oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

54 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Have to agree a lot with what you have said here mate (for a change).

Fry is the new whipping boy just like how Downing was. It's always been the same with our fans David Wheater, Parnaby, Cattermole just to a name a few were also harshly treated, yet a cb in Makoudi who has had 2 average games receives no criticism when he gives away rash tackles and scores an own goal.

Our fans seem to have massive expectations when it comes to local lads and get on their back very quickly.

Our 'so' called fans are quick to jump on the back of local boys. Wing gets a lot of criticism as well which i believe is unfair as well.

It’s got nothing to do with them being local. They are just two overrated players. Average championship players. People going on about Fry not being sold for anything less than 20mill, is just ridiculous imo. Wing has been one of the worst players for us this season, I can’t really think of any other player who’s consistently in and around the starting 11 who’s been worse. Britt? 

Neither of them are ‘bad’ players, but I see it opposite to you. I think people cut them slack because they are local lads. Wing has only started getting criticism this last month or so, when he’s been the same all season. On the other hand, as soon as Saville gives the ball away once, people get on his back and call him *** straight away. All opinions at end of day

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Will said:

I think realistically it’d take at least double that for Wolves to sell. Such a shame we don’t have anything in that deal.

Your probably right 2 of the big European hitters compete for Traore,  and you've got a mega bucks bidding war.

3 hours ago, Will said:

I think realistically it’d take at least double that for Wolves to sell. Such a shame we don’t have anything in that deal.

Price tag is apparently more than 100 mil for him now. 

• Wow 1
2 hours ago, BoroSmoggie said:

It’s got nothing to do with them being local. They are just two overrated players. Average championship players. People going on about Fry not being sold for anything less than 20mill, is just ridiculous imo. Wing has been one of the worst players for us this season, I can’t really think of any other player who’s consistently in and around the starting 11 who’s been worse. Britt? 

Neither of them are ‘bad’ players, but I see it opposite to you. I think people cut them slack because they are local lads. Wing has only started getting criticism this last month or so, when he’s been the same all season. On the other hand, as soon as Saville gives the ball away once, people get on his back and call him *** straight away. All opinions at end of day

Saville has been fantastic for months I agree.

It's not about opinions, it's obvious throughout the ground that local lads get absolutely slaughtered by the boro faithful.

Ben Gibson did, and his Dad even stated it to me that local lads don't understand why they get so much criticism from fans. 

Downing was by far our most creative player (only creative player) at one point under Pulis and fans wanted him dropped lol!

Fans call for goal scoring midfielder for years and when we have one in Wing, people want him dropped - I find it absoutely astonishing.

I agree that Fry is a good championship player but that's exactly what we are as a clue so are fans expecting someone better than Fry? Because in all honesty there is fat chance of that happening in our current predicament. He's the best player to come out of Academy in a long time imo

• Like 1
2 hours ago, boro-unger said:

If I win that no 25 shirt number, I'm demanding £20k a week and a £1m signing on bonus!

I wouldn’t be surprised if you could negotiate that with boro. Make sure to convince them you’re a local hardworking lad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

It's not about opinions, it's obvious throughout the ground that local lads get absolutely slaughtered by the boro faithful.

Ben Gibson did, and his Dad even stated it to me that local lads don't understand why they get so much criticism from fans. 

Downing was by far our most creative player (only creative player) at one point under Pulis and fans wanted him dropped lol!

Fans call for goal scoring midfielder for years and when we have one in Wing, people want him dropped - I find it absoutely astonishing.

I agree that Fry is a good championship player but that's exactly what we are as a clue so are fans expecting someone better than Fry? Because in all honesty there is fat chance of that happening in our current predicament. He's the best player to come out of Academy in a long time imo

Agree. Agree on Fry too. I do feel though he is one of these players whose performance has been effected by being  injury prone whether it be long term or niggles. Hard as nails the lad. He was sprinting up ormesby bank couple summer ago. Looked like he was running on a flat gradient. Elite fitness when hes not carrying an injury

I think Fry is a good defender. But equally I think he should have got into a better position to clear the ball before it went to Moukoudi. However, it should have been stopped with someone tracking the overlapping RB to put the cross in and the ball not coming in anyway. 

