• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

Think it's good news that Woody expects Howson to stay. I'm very unsure about Friend though. Does he still have enough to offer anything on the pitch for us? Surely he is too young to be considered as coaching staff just yet. I'd imagine he still wants to play and not be third or fourth choice.

Ayala is a shame if he leaves but I'd still wich him well and won't hold anything against him if he get's a better contract elsewhere, which is very likely considering he should be entering his best years as a defender. It would definately leave us with a big hole to fill. Gibson and Moukoudi are obvious alternatives but have huge question marks about them and whether we can afford them. 

3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't even think Friend wants to be a coach? I thought he wanted to work in media/journalism after he retires?

Yeah he has some sort of media / journalism degree and said in an interview last year he would like to pick that up when he retires from football. 

20 hours ago, Changing Times said:
21 hours ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Ayala isn't signing I'm led to believe.

Not happy with the terms offered?

Others might have a better knowledge of this than me, but isn't there a clause where players can't be offered a contract on a lower wage terms than the one they're currently on? And so Ayala would need for his current deal to expire before signing a new one, effectively as a free agent?

I'm not saying that's what's happening here, but that may be a factor. It also may be that he wants 3/4 years and we'll only give him 1 or 2.  

Boro’s best rated players according to WhoScored (10 or more apps):

1 Hayden Coulson

2 Daniel Ayala

3 Ryan Shotton

4 Jonny Howson

5 Marcus Tavernier

6 Aynsley Pears

7 Djed Spence

8 Dael Fry

9 Ashley Fletcher

10 Marvin Johnson

Is that perhaps a clause that is only in certain players' contracts? Not that it is always a bastion of knowledge on these things but I know you can offer reduced terms to existing players on FM...

24 minutes ago, Tom said:

Others might have a better knowledge of this than me, but isn't there a clause where players can't be offered a contract on a lower wage terms than the one they're currently on? And so Ayala would need for his current deal to expire before signing a new one, effectively as a free agent?

I'm not saying that's what's happening here, but that may be a factor. It also may be that he wants 3/4 years and we'll only give him 1 or 2.  

I also have a vague memory of this and it coming up around the time Justin Hoyte was coming to the end of his contract.

18 hours ago, TLF10 said:

If as looks likely that Clayton leaves am hoping one of Liddle/Malley/Wearne can breakthrough next season and replace him.

We look strong in terms of numbers in middle of park with Paddy Wing Tav Howson and Saville. Hopefully one of the above 3 youngsters can replace Clayton.

Full backs with Spence & Dijksteel and Coulson & Bola is good too.

Focus will be on two CBs, some attacking midfielders/wide players and a striker to replace Rudy. Or two strikers if Britt goes.

Sorry, transfer window only shut 6 days ago and I am already planning for August. 

Wouldn't be worrying there mate.. club already planning the summer...

36 minutes ago, Will said:

I also have a vague memory of this and it coming up around the time Justin Hoyte was coming to the end of his contract.

Isn't that for under 24s only? If they are offered a contract on equal or better terms but reject it, clubs are entitled to a higher compensation if the player refuses it and signs elsewhere 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

That was always the case in my day, you were entitled to a free transfer if you weren't offered at least the same wage when agreeing a new contract.

18 minutes ago, Kelloe said:

That was always the case in my day, you were entitled to a free transfer if you weren't offered at least the same wage when agreeing a new contract.

Wasn’t that pre “Bosman”? In those days even when a contract ended, the player was tied to a club if they offered a new contract on terms that were as good as the original one, so the club would be entitled to a transfer fee if the player left. If the club offered less, the player was entitled to refuse it and leave on a free.

As said elsewhere above, the restriction only applies to a player under 24 now. Even then I don’t think the club can do anything if the player wants o leave - they are just entitled to compensation if the offer refused is as good as or better than the previous contract.

I can’t see why a player cannot be offered a lower wage in return for a new or longer contract. It is up to the player to accept or refuse.

I think here is the only place I've ever seen the thing that you cant offer a player under contract terms of a lower value. I've never known where its come from, I've never seen any links to a rule of this nature and I have no reason to believe it's true