oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

1 hour ago, Sarumite said:

BBC Tees have a perfectly good commentator.. just a shame it's Rob Law and not Mark 'I love a cliche and club nickname and talk about anything but the game' Drury 

I don't think I'd go down too well either, with my southern accent and all.. long commute too as back in the land of over priced houses ?

TBF to Mark and Maddo, last season there wasn't often much to talk about in the way of football, their commentary was about as good as they could make it.

Still, we've been left with whatever was second best to Ali Brownlee at the time. I remember when Mark Drury first came on board around the time Ali was ill and it all felt very weird, he'd done one or two before then but I think he's honestly got a lot better since then. If we don't get another like Ali, we've still been blessed to have had him in our lifetime for as long as we had him.

Drury and Maddo is also a lot better than Addison and Gill were 10 years ago when Tees first took the commentary back.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

TBF to Mark and Maddo, last season there wasn't often much to talk about in the way of football, their commentary was about as good as they could make it.

Still, we've been left with whatever was second best to Ali Brownlee at the time. I remember when Mark Drury first came on board around the time Ali was ill and it all felt very weird, he'd done one or two before then but I think he's honestly got a lot better since then. If we don't get another like Ali, we've still been blessed to have had him in our lifetime for as long as we had him.

Drury and Maddo is also a lot better than Addison and Gill were 10 years ago when Tees first took the commentary back.

My problem with Mark Drury is it feels like he's commentating for a bigger aim - like it's a constant 5live audition. It's not what people generally want from a local radio commentator. 

Nothing wrong with a bit of bias - his only audience is Teesside and those willing to pay MFC - get less excited when the oppo score

• Like 1

I do agree, far from the worst commentary team we've had to listen to following the Boro. Addo is a decent presenter and the trio thing works.

Bernie had his time, it worked well as the Yang to Ali's Ying.

Higgy was good too - far more tactical awareness in his comments.

22 minutes ago, Sarumite said:

My problem with Mark Drury is it feels like he's commentating for a bigger aim - like it's a constant 5live audition. It's not what people generally want from a local radio commentator. 

Nothing wrong with a bit of bias - his only audience is Teesside and those willing to pay MFC - get less excited when the oppo score

Would fully agree with this, I listen to a lot of our away matches on the radio and half the time he gets more excited about the opposition attacking and/or scoring than he does Boro.

Given his sometimes limited descriptions of what's happening during the match, it can be confusing and incredibly frustrating.

Maybe he is wanting to go in that direction? Wouldn't begrudge a man to aim higher in his profession if that's his aim in life. As it is, he worked the touchline for years and clearly the plan was always for him to take over after Ali hung up his microphone, so to speak. I can't imagine he was expecting it to come as soon as it did.

Agreed regarding Higgy too, always thought it was good when a free-kick was about to be taken and Higgy would be telling Ali where he was going to put it.

I'm sure he is, I've followed a few commentators careers and being biased on local radio hasn't stopped the best rising to the top.

I'm led to believe Ali turned down moves up the ladder as he only wanted to commentate on the Boro. He was also the reason why so many of our games were picked for 5live/sports extra in his days when nothing else was on. Because the standard was high.

• Like 1

Must admit found the above posts very interesting and informative.

It would be great if there was a sample audio of your commenting for the members to listen to, you could pick out your best with a goal scored by Boro!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Must admit found the above posts very interesting and informative.

It would be great if there was a sample audio of your commenting for the members to listen to, you could pick out your best with a goal scored by Boro!

He's only been doing it for the last two years mate ?

I was just reading FMTTM and an article about Alan Moore.  It's a such a shame how injuries pretty much ruined what could have been a really good career and it goes without saying it's good that he feels he's in a better place now with his mental issues. 

Anyway, that's not really what this post is about.  In the article it says he's an opposition analyst for Wigan so he's been scouting us for them in preparation for tonight's game.  If you're wondering what his assessment of our start to the season is, apparently it's been "awful". 

Anyway that's also not really what this post is about either. What I was wondering is, do we self-scout?  In other words, do we analyse ourselves in the same way as we analyse opposition teams?  I'm not talking about the coaches looking at a DVD of the game afterwards, I'm talking about having someone from outside actually scouting our games as we would do with opposition teams in order to try and identify areas of weakness and areas that other teams scouting us might look to exploit?  Does anyone happen to know?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

I was just reading FMTTM and an article about Alan Moore.  It's a such a shame how injuries pretty much ruined what could have been a really good career and it goes without saying it's good that he feels he's in a better place now with his mental issues. 

Anyway, that's not really what this post is about.  In the article it says he's an opposition analyst for Wigan so he's been scouting us for them in preparation for tonight's game.  If you're wondering what his assessment of our start to the season is, apparently it's been "awful". 

Anyway that's also not really what this post is about either. What I was wondering is, do we self-scout?  In other words, do we analyse ourselves in the same way as we analyse opposition teams?  I'm not talking about the coaches looking at a DVD of the game afterwards, I'm talking about having someone from outside actually scouting our games as we would do with opposition teams in order to try and identify areas of weakness and areas that other teams scouting us might look to exploit?  Does anyone happen to know?

I'm not sure if it does happen CT. But I think you are on to something there. It certainly should. They should get an independent scout to analyse our games as if they were to be future opposition. It should teach us something about ourselves.

Go straight to the top of the class for that idea. ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Isn’t that what’s Gestede has been doing for the last couple of seasons ?‍♂️

11 hours ago, Sarumite said:

I'm sure he is, I've followed a few commentators careers and being biased on local radio hasn't stopped the best rising to the top.

I'm led to believe Ali turned down moves up the ladder as he only wanted to commentate on the Boro. He was also the reason why so many of our games were picked for 5live/sports extra in his days when nothing else was on. Because the standard was high.

Man I miss Ali. Him and Higgy were the dream team. 

We didn't know how lucky we were!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, boro-unger said:

Man I miss Ali. Him and Higgy were the dream team. 

We didn't know how lucky we were!

Eindhoven still sends shivers down my spine, Ali was one of a kind. If he didn't have half the stuff he said at the time written down, he was a bloody wordsmith. As I say, we were blessed to have had him in our lives as fans. I can only imagine what he said looking down on the Brighton game as all that added time finally ran out.