oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

8 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Got into a conversation about "scores that are not likely to be repeated" and apart from the 8-1 against City and the Chelsea 7-2, a few other were thrown in such as beating Arsenal 5-0 then someone said we once beat Bayern Munich 9-1 about 100 years ago...never heard anyone talk about this and I am fairly certain that it would be before German football had a "national" league, but now it is like saying West Auckland beat Juventus 6-1..   

RE: Bayern Munich, it's true:

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/a-history-of-boro-against-german-opposition

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

Ahhh..............so the assassination of Franz Ferdinand wasn't the real reason they shot at my granddad then........I remember him saying that every time we got a really good team, war broke out....at least we now have peace in our time   

• Haha 2

I wonder what they class as key passes, as this comes up every time we have a key pass discussion haha.

Actually is nice to see Wing in 2nd despite what many consider to be a sub par season from him.

12 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Thought this was interesting:

Yeah that's interesting. Just a shame he is so poor at everything else. Needs to go when Bola comes back in the summer hopefully in better shape.

Boro and Birmingham charged by the FA

Middlesbrough FC and Birmingham City FC have been charged with a breach of FA Rule E20. It is alleged that the clubs failed to ensure their officials and/or players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from provocative behaviour during the 87th minute of their EFL Championship fixture on 21 January 2020.

In addition, a Middlesbrough FC coach, Leo Percovich, and Birmingham City FC’s Head of Performance, Sean Rush, have been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3. It is alleged that their behaviour during the 87th minute of the fixture amounts to improper conduct.

Both clubs, Leo Percovich and Sean Rush have until 28 January 2020 to respond to their respective charges.

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/fa-statement-boro-and-birmingham-charged

2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Yeah that's interesting. Just a shame he is so poor at everything else. Needs to go when Bola comes back in the summer hopefully in better shape.

He was one of our better players before we switched to the wing-back system, was our best wide attacking threat and was doing pretty well all-round until he got sent off against Hull. Better than Bola and Dijksteel have done in the same position. He is what he is but I think he deserves a bit of credit for actually working hard to change perception.

• Like 1
Just now, northern boro said:

I wonder how they'll respond to the referee who allowed it to blow over in the first place. Player hits the floor and doesn't move and the referee just turns away and doesn't bother looking back until he's practically by our goal-line.

7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I wonder what they class as key passes, as this comes up every time we have a key pass discussion haha.

Actually is nice to see Wing in 2nd despite what many consider to be a sub par season from him.

I imagine a key pass is one that leads to a chance or a goal.. 

6 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

He was one of our better players before we switched to the wing-back system, was our best wide attacking threat and was doing pretty well all-round until he got sent off against Hull. Better than Bola and Dijksteel have done in the same position. He is what he is but I think he deserves a bit of credit for actually working hard to change perception.

Also seems to be our only player who can put in a half-decent cross from open play. 

12 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

I imagine a key pass is one that leads to a chance or a goal.. 

Which is the thing - I'm sure we've found in the past that it's far more lenient than this.

I'm sure I remember @Changing Times being involved in the discussion so hopefully his good memory can come in handy here and he can let me know if I'm remembering correctly?

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Which is the thing - I'm sure we've found in the past that it's far more lenient than this.

I'm sure I remember @Changing Times being involved in the discussion so hopefully his good memory can come in handy here and he can let me know if I'm remembering correctly?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1597790-the-most-important-new-advanced-soccer-statistics-and-why-they-matter

Measuring Strikers and Playmakers: Key Passes and Big Chances

Opta defines a key pass as “the final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal without scoring.”

In addition to assists, the key pass metric is a telling way of determining which players generate opportunities for teammates.

17 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

That he was amongst the best in a dreadful period isn't saying much. I just think that he smacks of League1 in most of what he does. I'm pleased that he hasn't downed tools and tried to help us in a dark period but I just don't think he is good enough.

6 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Ah yes I remember now, I think the discussion was always about corners counting as key passes.

I suppose if it's every pass before a shot, it will count a lot of passes before our 10 long range efforts into row Z every game too lol.

• Like 1

Stats usually only tell half the story and people can generally find stats to support any argument they want. That's why politicians love a stat. 

From what I've seen this season, Johnson looks ok and in his time here I'd describe him as average at best.