie” too.

I don't understand why Woodgate would be seen as a small time appointment. Played at the highest possible level. If you ever listen to him in interviews he has fantastic knowledge of the game, there was a Marca interview he did fully in Spanish and it was very enlightening on how he sees football. I liked how he set the B team up in preseason and likes to use the youth lads. To me it's a Lampard like appointment, I'd be right behind it.

I don't understand why Woodgate would be seen as a small time appointment. Played at the highest possible level. If you ever listen to him in interviews he has fantastic knowledge of the game, there was a Marca interview he did fully in Spanish and it was very enlightening on how he sees football. I liked how he set the B team up in preseason and likes to use the youth lads. To me it's a Lampard like appointment, I'd be right behind it.

Maybe not smalltime but inexperienced and a gamble. But sometimes you gamble and it pays off. I suppose it depends on who else would be available.

So ..

What should our defense look like, now Ayala returns from suspension.

Ayala is a quality defender, but is prone to brain dead brutal faults and elbows and stuff. Scores the odd goal (used too).

Batth played a really good game and have a lot of experience. But he has only played "one" good game and without him we have had the best defense in the league. He is apparently better with the ball than both Flint and Ayala.

Flint does a job, but doesn't score as much as "promised" by his former stats.

Fry does a good job too, but might be too young for Pulis (no funny puns here guys) .. He can bring the ball out as well ..

Does one of Batth or Fry play on the RB, now Shotton is long time injured?

Who would YOU play, if you were the manager?

There's only one thing for it now - ultimate Pulisball

------------------ Randolph ----------------

--Fry --- Batth --- Ayala -- Flint --- Friend --

------------------- Clayton ---------------------

------- Howson -- Besic -- Downing ------

-------------------- Hugill ---------------------

I'd like to see us start with(4-2-3-1):

Randolph; McNair, Batth, Flint, Friend; Clayton, Howson; Downing, Braithwaite, Tavernier; Hugill

We need to try to find a new formula to get wins when the impetus is on us to attack teams, so trying that team would make the best out of a bad situation in attacking areas. We need to get far more out of Braithwaite - so play him in his natural position with a targetman like Hugill to play off - and to give Tavernier (or even Chapman if match fit?) a chance to establish himself at LW as nobody has performed there. Even Braithwaite has struggled to do much at LW so he'd be wasted there. Tavernier and Braithwaite are far more crisp footballers so should benefit from playing together.

if, and its still only an iff, Woodgate is seen as the successor to Pulis ,which im sure has been mentioned other than mere speculation, heres where i cant quite see the logic.

Pulis sets up his side and recruits accordingly to play in a Dogmatic fashion in the hope of tiptoeing our way to promotion and for all the misgivings as to this as a spectacle the end result would be celebrated hence leaving us with the decision/choice of re-negotiating a further contract with him which may suit both parties  given his know how of how to keep a lesser team in the premier league and im sure even a fair number of fans not over enthused with his footballing philosophies (me included)would be open to TP guiding us through one or at a push two seasons of establishment in the top flight. 

Thats if the basic plan works out and we DO get up.

So going back to the point in question re.Woodgate being primed for succession.

it wont seem to make sense as JW appears to adopt a far more adventurous   approach which im not knocking btw, but it takes us back to square one regarding the type of squad he will inherit ,thats even before questioning whether he may also be too inexperienced as with Southgate all those years ago. the other nagging doubt with me is not exactly on field related but its that old jobs for friends issue  which for all the fantastic qualities and all the gratefullness you can bestow on our chairman , is a flaw in his armour. 

the last three managers appointed have been polar opposites in terms of defensive v offensive nous .....defensive then-offensive then defensive...  which is not ideal in its own rights but  the worrying issue regarding choosing the next man is that the general consensus would not to suffer another ultra defensive coach especially in the championship so that means that restructuring the squad and continuing the recent zigzag trend of differing styles of manager will have to go on one more time.

Boro v Burton confirmed for Tuesday, December 18th 19:45

Boro v Burton on standby for Sky 

If Claude Puel’s team win, their quarter-final match with Manchester City will be screened live on Sky Sports.

“However, if Southampton progress, Middlesbrough’s match with Burton Albion will be the selected TV tie as Mark Hughes’ team cannot play on Tuesday, December 18, due to their scheduled Premier League clash with ***nal on Sunday, December 16

if, and its still only an iff, Woodgate is seen as the successor to Pulis ,which im sure has been mentioned other than mere speculation, heres where i cant quite see the logic.

Pulis sets up his side and recruits accordingly to play in a Dogmatic fashion in the hope of tiptoeing our way to promotion and for all the misgivings as to this as a spectacle the end result would be celebrated hence leaving us with the decision/choice of re-negotiating a further contract with him which may suit both parties  given his know how of how to keep a lesser team in the premier league and im sure even a fair number of fans not over enthused with his footballing philosophies (me included)would be open to TP guiding us through one or at a push two seasons of establishment in the top flight. 

it wont seem to make sense as JW appears to adopt a far more adventurous   approach which im not knocking btw, but it takes us back to square one regarding the type of squad he will inherit ,thats even before questioning whether he may also be too inexperienced as with Southgate all those years ago. the other nagging doubt with me is not exactly on field related but its that old jobs for friends issue  which for all the fantastic qualities and all the gratefullness you can bestow on our chairman , is a flaw in his armour. 

the last three managers appointed have been polar opposites in terms of defensive v offensive nous .....defensive then-offensive then defensive...  which is not ideal in its own rights but  the worrying issue regarding choosing the next man is that the general consensus would not to suffer another ultra defensive coach especially in the championship so that means that restructuring the squad and continuing the recent zigzag trend of differing styles of manager will have to go on one more time.

Going from one extreme to another in managerial appointments and football philosophy is exactly what Gibson does.

We never have a long term plan or we've never seemed to in the past.

Maybe Woodgate is the start of a new strategy to plan for the future, I still think it's more to do with him being a local rather than him having certain characteristics that mark him as a good potential manager.

Maybe he speaks a bit of Spanish that's great, I still don't think he comes across as very articulate when I've heard him talking about football.

I know I won't convince the glass half full types on here but even if I was being generous I think a Woodgate appointment would be a massive gamble.

Going from one extreme to another in managerial appointments and football philosophy is exactly what Gibson does.

We never have a long term plan or we've never seemed to in the past.

Maybe Woodgate is the start of a new strategy to plan for the future, I still think it's more to do with him being a local rather than him having certain characteristics that mark him as a good potential manager.

Maybe he speaks a bit of Spanish that's great, I still don't think he comes across as very articulate when I've heard him talking about football.

I know I won't convince the glass half full types on here but even if I was being generous I think a Woodgate appointment would be a massive gamble.

i dont really know what i am at present...glass half full or glass half empty mate.  honestly it changes week on week , but i agree with you and could easily be convinced . id even go one step further than your ....him being a local line and worry that its seemingly (as with two or three others within the club) socially friends.