oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

1 minute ago, Will said:

Under Pulis we appealed Adama actually striking someone in the face and it was overturned.

Probably because the FA recognised it was the only interesting thing that happened at Boro that season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Will said:

Under Pulis we appealed Adama actually striking someone in the face and it was overturned.

And there was that Gestede red card against Norwich which was a 50/50, studs up and dangerous... might have got the ball but Pulis came out afterwards saying:

"I have seen challenges in the Premier League this week that were 10 times worse than that and the players haven’t been sent off."

To portray Pulis as if he's someone who accepts things as they are and says it as it is both honestly and indefensibly, so would have done so on this occasion, is really not based on anything. It actually just seems like a further attempt to dig a hole for Woodgate.

He's got plenty of faults but I find it incredible that after Pulis, Woodgate's intelligence based on his comments is being taken to task as if it's any worse than what we had before. Certainly the thing that seems to grind people's gears, praising other teams both before and after a ball's been kicked, is right out of the Pulis playbook.

25 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

I'm fairly sure there was footage and it showed him basically shoving the guy in the chest not the face.

That's what I thought but I couldn't find anything on YouTube. Either way it was an independent panel that cleared him so probably not so much Pulis' influence with the FA as it was the referee and fourth official just getting it wrong for the overturning.

39 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Also regarding the Traore red card, there was never any clear footage of it was there as it was an off-the ball incident at a corner kick?

I think the reason they overturned it was Oviedo stuck his fingers near his eye prompting Traore's shove. Gestede's vs Norwich I have no recollection of but the 2 straight reds we had last season Pulis appealed I'd say Besic was a frivolous defence by Pulis, Ayala he made a strong case for on the force of tackle issue but I don't remember him saying he appealed it because I heard someone saying Ayala nutted the guy so invalid.

Pulis wasn't honest no manager's publicly are! The problem I'm pointing out is Woodgate saying he appealed because someone told him McNair stamped is I don't think he's lying to us when he says thats why he appealed and that's the broader issue I have, tell me a smart lie over a stupid truth especially if you absolutely must dig in to try and defend an elbow on the back of a discipline collapse in a relegation battle.

53 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Pulis wasn't honest no manager's publicly are! The problem I'm pointing out is Woodgate saying he appealed because someone told him McNair stamped is I don't think he's lying to us when he says thats why he appealed and that's the broader issue I have, tell me a smart lie over a stupid truth especially if you absolutely must dig in to try and defend an elbow on the back of a discipline collapse in a relegation battle.

Of course it's not a lie? Why would you think that should be a lie? What we've done as a whole is a bit frivolous, he made a red card worthy challenge but we're contesting the means behind awarding the red card because as a matter of fact, the referee's report must have been incorrect, he didn't stamp the player and a stamp isn't why he should have been sent off.

I don't quite understand why you think no other manager would have wanted to try appealing that? Managers in Woodgate's tenuous position don't tend to worry about looking like a bit of a tit if there's a chance their squad could be a bit better prepared for the next game. They want all guns at the ready. This does look a bit daft, he deserves a red card but I don't think Woodgate really cares if he deserves it or not right now as he needs players fit. He could go hell for leather on McNair and potentially leave himself a further unpopular figure too. As it is, he's got little to work with and I'd say there's a good case for being a bit lenient on players because there's just not enough competition behind them to keep them out if they go wrong.

2 hours ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

Although I’m not sure the McNair appeal is clear evidence of it, Woodgate is clearly stupid. I was initially going to word that as ‘Woodgate is not the smartest’ but I think that’s too kind. He’s just stupid. I’d heard many a time about his lack of intelligence in years gone by. Where it became especially apparent to me was watching his interviews side by side with Lee Johnson’s at Bristol away. Whereas Johnson was measured and articulate, Woodgate was so simplistic in how he conveyed his message and lacked any sort of nuance. That’s evident in pretty much all of his interviews . The man deals in simple and often emotional language that seems to have little thought behind it. There is no doubt in my mind that Jonathan Woodgate is stupid. 

Which of course begs the question as to why he got the job in the first place.

Woodgate is definitely unintelligent. That has been a running joke about him for his entire career... And let's be honest, it's not a great sign when even other footballers single him out for being a bit slow. 

On 12/20/2019 at 5:29 PM, wilsoncgp said:

He's probably one of, if not the most intelligent defender we've ever had in my 15 years following Boro, though I imagine people will want to gloss over that point.

Theres a difference between being able to read the game when you are on the pitch to being able to coach and manage players. 

Some of the best English players of all time failed as managers.