oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

And an absolutely incredible free kick to score the first. Brynn had absolutely no chance. Power and right in the top corner.

Shame, it's been bitty but we've probably had the better chances so far. United have been very quiet. Not entirely sure it was a free kick but there you go.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

Well, we had a penalty. It wasn't a great one from Liddle, really close to the keeper and quite easily saved. Walker had put the ball into the back of the net just before that so a striker can finish... shame there was a foul in the build up and it didn't count. 😂

Was about to say Wood has looked great, one of the better players in our team. Then he gives away the ball and they score from it. Still, far ahead of where you'd probably expect a lad of his age to be.

I've liked the look of Wood, Hackney, Malley and Walker. Dodds has been decent, Brynn had little to do, couldn't do anything about either goal. Coulson has been his 'usual self', tenacious and always running at players. Mad that we're losing this game 2-0 to be honest, it's not reflective of the game at all.

I think my favourite move of the game so far was Brynn playing a short goal kick to Wood who played a ball to Hackney who was pretty well covered by a Man Utd player, but he took control, span away from the player and slid a perfect through ball to Malley making a great run through the centre of the pitch. It was really calm and collected but clever football.

6 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Discussion of Karanka led me back to the 16/17 Crystal Palace away game thread. Remember that? The one where Husband didn't play left-back and apparently we decided to play 5 across the back the day before the game? It wasn't long before he was sacked.

Anyway, not related to the formation or team selection but I saw this quote towards the end of that thread from @Duvel. Reading it now 2.5 years on is kind of mad. I wonder how Woodgate will react in January when we inevitably don't sign players we need:

I can't remember writing that comment but it does sound like something I'd say. I'll be honest and say that the Southgate appointment was the beginning of me starting to doubt Gibson, before that I thought he barely got any big decisions wrong. Even though I've criticised managers on here I've always thought the problem stemmed from the man at the top.  

To answer CT's point about the Southgate and Karanka comparison, I think the similarity was a failure in the January to strengthen which eventually led to relegation. Under Southgate we apparently turned down big bids for Downing even though we had a ready made replacement sat on  the bench. We were crying out for another striker and I remember us being linked to James Beattie, he eventually went to Stoke and scored a few goals to help them stay up. We should have sold Downing which would have allowed us to buy 2 or 3 players. 

Both our relegations in 09 & 17 felt like we pretty much gave up as a club. You could argue that neither manager was supported in the transfer market when it was needed the most. 

2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Both our relegations in 09 & 17 felt like we pretty much gave up as a club. You could argue that neither manager was supported in the transfer market when it was needed the most. 

And it feels like we are already in the same scenario this season...

Rumarn Burrell with a scrappy goal has made it 2-1, didn't actually see who he came on for, looks like Liddle maybe? Then Spence has come on for Folarin who looked like he might have had an injury too.