• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

I'm just not sure jumping to the conclusions of what we need to stay up is what we need in December after being beaten by one of the top teams on their own turf. Even in the Prem season, had we appointed someone good we may have stayed up, and by and large that was quite a late decision. The after-effects of making this specific change will be just as bad if not worse than Pulis.

Yes, I think Warnock would keep us up, not much more than that, I don't think any manager is going to get the backing to take us beyond that. Which means existing for the sake of existing with no real end goal. I know some are apathetic to the cause right now but I don't think surviving in this division under Warnock will change that. It might well enshrine it instead.

Maybe the idea is to bring Warnock in as a mentor to Woodgate and steady the ship for now but giving Woodgate the necessary tools to take us forward next season?

17 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm just not sure jumping to the conclusions of what we need to stay up is what we need in December after being beaten by one of the top teams on their own turf. Even in the Prem season, had we appointed someone good we may have stayed up, and by and large that was quite a late decision. The after-effects of making this specific change will be just as bad if not worse than Pulis.

Yes, I think Warnock would keep us up, not much more than that, I don't think any manager is going to get the backing to take us beyond that. Which means existing for the sake of existing with no real end goal. I know some are apathetic to the cause right now but I don't think surviving in this division under Warnock will change that. It might well enshrine it instead.

How can being relegated be better than not being relegated? I'll take 'just staying up' right now. Our last two relegations have turned out brilliantly.

Warnock has got a team promoted in the last two years and almost kept them up too - harsh in my opinion to compare to Pulis who failed in direct competition with a vastly superior budget.

I don't think anyone has ever dreamt of seeing Warnock as their team's manager... but would take him over the pure embarrassing ineptitude getting served up right now. If Woody keeps up it will be through blind luck of there somehow being three poorer teams. 

• Like 3
Just now, SouthernSmoggie said:

How can being relegated be better than not being relegated? I'll take 'just staying up' right now. Our last two relegations have turned out brilliantly.

Warnock has got a team promoted in the last two years and almost kept them up too - harsh in my opinion to compare to Pulis who failed in direct competition with a vastly superior budget.

I don't think anyone has ever dreamt of seeing Warnock as their team's manager... but would take him over the pure embarrassing ineptitude getting served up right now. If Woody keeps up it will be through blind luck of there somehow being three poorer teams. 

That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying changing manager right now to avoid relegation, changing to Warnock to do that, will go right back into the territory of Pulis for a large number of fans. Whatever your position on Woodgate's ability, changing to a manager who can just help us avoid relegation with very little hope of developing this brand of football people so desire is going to ire and provide distaste to some people. It was bad enough when we were up at the top end of the table, do you really think people are going to welcome 'avoiding relegation' with crap football as a means to prevent their apathy of us?

Basically... if we can avoid relegation with Woodgate and show any level of improvement in our game whilst doing it, the kind of stuff that was seen against Hull before the red card, that will go a little bit further to helping rebuild the positive feelings towards the club... instead of accepting our fate right now as being too far-gone and changing back to a more functional brand of play with a manager who doesn't know how else to play just to maintain our position in this division.

I'm not against Warnock ever coming in, I'd obviously rather be a Championship team than a League One team, I just think it's too early to throw in the towel on whatever semblance of a plan we have with Woodgate for the sake of getting Warnock.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

That may be so, the club's hand may be forced in an effort to keep us up. However, abandoning our supposed new direction less than 6 months after it was announced would be an embarrassment. All this would really highlight to me is the club's failure to commit to the new direction in the summer. They gave us rhetoric and nothing else. Frauds, the lot of them.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Maybe the idea is to bring Warnock in as a mentor to Woodgate and steady the ship for now but giving Woodgate the necessary tools to take us forward next season?

I did wonder whether there was a chance this might be a venables type situation.

26 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Didn't Pulis mentor him last season?

One of the main arguments for Woodgate on here in the summer was that he was learning from Pulis and being really hands on with the first team.

If Woodgate wasn't ready or still isn't ready now then he shouldn't have been given the job in the first place.