oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

Another for Chong, game has been much more open in the 2nd half, in particular just after we scored and again unsurprisingly, the one lad on the pitch who is probably Premier League ready takes advantage.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, White Band said:

And it feels like we are already in the same scenario this season...

I guess time will tell, theres still time to salvage the season. If theres no money maybe we'll have to wheel and deal to support Woodgate in the market, that's if Gibson still believes in him.

If the results don't improve soon then maybe the change will be with the manager rather than the players. I think it has to be one or the other because doing nothing might end up with us going down. 

53 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I guess time will tell, theres still time to salvage the season. If theres no money maybe we'll have to wheel and deal to support Woodgate in the market, that's if Gibson still believes in him.

If the results don't improve soon then maybe the change will be with the manager rather than the players. I think it has to be one or the other because doing nothing might end up with us going down. 

There is still time if sensible decisions are made. Unfortunately I have absolutely no confidence in the club's ability to make sensible, wise decisions. 

Woodgate would never have been my choice of manager but I was initially prepared to wait and see how things went. It is now clear that he is completely out of his depth. Perhaps more worrying, he also seems to have lost the dressing room.

It's not a case of my being harsh on Woody due to Gibbo not giving us Jokanovic (which some fans seem to be getting accused of from some quarters). I didn't actually want Jokanovic because the funds and rebuild he would have demanded would have been beyond us and he would not have been a sustainable option in the longer term. I know it wasn't a popular view, but Hughton would have been my choice because I honestly believe that he would have got the most out of the players we already had without need for a major rebuild. Someone like Adkins would have been my second choice  - a solid, reliable Championship manager who would know how to utilise our players. Yes, these weren't the most exciting options, but we need stability rather than the repeated boom and bust cycle.

The thing I most want from the club is honesty.  Those of us who felt that the club were lying to us about Woodgate being the 'best' candidate were heavily criticised in the summer.  I think time has shed some light on that. The club seem to think that we are all thick and will just buy whatever lies they tell us because Steve Gibson 'saved' us. 

• Like 2

I still don't think the club lied a great deal about Woodgate being the best candidate. Considering all the information I've seen, it sounds like he was the only realistic candidate. It sounds very much like the interviews for other candidates were more for the benefit of them than us, their demands couldn't be met (including Hughton) so Woody was appointed almost by default. Nobody else was going to get a budget and a decent wage, the task for a manager of Hughton's calibre to stabilise a club seems a bit below him.

Adkins is an interesting choice admittedly, he certainly bit the bullet at Hull for a while but he still had owners willing to keep a hold of a prize asset in Bowen who somehow continues to be a Hull player. Would he have liked having all his best players thrown to the highest bidders, in some cases regardless of what that bid was, and have very little else coming the opposite direction? It would have been a difficult role for him or anyone.

No, the club's message of it picking the 'best' man for the job doesn't sit well, 'best' is a misleading word in this scenario. But a lie? That would assume we could have hired someone else, that someone else was willing to take the job, someone with experience we needed to stabilise us and allow us to rebuild whilst satisfying a desire for attacking football. But I think some overestimate what a club in our position can actually do to bring in a manager. Maybe even so far as Adkins being potentially unrealistic, it genuinely comes off as that bad to me.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I still don't think the club lied a great deal about Woodgate being the best candidate. Considering all the information I've seen, it sounds like he was the only realistic candidate. It sounds very much like the interviews for other candidates were more for the benefit of them than us, their demands couldn't be met (including Hughton) so Woody was appointed almost by default. Nobody else was going to get a budget and a decent wage, the task for a manager of Hughton's calibre to stabilise a club seems a bit below him.

Adkins is an interesting choice admittedly, he certainly bit the bullet at Hull for a while but he still had owners willing to keep a hold of a prize asset in Bowen who somehow continues to be a Hull player. Would he have liked having all his best players thrown to the highest bidders, in some cases regardless of what that bid was, and have very little else coming the opposite direction? It would have been a difficult role for him or anyone.

No, the club's message of it picking the 'best' man for the job doesn't sit well, 'best' is a misleading word in this scenario. But a lie? That would assume we could have hired someone else, that someone else was willing to take the job, someone with experience we needed to stabilise us and allow us to rebuild whilst satisfying a desire for attacking football. But I think some overestimate what a club in our position can actually do to bring in a manager. Maybe even so far as Adkins being potentially unrealistic, it genuinely comes off as that bad to me.

