oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

10 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

I thought we were pretty screwed needing 4 wins from 11 before that interview after reading it I think we're completely screwed he's so deep into this 20% win percentage 'project' he's almost accepting Boro going to League 1 to further the project.

Not that I think we will again, but we got 6 wins in 9 earlier in the season, so 4 in 11 is far from impossible.

That run included the hammering by Leeds and capitulation to Swansea, so it wasn't just because we were in the purple patch 

Especially when we're playing teams in almost as bad form as us.

As bad as the defeats to Barnsley, Luton and draw with Wigan was, they were some of the form sides in the Championship and have carried on with good results after playing us.

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Not once does Gibson say what the problem is. 
Not once does he say how he’s going to fix it. 

The thing that annoys me the most is that not once is he asked what the problem is that we've learnt from/are going to learn from. That's not even a case of rocking the boat, that's just basic journalistic endeavour and curiosity. The fact something like that hasn't been asked shows for certain that this is a glorified club PR piece. Maybe Bevington wasn't completely removed from the club 🤔

• Like 4
Just now, TeaCider24 said:

Not that I think we will again, but we got 6 wins in 9 earlier in the season, so 4 in 11 is far from impossible.

Especially when we're playing teams in almost as bad form as us.

As bas as the defeats to Barnsley, Luton and draw with Wigan was, they were some of the form sides in the Championship and have carried on with good results after playing us.

We look absolutely useless can barely get a shot on goal have some tough games in the 11 and the McNairs/Fletchers are off form at the worst time it's not impossible but besides that December patch of wins we've gone large spells of this season in winless ruts I think we're in deep, deep trouble.

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

It's because he is saying nothing. He's not saying anything that is calming my nerves. Nothing to suggest that anything is going to change behind the scenes. Says we've made mistakes but realistically nothing will change behind the scenes. I'm not giving much credit to Gibson but I'm more angry at the Gazettes "reporting".

Well they can only report what they're told I suppose.

Though it would have been nice if it had been followed by an analytical piece, attempting to interpret some actual meaning from the statement. Then again, it either would have been as meaningless as the statement itself, or someone on the Gazette staff may have been looking for a new job (if some of the rumours are true).

2 hours ago, Borodane said:

It's because he is saying nothing. He's not saying anything that is calming my nerves. Nothing to suggest that anything is going to change behind the scenes. Says we've made mistakes but realistically nothing will change behind the scenes. I'm not giving much credit to Gibson but I'm more angry at the Gazettes "reporting".

Exactly. He's become a total politician...an expert in talking a lot while saying nothing.

He should become an MP!

7 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

We look absolutely useless can barely get a shot on goal have some tough games in the 11 and the McNairs/Fletchers are off form at the worst time it's not impossible but besides that December patch of wins we've gone large spells of this season in winless ruts I think we're in deep, deep trouble.

I agree, I think we're going down, but it wouldn't take that many results to keep us up.

I think Gibson is accepting of us going into L1 and is trying to prepare us for it. The entire season has been mismanaged, from trying to assemble a decent back room staff and ending up with Woodgate’s mates and a last minute former GK. To selling Flint without telling him he was for sale. To having a bunch of first team players on the last year of their contract and making it clear we won’t be renewing or those we do want (Ayala and Howson) will have to accept a massive pay cut to play for the mighty Boro. 
How did he honestly think it would work this year in those circumstances? He’s still saying we will be getting rid of the high earners but they are committed to keeping us up! Like hell they are and who blames them?! 
We will go down and stay down for a good few years. I would imagine 95% of fans reading that article will feel completely disillusioned at Gibson and the club. Woodgate isn’t popular, what on earth does Gibson see in him? 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

I think Gibson is accepting of us going into L1 and is trying to prepare us for it. The entire season has been mismanaged, from trying to assemble a decent back room staff and ending up with Woodgate’s mates and a last minute former GK. To selling Flint without telling him he was for sale. To having a bunch of first team players on the last year of their contract and making it clear we won’t be renewing or those we do want (Ayala and Howson) will have to accept a massive pay cut to play for the mighty Boro. 
How did he honestly think it would work this year in those circumstances? He’s still saying we will be getting rid of the high earners but they are committed to keeping us up! Like hell they are and who blames them?! 
We will go down and stay down for a good few years. I would imagine 95% of fans reading that article will feel completely disillusioned at Gibson and the club. Woodgate isn’t popular, what on earth does Gibson see in him? 

He's cheap and local. And willing to be the bag man as Gibson mismanages the club into the third tier of English football, where Academy players and lower-league wannabees will play to a largely empty stadium.

What a f**king waste of an incredible club's potential. Never mind the new Sunderland, we'll be the new Bradford at this rate.

• Like 1

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/uk-sports/2017/03/19/chairman-gibson-steve-agnew-can-be-glue-to-unify-middlesbrough/

Gibson came out and said something similar when Karanka left and Agnew took the job on. 

Now I'm praying with all I've got that Gibson is doing this to give them a confidence boost.

However, if he wants to appoint Woodgate long term then he hasnt learnt from his mistakes has he? We've essentially come full circle to not giving an experienced manager a position when we could have escaped relegation. 

1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

I know exactly who the Gazette reporter is and it is not AV and I will not be disclosing the info unless he turns up for a oneBoro meet up!

I know who it is too, I was quite shocked actually lol 

54 minutes ago, Will said:

The thing that annoys me the most is that not once is he asked what the problem is that we've learnt from/are going to learn from. That's not even a case of rocking the boat, that's just basic journalistic endeavour and curiosity. The fact something like that hasn't been asked shows for certain that this is a glorified club PR piece. Maybe Bevington wasn't completely removed from the club 🤔

In fairness, I was busy eating my tea when he rang and I was always told not to speak with my mouth full.  

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I never said I liked what he said, but he's come out and answered the looming questions.

That it seems that we'll have Woodgate next season, even if he takes us down, worries me greatly, but he's ended the speculation and hope that Woodgate would be ousted before it's too late.

It's also given an indication that he has no intention of selling up any time soon, despite more and more fans speculating that he might.

The problem he might find now is that his own reputation isn't high enough to quell any disenchantment.  If anything it might stoke it up a bit more.  I think he answered one looming question regarding Woodgate.  I'm not sure there was a serious question about him selling the club, I think that is simply what some people were hoping might happen but there was no reason to believe that it would. 

It's a fairly glib piece when it comes down to it but I wonder if it opens the door for a broader article after the season is finished where he might be prepared to go into some detail about the mistakes he mentions.  Saying we've got things wrong but it's ok because we know what they are and we're going to put it right doesn't really mean a great deal to me.  Neither does his show of faith in Woodgate to be honest.

I like that you put that it's ended the hope that Woodgate would be ousted.  A sad state of affairs really but certainly true 👍

5 hours ago, Will said:

I fear that the mistakes Gibson claims to have learned from aren't the same mistakes that I saw the club make, and continue to make. It's all well and good coming out and wittering on about learning from mistakes but we have shown literally no evidence that we actually have learned from them. 

How can you even say that when we signed Ravel Morrison just a few weeks ago 🤭