oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

I think we need to move away from thinking this project has been a failure. The implementation to this point has been a failure. That includes recruitment, coaching, management and results. But for once i want us to stick to our guns and follow through with the ideas we had, because generally they were good and positive ideas. 

Appointing warnock would just tear the whole thing up and start again. Again. If were to replace woodgate we have to get someone who can carry the project forward or were back to square one and will be years behind.

This is exactly my thoughts too. I've been moaning about us not having a long term plan/vision for our football club. We finally get to the stage of the club, wanting to pursue a long term vision, whether it is for seeing the value and strategy of having a plan in place or it is purely a financial decision (I think the latter personally).

Then less than 6 months in people are calling for it to be scrapped, do a complete 180 and to bring in effectively a Pulis V2 (or is it Pulis that was a Warnock V2?). I have to agree (and am frustrated) at the moment that we don't have a brand of football even close to what was promised and we are in a relegation scrap, but these things take years to implement. Did the famous Barca and Ajax academies spring up over night. Even the RB Liepzig project (with millions worth of funding) took years to come to fruition (I've seen people on here mention them a lot).

What is evident and what really annoys me the most, as @Neverbefore has pointed out is that the execution of this plan has been poorly managed. But even if everything was executed perfectly I would still expect this plan to take time.

Just my 2 cents.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

This is exactly my thoughts too. I've been moaning about us not having a long term plan/vision for our football club. We finally get to the stage of the club, wanting to pursue a long term vision, whether it is for seeing the value and strategy of having a plan in place or it is purely a financial decision (I think the latter personally).

Then less than 6 months in people are calling for it to be scrapped, do a complete 180 and to bring in effectively a Pulis V2 (or is it Pulis that was a Warnock V2?). I have to agree (and am frustrated) at the moment that we don't have a brand of football even close to what was promised and we are in a relegation scrap, but these things take years to implement. Did the famous Barca and Ajax academies spring up over night. Even the RB Liepzig project (with millions worth of funding) took years to come to fruition (I've seen people on here mention them a lot).

What is evident and what really annoys me the most, as @Neverbefore has pointed out is that the execution of this plan has been poorly managed. But even if everything was executed perfectly I would still expect this plan to take time.

Just my 2 cents.

That's ok if you actually believe there was a plan to start with. 

I think the reality about a change in direction was a load of spin to pacify the fans after another tinpot appointment. 

You had a situation where no one wanted Woodgate, then after the opening press conference and a few Gazette propaganda pieces everyone was jumping for joy. 

All it took was a few soundbites about playing attacking football and bringing Leo and Mejias back to the club and it kept everybody sweet. 

Some of us have heard it all before, I posted a Gazette article from the Southgate era when we were getting the same PR stuff and where did we go after Southgate? Strachan. 

Gibson said he was grieving after the Pulis departure, that doesn't sound like a club wanting to shift direction. Now we are linked with Warnock, I'm sorry but I can't trust a word that comes out of the club or the PR team of Tallantire and Vickers. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Woodgate hasn't stuck to his guns.

He gave up on it 7 games in to the season and has never tried to go back to it.

Whether Woodgate stays or goes, we're not trying to stick to the blueprint laid out at the start of the season.

Woodgate can't win (a game of football I know ololololol)

Some fans wanted him to go back to something that was more effective with the players at his disposal.

Some fans want him to stick to his guns against all odds.

This isn't like Monk who had any player he wanted brought on board then decided to change tact before the window had even closed. This is entirely different. This is Woodgate admitting playing the way he wants us to play is going to be very difficult without the players he needs to play the system. And it's a case of changing to something more befitting of what he's got and I think in that regard, however much I want to see the 4-3-3 back, he's probably right to have done so.

• Like 2

I really couldn't care less what Woody thinks about Leeds tbh. He began there as a pro and it helped shape him into the player he went on to be, I'm not remotely shocked or concerned that he wants good things for them and I've no idea why anyone else cares that much either.

• Like 1

Not sure I agree.

Before going to 5 at the back, we had scored 8 and conceded 8 in 7 games. With a missed penalty and two goals questionably ruled out, one of the goals conceded was a daft penalty.

In the next 7 games, whilst playing 5 at the back, we scored 3 and conceded 9.

One of those games was a 0-0 against a team playing with 10 men for 80 minutes.

I didn't include the games after the first 14 out of balance, but since then we've conceded 10 and scored 5 in 5 games.

We've got worse since changing to 5 at the back.

14 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Woodgate can't win (a game of football I know ololololol)

Some fans wanted him to go back to something that was more effective with the players at his disposal.

Some fans want him to stick to his guns against all odds.

This isn't like Monk who had any player he wanted brought on board then decided to change tact before the window had even closed. This is entirely different. This is Woodgate admitting playing the way he wants us to play is going to be very difficult without the players he needs to play the system. And it's a case of changing to something more befitting of what he's got and I think in that regard, however much I want to see the 4-3-3 back, he's probably right to have done so.

Woodgate has to win games otherwise he's going to get criticised, that's the bottom line. 

I don't mind him being more pragmatic and trying to win a bit more ugly. However if you are sacrificing style you need to replace that with points. 

You're right, he literally can't win which is the problem and he was struggling to win even before the injury crisis. 

I know injuries haven't helped recently but they've become a convenient excuse for someone that couldn't win with a virtually full strength squad. 

• Like 1