oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

37 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Woodgate can't win (a game of football I know ololololol)

Some fans wanted him to go back to something that was more effective with the players at his disposal.

Some fans want him to stick to his guns against all odds.

This isn't like Monk who had any player he wanted brought on board then decided to change tact before the window had even closed. This is entirely different. This is Woodgate admitting playing the way he wants us to play is going to be very difficult without the players he needs to play the system. And it's a case of changing to something more befitting of what he's got and I think in that regard, however much I want to see the 4-3-3 back, he's probably right to have done so.

It isn't really against all odds though, is it?

Woodgate admitting things that aren't his fault is a pretty good way of deflecting blame from himself but to a certain extent he probably has a point.  But we did sign players in the summer, players he apparently wanted, and he hasn't played them.  So it's not entirely clear what the situation would be now had we signed more players that he wanted.

Someone else has already made this point but there isn't a great deal of evidence to suggest we have adopted an approach that's more effective with the players at his disposal.  You'd be hard pushed to say we've improved other than 36 mins against Hull.  On that basis, what benefit is there to not playing the way he believes we should play, if indeed he believes it at all?

We basically played a certain way at Luton and then against Brentford and then it stopped although the actual playing was really just about pressing because with the ball we didn't have much going for us.  We didn't play anything like it at Blackburn in the third league game and the two following home games against Wigan and Millwall were poor performances against mediocre sides.  There was hardly any pattern to our play in any of those games either, we'd just abandoned the pressing.  Completely changing tack after two games seems ridiculous to me.  The issue then and now is how crap we are with the ball and I just don't think that the changes we've made have actually had the slightest impact on that.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

Just to add to that, having read that match report from the Crystal Palace v Boro U23's game, it seems like we are still using the pressing stuff at that level.  So we have different ways of playing between both teams, which is ludicrous really.

28 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I really couldn't care less what Woody thinks about Leeds tbh. He began there as a pro and it helped shape him into the player he went on to be, I'm not remotely shocked or concerned that he wants good things for them and I've no idea why anyone else cares that much either.

I agree. He has said he does not hate geordies and why should’nt he have an affinity with a club that gave him his chance at pro football. He seems quite a genuine sort of guy really. 

As head coach I cant say I am convinced that he is the man to take us forward. I dont see how he could suggest that the players we had could play the pressing football he alluded to at his initial press conference. And that is after a year of coaching them. To me it calls into question his judgement of a footballers ability. That said has his judgement been any worse than Monks or Pulis. Monk spent £7m on Fletcher. Pulis the same on Saville. Its their players that have made such a limited squad and have soaked up all the money. To me it feels like we are in the eye of a perfect storm. Poor, unbalanced squad, no money due to ffp, a new club philosophy and a recruitment team that seems unable to unearth what the club needs. Woodgate is in the middle of all that. He may be part of the problem. If he has identified Bola, Dijksteel and Browne as players to take us forward then his judgement does have to be questioned. That said until the club provide the manager with a balanced squad I dont think it matters who is in charge.

What's going on with our medical department?

Everyone's coming back too early and getting injured again, or having injuries that vastly exceed the original prediction.

Suppose it could just be bad luck but it's happening with so many of our players lately.

3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

What's going on with our medical department?

Everyone's coming back too early and getting injured again, or having injuries that vastly exceed the original prediction.

Suppose it could just be bad luck but it's happening with so many of our players lately.

There was pressure on our medical team from management to get players healed up and back onto the pitch as quickly as possible.

Last season they rushed a certain player back too soon and he got re-injured and is currently going through legal actions with the club, so it's probably for the best that we just let them do their jobs properly.

3 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I don't think we'll see Randolph play for us again, sadly.

Well that would suggest he’s being sold in January. But who would buy a croc player? Unless he’s faking/exaggerating 🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I reckon you might see him in the Spurs game if he hasn't played before that.

What makes you say that? He's currently injured and word is we've been offering him to clubs. Not sure we'd risk playing him if that was the case.

2 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

What makes you say that? He's currently injured and word is we've been offering him to clubs. Not sure we'd risk playing him if that was the case.

Big game, on the telly, just a hunch that he'll play in it if he hasn't been sold by that point.