oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

But each of them were appointed to the role when they started every week. So even though they've dropped out of the team, like Leadbitter, they are never actually stripped of the captaincy.

For me, when you actually appoint a captain, you choose someone who will start when fit.  

I agree that is how it worked a few years ago and it might work that way with JW but there habe been players who been stripped of their captaincy and carried on playing. Lampard took captaincy of Keogh last season and gave it to Curtis Davies but Davies was not a guaranteed starter even before injury ruled him out.

I guess we shall see but i am not taking Friend being captain that he definitely will start if fit.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

Just now, Brunners said:

Friend was appointed captain on Leadbitters sale, I thought, which means he was picked when he was something that was chosen when fit.

Aye true, although I don't ever remember there being an official announcement about that. Plus, I think you can get away with changing captains when you come in as a new manager. 

It's all irrelevant of course, as at this moment in time, Friend is guaranteed to be a starter anyway as our only senior LB

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Just a thought, has Woodgate not thought to ask Braithwaite what he wants to do? 

It would seem like a pretty important thing for me to find out if I was the manager. 

It is what i would do and maybe he has. JW could just be saying stuff about MB that suits everyone for now to hear. Him coming out saying MB has said he wants to leave certainly would not strengthen our hand when it comes to selling him. There could be some sort of "gentleman's agreement" between everyone.

One thing i do feel though is that MB and JW get on much better with one another than MB and TP did.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

That's different though, Leadbitter was made captain during a time when he was one of the first names on the teamsheet, and deservedly so.

Friend as club captain is fine, but shouldn't be a guaranteed starter.

I'm not so sure it is different. George has been our vice-captain for ages, certainly during the period when he was definitely one of the first names on the team-sheet. It's not like we made a big song and dance about George taking over the captaincy when Grant left, it was pretty silently handed over to him because he is (and has been for a while) the guaranteed next man on the list. He's been a leader for us whilst Grant was here, not just after.

And let's be honest, with our squad right now, he's still one of the first names on the team-sheet, he's the only left-back with any experience and pedigree in our squad, regardless of how little people think of his capabilities right now. Time will tell over the season whether Woody does bring through Reading and/or Coulson as he justifiably should based on what I've seen so far. But neither of those two have a thoroughly worthy claim to a first-team spot right now, they still have to earn it from George and prove they're worth being in the team ahead of him. They don't get a claim to his spot simply because they're not George Friend.

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

It is what i would do and maybe he has. JW could just be saying stuff about MB that suits everyone for now to hear. Him coming out saying MB has said he wants to leave certainly would not strengthen our hand when it comes to selling him. There could be some sort of "gentleman's agreement" between everyone.

One thing i do feel though is that MB and JW get on much better with one another than MB and TP did.

Yeah I was kidding, I'm sure Woodgate knows fine well what Braithwaite wants to do.  Just thought it might have been funny if someone had asked him on the radio why he hasn't discussed it with Braithwaite. 

Is anyone going to the meet and greet of the coaching team at Riverside Stadium on Tues 30th July at 5.30pm?

I been to last 2 involving Monk and Pulis. Monk and his team asked pre prepared questions from the floor, i assume to censor any difficult ones. TP to his credit took them of the floor there and then and was happy to answer anything that came his way. Pulis was more enjoyable as was not staged in the way i got Monks was.

Doubt I will go to this one but if anyone does would be grateful for you tell us what happened on here.

46 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Is anyone going to the meet and greet of the coaching team at Riverside Stadium on Tues 30th July at 5.30pm?

I been to last 2 involving Monk and Pulis. Monk and his team asked pre prepared questions from the floor, i assume to censor any difficult ones. TP to his credit took them of the floor there and then and was happy to answer anything that came his way. Pulis was more enjoyable as was not staged in the way i got Monks was.

Doubt I will go to this one but if anyone does would be grateful for you tell us what happened on here.

I'm going with my dad,il try post as I'm there each q and a

Edited by Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die
30 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

I'm going with my dad,il try post as I'm there each q and a

Ah you are a good man, Dan. Thank you.

Last time i was there they asked us to not record anything so be careful.

Appreciate your efforts.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Ash said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what are/were the Twe12thman group and do they still exist?

No idea, but that's a horrible way of spelling 12th man.

Maybe it's the bloke who brings out the refreshments in the cricket.

• Haha 1
Just now, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

No idea, but that's a horrible way of spelling 12th man.

Maybe it's the bloke who brings out the refreshments in the cricket.

Haha, I agree with you there! ? I think they're a supporters group of some sort from looking online but I don't think I've ever seen them before.

They're a fans group who sit in the North stand (Block 15 if memory serves). They occasionally do flags and banners, but aren't really as impressive as the Red Faction. 

• Like 1