But, as a coach and a player upon seeing it again, youd want the first man to at least attempt a clearance. I think that's what's getting people. 

15 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

I think Fry is a good defender. But equally I think he should have got into a better position to clear the ball before it went to Moukoudi. However, it should have been stopped with someone tracking the overlapping RB to put the cross in and the ball not coming in anyway. 

But, as a coach and a player upon seeing it again, youd want the first man to at least attempt a clearance. I think that's what's getting people. 

i think when you carry injuries like Fry does, you have to play within yourself sometimes. That means not stretching stupid amounts or flinging yourself into everything. Im just guessing, but he seems the type of lad to play over niggles and pulls

2 hours ago, chipchat said:

Price tag is apparently more than 100 mil for him now. 

I reckon they’d be delighted with over £100m if they can get it but would be happy enough with £70/80m.  That’s still a sizeable profit for a club with the model they have.  There’s enough hype around him that they can hope for the higher amount but it’s still only just over half a season of this form. It was nowhere to be seen last season, and as boring as it is, statistically speaking he’s not as spectacular as what you see on the pitch.  His assist numbers this season will be a big thing though for anyone looking at him 👍

3 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

I agree with you about Fry, but my point was slightly different. I admit he’s definitely good enough for the championship, and not a bad player. My point was if someone came in with a bid of say 13mill + I’d snap there hands off for it. So in that respect when people say ‘nothing less then 20mill’ etc I get surprised that fans think he’s worth that much. Hence why I think he’s overrated. 

Am I happy with Fry being in the team? Yes. Am I wanting the club to sell him? No. But if a substantial bid was put it, would I sell? Absolutely as I think he is easily replaceable for less then half the price.

9 hours ago, BoroSmoggie said:

I agree with you about Fry, but my point was slightly different. I admit he’s definitely good enough for the championship, and not a bad player. My point was if someone came in with a bid of say 13mill + I’d snap there hands off for it. So in that respect when people say ‘nothing less then 20mill’ etc I get surprised that fans think he’s worth that much. Hence why I think he’s overrated. 

Am I happy with Fry being in the team? Yes. Am I wanting the club to sell him? No. But if a substantial bid was put it, would I sell? Absolutely as I think he is easily replaceable for less then half the price.

Yes I agree, anything over £10million for any of our current players then you have to snap their hands off.

I still think it depends on what follows and I'm not confident that what follows is a signing to cover losing Fry. Maybe less prevalent now going into this summer but selling Fry can't just be to pay off big wages, I'd rather sell a high earner for less, it needs to replace him and more.

Bringing in money in general is not on its own a great move. Fry has significant potential, he could play for us for years and despite a substandard season, most of us acknowledge that. So selling him means we immediately lose a player we want in our first team. The act of selling him for a good price doesn't mean we'll replace him adequately.

Take a couple of players who are performing pretty well; Spence and Coulson. If someone came in with £10m+ offers for them, you'd probably accept them. But would you be confident that we'd spend that money well? Would Coulson and/or Spence be adequately replaced whilst giving us a bit extra to spend elsewhere?

The best case would be we could promote from within to replace them. So £20m in the bank and we now have Bola and Dijksteel as our full backs. Would anyone be happy with that? I suspect not right now and yet Bola and Dijksteel are also players we've signed this season to improve our full back slots, so even with money to spend would we just sign another Bola and Dijksteel?

I realise this is a bit idealist. You can't just keep good players because you're not confident you can replace them and have money to spare, building up a pot to improve the rest of the squad. But judging our recruitment team for what it is and has accomplished does make me hesitant to just say "£15m is a good deal for Fry".

Coulson and Spence are easily replaceable, theY have only made a handful of appearances for us and blown hot and cold.
If Fry wanted to leave, he too could be replaced. CB is probably the easiest position to fill, it’s much more difficult to sign effective forward players at this level and with our financial constraints. 

• Like 1