oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

7 minutes ago, Ayresome365 said:

Average wage in League 1 is 8k a week? Not a chance. Those figures would be far more reflective on the Championship than L1.

I agree. I think Gillingham were involved in a race discrimination case a few years back where they tried to rip up a black players contract. He had been offered £2k per week, which he said was generous for that level. 

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

With hindsight we would have been better keeping AK but there were other forces at play within the club that made his position almost untenable. The main reason was that he knew more about football than our Chairman and having an opinion on things didn't fit in with the job description and so the Tee Tee Teessiders won the day and we are still counting the cost and it isn't over yet!

Aye, the supporters wanted him gone.

43 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

With hindsight we would have been better keeping AK but there were other forces at play within the club that made his position almost untenable. The main reason was that he knew more about football than our Chairman and having an opinion on things didn't fit in with the job description and so the Tee Tee Teessiders won the day and we are still counting the cost and it isn't over yet!

I would imagine AK's wife would no more about football than our chairman it wouldn't take much.

To be honest AK needed to go or at least needed time out of the game. I seem to remember some of his interviews at the time certainly didnt endear himself to anyone from the players, to the fans and to the club.

That said he wasnt backed in January albeit his alleged targets i dont think were interested in joining us ie Jese and Bojan. There were several long term mistakes we made after January that season. We should have either backed or let go of Karanka in January. Agnew should never have been the option for longer than being caretaker manager for a couple of games whilst we awaited a new manager to come in.

Edited by smogsterking the Inspirati
  • Like 4

Karanka's mistake was having 3 targets, 2 in the Premier League, one who was at a relegation rival, one at Everton, and the third target was at PSG and was vocal in the media about wanting to go back to his hometown club.

Despite it being obvious that none of them would be coming, we never once seemed to move on to achievable targets.

• Like 1

When we got promoted I felt the majority of fans were definitely behind Karanka, but his inability/stubbornness to change from the style of football we were playing in the PL when it clearly wasn't working ultimately cost him his job. 

• Like 2

Going by the latest experimental361 E-ratings, its looking like it is down to between us and Charlton for the final drop spot. Though these are historical in nature, they wont take into account sudden dips of form due to player sales (eg Hull, hopefully) so its not all settled yet. Still though, Saturday is going to be massive. 

image.thumb.png.731ca72ec8fb8445e8ecb123d066e180.png
https://experimental361.com/2020/03/04/e-ratings-update-championship-4-mar-2020/

I don't buy that Wigan have a nearly 90% chance of safety when they've spent the majority of the season in the relegation zone, barring a recent good run of form, are currently only 2 points from safety and only we have scored fewer goals than them.

• Like 4

It's based on expected outcomes of individual games remaining, with basically the expected goals for and against of the teams compared and an outcome derived. So Wigan have actually been underperforming a lot this season in terms of their results vs expected results, the model is a calculation of these ratings and like any model can be wrong. Its been fairly accurate the last few years though. Here are the team attack and defence ratings in the division. Its a very interesting site I think. 

https://experimental361.com/2020/02/09/scatter-graphics-championship-9-feb-2020/

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Ayresome365 said:

Average wage in League 1 is 8k a week? Not a chance. Those figures would be far more reflective on the Championship than L1.

I dunno...looking at the charts Ayresome7 posted, the Championship average seems to be around the £15k mark.

There was a section wanted him out and I think that was partly down to Gibbo raising expectations to a silly level. 

He should have said we will try and stay up but it will be tough not bullshit about Europe.  We had been out of the top flight for along time and a squad short on premier league experience. 

But this is the shortermism that has plagued boro in recent years.

• Like 2

karankanesia

noun

A partial or total loss of memory of the activities of Aitor Karanka. 

A complete inability to remember the entirety of what happened whilst Aitor Karanka was manager.

"The poor lambs are suffering from Karankanesia."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

After the rubble of the January transfer window cleared, such as our failed attempt to bring in some flair attackers like Jesse, Delofeu, Bojan etc and also Gaston Ramirez essentially giving up playing for Karanka, it was clear that the option was to either accept relegation with Karanka in charge until the end of the season - and then give him another season in the Championship like Dyche at Burnley - or to sack him in an attempt to keep in the Premier League. So when we sacked Karanka I seen it as a sign of ambition by Gibson that we were seemingly doing everything we could to try to keep within the Premier League, and with names like Gud Hiddink linked with us, I could piece together some sort of positive logic within the decision. I may be completely wrong but I think most fans felt that way. The potential certainly was there if we had someone like Hiddink if he could get Ramirez performing again and harnessed Traore's phenomenal potential a few seasons before he became one of the World's best wingers. It's a "what if" scenario now so we're never going to know.

One thing that we certainly do now know, however, is that Steve Agnew certainly wasn't the man for the job and was merely a cheap option that would allow Gibson and co to start their new revolution of ripping apart the framework that Karanka had slowly evolved over 3 season's here, which was good enough to get us promoted to the Premier League.  Another thing that I now know is that Gibson sacking Karanka was not due to ambition of wanting to avoid relegation from the Premier League. If he had genuine ambition then there's absolutely no way that he would tolerate Woodgate's continued underachievement which has us teetering on the edge of League One. That leaves the glaringly obvious reason being that Gibson was simply wanting to get his control back. He grew sick of Karanka and Ortra challenging him as they felt, rightly, that they knew more about football than Gibson and Gill.

Ever since Gibson's revolution took hold post Karanka, everything has fallen apart from there with our "football is a simple game, complicated by fools" mentality. I've heard Gibson and Woodgate quote that dinosaur mentality. That along with how we have struggled to keep with modern football, we're simply still run like a 1990's club with recruitment in particular. If you contrast that with the rest of modern football, it's little wonder why we're so far behind smaller clubs like Brentford who are a forward thinking club that welcomes a Director of Football and uses data incredibly effectively. I read this interesting short article today about how data has been used by Sevilla FC to refine scouting data, analysing market value and also to prevent injuries: https://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/sevilla-fc-the-sporting-advantage-of-data/. The way we shun modern football is terrifying. We're still stuck in the 1990's regularly getting out performed by smaller clubs who have embraced modern football practices. I think Gibson must rate his and his cronies opinion's too highly to trust data/statistics over their opinions. If I was him I wouldn't enjoy looking at statistics either as they would only show how terrible Gibson and his cronies decision's have been for the majority of the past decade.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1