• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

In a team 19th in the table, where he is top scorer.

That doesn't really make it any less bizarre. Negredo managed 9 for us, I wouldn't expect him to have signed for Chelsea on the back of that in the same season.

I get it's because he was the cheapest option available to them, but it's a ridiculous situation.

18 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'd take playing football, not sitting on the bench (if he can even manage that when Dembele gets back).

Which won't be until next season.  Braithwaite gets 14 odd games with Barcelona playing alongside Messi.  Or he can play the same with Leganes and get relegated. Tough choice. 

9 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

That doesn't really make it any less bizarre. Negredo managed 9 for us, I wouldn't expect him to have signed for Chelsea on the back of that in the same season.

I get it's because he was the cheapest option available to them, but it's a ridiculous situation.

I mean, there would have been cheaper options. I suspect he was around the top of a list that fit a budget and quality level demanded by Barca. Of course, I very much doubt they'd have signed him permanently in a regular transfer window. But these are unique circumstances, where they will have wanted to make sure they brought in some level of quality, someone who is going to be able to deliver some goals and work in a Barca team but without breaking the bank as they still have better players to come back. There's a difference between signing someone just for the sake of an extra body and what they've done with Braithwaite, though.

Ignoring the fact Negredo was on loan and whether or not the FA would allow it, if Chelsea were in this situation when we were in the Prem, they may well have signed Negredo because he was playing well for us in a team bound for relegation.

6 minutes ago, macapes said:

Which won't be until next season.  Braithwaite gets 14 odd games with Barcelona playing alongside Messi.  Or he can play the same with Leganes and get relegated. Tough choice. 

That wasn't the comparison you raised though, was it? You were comparing next season, when the injured player/s are back and he's 2nd/3rd choice at Barca vs. playing in a Pulis team. If it's comparing playing at Barca vs. playing at Leganes then obviously, it's a no-brainer.

31 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Ings and Crouch were banging them in.

Braithwaite has managed 6.

I still thought they were odd signings at the time, Liverpool signed that other big striker who’s name escapes me, he was a mad Liverpool fan at the end of his career, what was his name?

11 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I still thought they were odd signings at the time, Liverpool signed that other big striker who’s name escapes me, he was a mad Liverpool fan at the end of his career, what was his name?

Rickie Lambert, mate.

Also re-signed Robbie Fowler.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DurhamRed said:

4 year deal with a €300 release clause hats of to the lad plus we now get a few million.  Also we can say to potential signings now if you come here and perform you could potentially get a move to Barcelona.

€300? Boro can afford that, maybe we should bring him back!

Got to feel sorry for Leganes in this deal. Surely Barca shouldn't be able to just activate a buy-out clause with this "emergency" signing. It all but dooms Leganes to relegation and they're not even allowed to sign a replacement...

• Like 5
1 hour ago, macapes said:

Barca's hands are somewhat tied on who they can sign under this "emergency"; has to be from the Spanish league, they need someone who can play front left and it needs to have a buyout of a "reasonable" level, as no club is going to take a cut price rate.

It still appears he was made promises when he signed that we went back on and combined with Pulis' excellent man management skills, what happened, happened.  

Good luck to the bloke, I'd take second/third string Barca over playing out of position for Pulis in the Championship any day.

What promises did we go back on? 

I didn't actually realise what the circumstances where that have allowed this transfer to happen, I feel sorry for Leganes.

After listening to the situation being discussed on Talksport it sounds like Braithwaite was signed because they couldn't really bring anyone else in outside of the window. I dont expect him to play much football once they have everyone fit. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

What promises did we go back on? 

I didn't actually realise what the circumstances where that have allowed this transfer to happen, I feel sorry for Leganes.

After listening to the situation being discussed on Talksport it sounds like Braithwaite was signed because they couldn't really bring anyone else in outside of the window. I dont expect him to play much football once they have everyone fit. 

Yep seems like the wrong place a the wrong time, think they lined up 3 strikers with affordable buyout clauses and chose Braithwaite. Basically Barca's bad management and injury misfortune is now just some other teams problem...