oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

9 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I can't tell if you're ironic but yes I'd expect we did. We sold a player for less than we paid to a team in the top spanish league. I'd expect us to demand a clause in the event that he should do well so we could recoup some more money. Leganes also got an interntational player for a price they could afford. That said Leganes cuold easily have refused knowing that we were desperate to get rid of him and couldn't afford to keep him. We weren't exactly in the best position.

Of course I was being ironic, sorry you didn’t get that. 

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I can't tell if you're ironic but yes I'd expect we did. We sold a player for less than we paid to a team in the top spanish league. I'd expect us to demand a clause in the event that he should do well so we could recoup some more money. Leganes also got an interntational player for a price they could afford. That said Leganes cuold easily have refused knowing that we were desperate to get rid of him and couldn't afford to keep him. We weren't exactly in the best position.

I could be wrong but I doubt we put any kind of clause in there. I think Pulis made it clear a long time ago he wanted him gone under any circumstances and Braithwaite was of a similar frame of mind.

2 minutes ago, BoroAbroad said:

I could be wrong but I doubt we put any kind of clause in there. I think Pulis made it clear a long time ago he wanted him gone under any circumstances and Braithwaite was of a similar frame of mind.

Pulis has got nothing to do with the financial side of that sale. He wasn't even at the club when  we sold him. I know lots of fans like to brand the club as inexperienced negotiators who doesn't seem to know that various sell on clauses exists or blatantly refuse to insert them in deals when we sell. Hell, we even have people ridiculing the club for not inserting a clause in the Traore sale. I don't doubt that the club try to insert those kinds of clauses in most sales, but sometimes circumstances don't allow that. Leganes had us by the balls so it might not even have been an alternative for Boro, unless we wanted to risk the deal falling through. While we have an appaling history of buying players I think we've shown that we are fairly good when it comes to actually selling players.

7 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Pulis has got nothing to do with the financial side of that sale. He wasn't even at the club when  we sold him. I know lots of fans like to brand the club as inexperienced negotiators who doesn't seem to know that various sell on clauses exists or blatantly refuse to insert them in deals when we sell. Hell, we even have people ridiculing the club for not inserting a clause in the Traore sale. I don't doubt that the club try to insert those kinds of clauses in most sales, but sometimes circumstances don't allow that. Leganes had us by the balls so it might not even have been an alternative for Boro, unless we wanted to risk the deal falling through. While we have an appaling history of buying players I think we've shown that we are fairly good when it comes to actually selling players.

Fair point. I know Pulis wasnt around when the sale went through. Though I do think he had a lot to do with MB's attitude towards the club prior to the sale.
But yes. In hindsight. I agree that we have been fairly astute when selling. Much more than we have when buying.

I think our yearly accounts are out this week or next. Covers period up to June 2019. It should include sales of Bamford Adama Gibson and also the removal of Downings salary. Dont think it includes sale of Braithwite and Flint though.

What it will show is the full work of Pulis who regularly referred to financial balancing he was doing during last season.

3 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I think our yearly accounts are out this week or next. Covers period up to June 2019. It should include sales of Bamford Adama Gibson and also the removal of Downings salary. Dont think it includes sale of Braithwite and Flint though.

What it will show is the full work of Pulis who regularly referred to financial balancing he was doing during last season.

We will have to get our resident expert @DanFromDownSouth on to this so he can simplify it into plain English for the rest of us.

Thanks in advance Dan 👍

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Downings salary will be in those accounts as he was here last season.

How did monk not have us top of the league with braithwaite, bamford/britt and adama as a front 3? Bonkers how poorly we did then with the squad we had, in my opinion he done an even worse job that woody is doing given the resources available.

7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

How did monk not have us top of the league with braithwaite, bamford/britt and adama as a front 3? Bonkers how poorly we did then with the squad we had, in my opinion he done an even worse job that woody is doing given the resources available.

Steady on there!

Monk actually has a clue how to manage.

But I agree we should have been "smashing the league" with the squad we had then.

1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

Steady on there!

But I agree we should have been "smashing the league" with the squad we had then.

He didn't really here. The tactics were all out of sorts and we got hammered down the wings. He had no idea how to fit his players into the gameplan (if he had one). He wanted ultra attacking full backs without backup in a 4-3-3. If only he had played Braithwaite-Bamford-Traore as a front three and spent the Britt fee on a couple of good full backs.

• Like 1

Well he couldn't get anything out of Adama at all. He was too busy trying to get players to 'think for themselves' and take the responsibility of management away from himself to even try to deal with anyone like Traore. Traore was a hindrance on us under Monk so it's no surprise he never made the team. But yes, he had all the resources and all the talent he wanted at his disposal and ultimately put out a bang average side. As much as I've liked Marvin Johnson this season, the fact he ended up here speaks more about Monk's lack of adherence to his own beliefs than anything. He got everything he wanted and delivered ultimately very little. Woodgate has inherited an unbalanced side with the same problems it had under Pulis and the only player we've signed that has actually come close to solving the inherent issues is Patrick Roberts, who's had no more than a few games.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Steady on there!

Would like to know your evidence for this statement on the basis of his time here! The only decent performance I remember us putting in under him was in preseason!

39 minutes ago, Borodane said:

He didn't really here. The tactics were all out of sorts and we got hammered down the wings. He had no idea how to fit his players into the gameplan (if he had one). He wanted ultra attacking full backs without backup in a 4-3-3. If only he had played Braithwaite-Bamford-Traore as a front three and spent the Britt fee on a couple of good full backs.

He spent 5mil on the wrong type of full back! Also spent money on shotton who could have played there but never got a game under monk. As much as woodgate has failed to impress there is just no argument in my head for monk being a better manager for us than woody.

• Like 3

Monk has achieved nothing as a manager, and his implosion with Leeds was just as bad as what Pulis managed here.

If they give a full points deduction, there's a very real chance he could take Sheffield Wednesday down if he's not sacked first.