• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Theres a difference between being able to read the game when you are on the pitch to being able to coach and manage players. 

Some of the best English players of all time failed as managers. 

Of course there is, but people are just flat out calling him unintelligent and he's shown in his playing career that he isn't, even though it's apparently a 'running joke' that he's unintelligent throughout his career (by who, I wonder?), not just management. Thus why I pointed out we've not had a more intelligent defender in my years of following Boro. By my own analysis, taking that into account, what does that make Southgate, Ehiogu, Riggott, Pogatetz, Wheater, McManus etc.? They must all have struggled to tie their own shoelaces if Woodgate is thick.

Even failing as a manager doesn't make you thick.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Of course there is, but people are just flat out calling him unintelligent and he's shown in his playing career that he isn't, even though it's apparently a 'running joke' that he's unintelligent throughout his career (by who, I wonder?), not just management. Thus why I pointed out we've not had a more intelligent defender in my years of following Boro. By my own analysis, taking that into account, what does that make Southgate, Ehiogu, Riggott, Pogatetz, Wheater, McManus etc.? They must all have struggled to tie their own shoelaces if Woodgate is thick.

Totally agree Woodgate was a superb defender, only injury stopped him gaining a multitude of England caps. Yes, you would have to question the management at Spurs and Real Madrid wanting to sign such an unintelligent footballer, they obviously didn't know what they were doing.

If failing as a manager makes you thick then there's a lot of unintelligent ex footballers kicking about. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rioch's Braves said:

I just don't see that if Woodgate fails as a manager that makes him thick and unintelligent, it just makes him a poor manager/coach nothing more.  

He hasn’t failed yet either. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I would have thought that being thick makes you thick, as it were?  I'm not sure how him being a good footballer relates to his intelligence though?  I don't understand the link between the two?

Although I suppose it's possible that had it not been for his illness, Stephen Hawking would have been one of the best number 10's in history.  It's also a little known fact that when the apple fell from the tree, Isaac Newton didn't just watch it fall, oh no.  He took it first time on the volley and put in the top bin before whipping off his coat, waistcoat, shirt and cravat whilst running to the crowd.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think you are confusing the two again. 

You can be highly skilled at a sport and still be completely gormless in normal life. I'd say Woodgate was an excellent defender and superb at reading the game. If that's what people class as intelligent on the pitch that's fair enough. When he wasn't playing he was undisciplined and made lots of poor choices in life that led to him spending half of his career injured. Is that intelligence? 

I think hearing Woodgate talk he doesn't immediately strike you as being particularly articulate. If you listen to one of his interviews compared to one of Southgate's there's a big difference in how they can express themselves. That clearly will be a difference in the way they are able to communicate with their players.