• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Johnmfc81 said:

Interesting to see a switch in woody now getting final say. Wonder why?

If the info is true, it would suggest that Bevington previously had the final say. Now he's gone, I guess they don't want it to be Gibbo, Bausor or Gill.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

Hmmm. I can't decide whether that's good or not. It's a change from what it was, which seemingly wasn't good. But now it's down to Woody to judge if a player is good enough or not? Not exactly a definitive improvement but it's up to him to prove one way or another.

We can only hope that Woodgate can see we are lacking pace and creativity in the final third and that the money men will actually listen to his demands and not sign more central plodders and useless league 1 gambles. 

6 minutes ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Just what I'm bring told. It would point to the fact that the club are basically saying If it goes tits up then it makes removing Woody easier.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the info SDS

Didnt  the club make a big fuss over the 5 man recruitment committee over the summer? If this was actually implemented then why is bevington the only one to go? This feels little bit like the victor orta scapegoating. Or was it all a load of rubbish from the start? I cant believe a thing that the club comes out with anymore, they've completely lost my trust.

• Like 3

They did. 

They’ve made Bevington responsible for 3 players Woodgate wanted and hasn’t been able to integrate into the team and improve from a coaching perspective.

I can’t get my head around how JW has been able to buy players for a system, then abandon that system after 1 month, going back to the pre-historic tactics of his predecessor. 

For the “buy low/sell high” model to work, JW and his team have to squeeze every ounce of quality out of the talent, and the 5 months to date, suggest he’s incapable of doing so. Therefore, is Gibson changing tact already to protect JW? 

The appointment of the head coach should have fitted into the club philosophy. If anyone should have been sacked it should have been Woodgate when he was struggling to get the team to perform in the system he promised at the start of the season, instead of allowing him to dramatically switch system back to Pulis' style, and then sack Bevington who oversaw the planned strategy that the head coach moved away from.

So Gibson was only able to stop himself from abandoning the new strategy after a pathetic, shambolic, impulsive, knee-jerking 6 months. Any properly run club will have sacked the head coach. Good luck to us if we attempt to appoint a Director of Football. If I was them I'd be majorly concerned with Gibson's inability to see a strategy through, and his willingness to throw someone at a strategic level under the bus like Orta and now Bevington.

If we signed Bola, Dijksteel and Browne under a head coach like Karanka then I'd be confident that they'd have all faired a great deal better than they have under Woodgate as he is simply out of his depth attempting to play the style of play that he promised.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Johnmfc81 said:

Interesting to see a switch in woody now getting final say. Wonder why?

I don't see why Bevington should have had the final say on transfers or why he was being allowed any input on signings really. His background is PR and administration which hardly qualifies him to identify talent. 

The only role he may have been qualified in might have been to use his contacts in the game to do background checks on the players to see how they would fit into our dressing room. 

I've criticised the roles of Bevington and Bausor on here before when it was suggested they were on a committee which identified and signed players, however I think the biggest failure this season so far has been not being able to get the best out of the players and that's on Woodgate not anyone else. 

I think the Bevington sacking (if that's what's genuinely happened) is just Gibson's way of shifting the blame away from himself. 

So far the preseason promises of a new era, new direction and a change in playing style look like lies and being linked with Neil Warnock doesn't help the clubs cause in that respect either. 

3 minutes ago, Duvel said:

So far the preseason promises of a new era, new direction and a change in playing style look like lies and being linked with Neil Warnock doesn't help the clubs cause in that respect either. 

I'm not wholly convinced our changes on the pitch simply represent lies. I don't disagree about the influence of Gibson and Bausor being essentially unchanged barring cutting back on spending a *** ton of money but I wouldn't band the changes we've made during this season along with say Garry Monk's, for example. We were near the bottom, we've changed a few things to better fit the players we have and now, eventually, we are picking up points. Pretty sure you yourself said Woodgate may well have to abandon his preferred system for a bit to get points on the board. We're not smashing anyone but we are slowly but surely edging away from the bottom of the pack right now. The times in games where we look most positive are when we are pressing into teams and winning the ball back or forcing errors like booting the ball out of play, regardless of the change from 4-3-3 to 5-3-2 so there's that too, that was part of what we did reasonably well at the start of the season.

2 hours ago, Borodane said:

We can only hope that Woodgate can see we are lacking pace and creativity in the final third and that the money men will actually listen to his demands and not sign more central plodders and useless league 1 gambles. 

I suspect Woodgate knows what kinds of players he wants, whether our scouts can find players who fit our budget is another thing entirely. At this stage, when Woodgate has been so stretched with his team selections that he's happy with semi-injured players knocking on his door to help out, I wouldn't put it past him to sign off on someone who isn't ideal just to get bodies in. There has to be a balance, there. We do need numbers but we can't just fill the roster with nobodies or hopefuls. We could so with at least one cast-iron, definitive improvement to the creative side of our game.

5 hours ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

So Bevington mutual separation meant Sack. The Golden thread he spoke about had one slight problem... it never involved Woody. Even him coming out with I have Djiksteel.and Bola in my presentation was club PR. Woody now has final say on players...

Hold on a second.  Are you saying that the now infamous PowerPoint presentation never happened and that Woodgate didn't have Bola, Browne and Dijksteel pencilled in as our priority signings?  Why would the club lie to us and toy with our emotions like this 😭

37 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm not wholly convinced our changes on the pitch simply represent lies. I don't disagree about the influence of Gibson and Bausor being essentially unchanged barring cutting back on spending a *** ton of money but I wouldn't band the changes we've made during this season along with say Garry Monk's, for example. We were near the bottom, we've changed a few things to better fit the players we have and now, eventually, we are picking up points. Pretty sure you yourself said Woodgate may well have to abandon his preferred system for a bit to get points on the board. We're not smashing anyone but we are slowly but surely edging away from the bottom of the pack right now. The times in games where we look most positive are when we are pressing into teams and winning the ball back or forcing errors like booting the ball out of play, regardless of the change from 4-3-3 to 5-3-2 so there's that too, that was part of what we did reasonably well at the start of the season.

I understand Woodgate changing his tactics a little bit to best suit the players but I don't know why he abandoned the idea of playing attacking football after 2 games. It suggests to me that he didn't believe in his philosophy that strongly in the first place. 

We are picking up more points now but it took us an hour of playing absolutely turgid, defensive football again last Friday before we started to be positive. I think we've seen enough football now this season to see where we are strong and where we are weak. 

Theres enough good players in our squad to not only get away from the drop zone but also to play a little bit of football as well. Sitting with 10 men behind the ball and conceding possession to teams at home doesn't actually seem to be working. If Woodgate wants to play football which entertains the fans it's up to him to provide it, we saw the signs in the last 30 minutes on Friday that it can be better. 

Hearing that Neil Warnock is spending time at Rockliffe does concern me though. If we want to move away from the Pulis era then we need to move forwards not backwards with someone like him. 

I said in preseason that action will speak louder than words, at the moment I don't think what we've seen on the pitch has been much different from the Pulis era apart from worse results.