• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

Discussion of Karanka led me back to the 16/17 Crystal Palace away game thread. Remember that? The one where Husband didn't play left-back and apparently we decided to play 5 across the back the day before the game? It wasn't long before he was sacked.

Anyway, not related to the formation or team selection but I saw this quote towards the end of that thread from @Duvel. Reading it now 2.5 years on is kind of mad. I wonder how Woodgate will react in January when we inevitably don't sign players we need:

I was annoyed with Karanka in January for his stupid outbursts, I think now you can see why because he knew then the writing was on the wall.

I agree in a sense that the manager carries the can but he's been given an impossible job as well, Karanka's mistake is not walking out in January when he could have left without a relegation on his cv.

This is starting to feel a bit like the Southgate era, I think Southgate was a far worse manager but he also had to do the job with one arm tied behind his back.

• Like 1

But we then went out and spent a lot of money after that point so it's not really the same situation.  The situation now is comparable to Southgate but I don't believe that point in time was comparable.  We brought a lot of players in under Karanka, let's not forget that.  Under Southgate it was more about letting good players leave and replacing them with inferior players.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

But we then went out and spent a lot of money after that point so it's not really the same situation.  The situation now is comparable to Southgate but I don't believe that point in time was comparable.  We brought a lot of players in under Karanka, let's not forget that.  Under Southgate it was more about letting good players leave and replacing them with inferior players.

Oh you mean Gibson for Flint for no one... Adama for Saville and no one for Bamford? 😛

3 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Fair play to the Gazette, they are absolutely going all in on defending the current situation 🆘

If they were just defending Woodgate and pointing a finger higher up, I wouldn't mind. However, somehow the club is also being defended by Pulis pointing out the stupid amount of money we spent 2.5 years ago, rather than the opposite happening. Why is the debate being framed as "Well, what a good job Tony did in his constraints", why isn't it "Well one has to question why he was in that position" and "Oh yeah, we still spent £20m on players last year that were either *** or we already don't want, oh wait we do want one of them, we just had no idea how good he was last year despite spending £5m on them".