I think it's a lie, mate.  I'm not sure how you can think otherwise even with the rest of your analysis there?  There are 20 Premier League clubs and then after that we'd have been viewed probably as somewhere in the next 10 best clubs.  Are you seriously saying that we couldn't do better than Woodgate on that basis?  The club weren't looking to do better than him, that's the problem, and suggesting that he was the best candidate is a lie because of this.  I don't believe for a second that they looked around with any real interest in appointing anyone else (after the actual first choice, Pulis, knocked it back). 

As for the desire for attacking football, it's a load of *** that they came out with to try and justify appointing Woodgate.  Inexperienced Head Coach, new philosophy, how exciting, blah blah blah.  Lasted all of about two weeks didn't it because it has absolutely no foundations.  I don't think Gibson cares about any of that at all, everything was simply about doing things as cheaply as possible, the rest is just window dressing.

• Like 6
48 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think it's a lie, mate.  I'm not sure how you can think otherwise even with the rest of your analysis there?  There are 20 Premier League clubs and then after that we'd have been viewed probably as somewhere in the next 10 best clubs.  Are you seriously saying that we couldn't do better than Woodgate on that basis?  The club weren't looking to do better than him, that's the problem, and suggesting that he was the best candidate is a lie because of this.  I don't believe for a second that they looked around with any real interest in appointing anyone else (after the actual first choice, Pulis, knocked it back). 

As for the desire for attacking football, it's a load of *** that they came out with to try and justify appointing Woodgate.  Inexperienced Head Coach, new philosophy, how exciting, blah blah blah.  Lasted all of about two weeks didn't it because it has absolutely no foundations.  I don't think Gibson cares about any of that at all, everything was simply about doing things as cheaply as possible, the rest is just window dressing.

Totally agree, unfortunately people were vilified on here for predicting this would happen in the summer. 

It was obvious from about a year ago that Woodgate was being groomed for the job even though he was nowhere near being ready. He's just the fall guy while Gibson balances the books after more of his own mistakes. All the stuff about a new style were PR statements to appease the fans, same as the Leo appointment. Do the club think we are completely stupid? 

The Jokanovic story seems even more ridiculous now when we see how things have panned out, as if we were in serious talks with him 😂

Evening All,

I was talking to a friend today (non boro fan) who made a comment which got me thinking. He said Woodgates 8 games without a win must be close to being a record for a Boro manager?

In line with that does anyone know which boro manager does have the unwanted record of longest run without a win?

I know Karanka left having failed to win in 10 games. Pulis obv had them 6 straight defeats so think that was his longest? Cant recall how long Robson went wothout a win until El Tel came in to assist...

19 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Evening All,

I was talking to a friend today (non boro fan) who made a comment which got me thinking. He said Woodgates 8 games without a win must be close to being a record for a Boro manager?

In line with that does anyone know which boro manager does have the unwanted record of longest run without a win?

I know Karanka left having failed to win in 10 games. Pulis obv had them 6 straight defeats so think that was his longest? Cant recall how long Robson went wothout a win until El Tel came in to assist...

I think that this is the perfect question for @Erimus74. The man is a walking enclopedia when it comes to Boro. Over to you E74 👍

Realistic Dani Ayala opens up on his Middlesbrough contract situation as the clock ticks down

The Spanish defender wants to stay but knows Boro are moving to a different financial model

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/realistic-dani-ayala-opens-up-17206074?fbclid=IwAR1DDU_RuOW_c_iKr0UaEJPjLpEzWfCXOQGWnx7fFC17yyA1N52zXtSGDIo

Tbh Ayala is probably the only one I would open talks with, although both club and player is going to wait and see which league we will be playing in. Howson might be another but we are well stocked in midfield and I can't see anyone there being sold.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Thank you @Harry Tequila. Looks like Bobby Murdoch was manager then unless that run was shared by two managers. Before my time mind.

Wonder who holds the record under Gibsons ownership? Hopefully @Erimus74 will kindly assist...

If you're just looking at league games then it's a record of 16 without a win held by Karanka (10) and Agnew (6) 

A lot of the other bad runs tended to have a win thrown in somewhere.  Someone mentioned Robson before Venables, we only went 9 without a win but 8 were defeats, we'd only won two games all season and we hadn't won a home game at all heading into December.  Southgate managed 14 without a win during the season we went down so that's the longest with just one manager but we never lost more than 3 in a row during that run because we drew some games within it.  During 96/97 we went 12 without a win prior to that Blackburn game and the season before that we also went 13 without a win, which featured 10 defeats.  Fun times!

Edited by Changing Times
  • Like 1