oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

6 minutes ago, p_mards said:

After the rubble of the January transfer window cleared, such as our failed attempt to bring in some flair attackers like Jesse, Delofeu, Bojan etc and also Gaston Ramirez essentially giving up playing for Karanka, it was clear that the option was to either accept relegation with Karanka in charge until the end of the season - and then give him another season in the Championship like Dyche at Burnley - or to sack him in an attempt to keep in the Premier League. So when we sacked Karanka I seen it as a sign of ambition by Gibson that we were seemingly doing everything we could to try to keep within the Premier League, and with names like Gud Hiddink linked with us, I could piece together some sort of positive logic within the decision. I may be completely wrong but I think most fans felt that way. The potential certainly was there if we had someone like Hiddink if he could get Ramirez performing again and harnessed Traore's phenomenal potential a few seasons before he became one of the World's best wingers. It's a "what if" scenario now so we're never going to know.

One thing that we certainly do now know, however, is that Steve Agnew certainly wasn't the man for the job and was merely a cheap option that would allow Gibson and co to start their new revolution of ripping apart the framework that Karanka had slowly evolved over 3 season's here, which was good enough to get us promoted to the Premier League.  Another thing that I now know is that Gibson sacking Karanka was not due to ambition of wanting to avoid relegation from the Premier League. If he had genuine ambition then there's absolutely no way that he would tolerate Woodgate's continued underachievement which has us teetering on the edge of League One. That leaves the glaringly obvious reason being that Gibson was simply wanting to get his control back. He grew sick of Karanka and Ortra challenging him as they felt, rightly, that they knew more about football than Gibson and Gill.

Ever since Gibson's revolution took hold post Karanka, everything has fallen apart from there with our "football is a simple game, complicated by fools" mentality. I've heard Gibson and Woodgate quote that dinosaur mentality. That along with how we have struggled to keep with modern football, we're simply still run like a 1990's club with recruitment in particular. If you contrast that with the rest of modern football, it's little wonder why we're so far behind smaller clubs like Brentford who are a forward thinking club that welcomes a Director of Football and uses data incredibly effectively. I read this short article today about how data has been used by Sevilla FC to refine scouting data, analysing market value and also to prevent injuries: https://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/sevilla-fc-the-sporting-advantage-of-data/. The way we shun modern football is terrifying. We're still stuck in the 1990's regularly getting out performed by smaller clubs who have embraced modern football practices. I think Gibson must rate his and his cronies opinion's too highly to trust data/statistics over their opinions. If I was him I wouldn't enjoy looking at statistics either as they would only show how terrible Gibson and his cronies decision's have been for the majority of the past decade.

Excellent appraisal and one I fully concur with. I wanted Karanka gone at the time because I was panicking about relegation and felt that with a bit more creative intent we could nick enough points to survive. I was horribly wrong and happy to admit it now with hindsight. Had I known that the alternative to Karanka was going to be Agnew I would have screamed NOOOOOOOO from the rooftops and kept Karanka. Stupid me never thought for a second that our Chairman would actually go for a downgrade on the existing Manager in the Premiership.

I wanted Pulis out this time last years as well but once again I never thought that we would end up with an incompetent in charge. I foolishly believed that after Southgate, Gibson would have learned his lesson but clearly not. Going back to Karanka the dressing room unrest seemingly emanated from local untouchables and I now suspect that there may have been a lot more to it and going on beneath the surface even to the point of it being orchestrated. Karanka and Orta clearly knew what they were doing and over time would have built a solid football club probably after yo-yo'ing from the Premiership like Burnley. Problem was that Karanka and Orta wouldn't back down or respect those that hadn't a clue what they were doing. What has evolved since has proven that in abundance with this season taking it to new depths.

• Like 4
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Excellent appraisal and one I fully concur with. I wanted Karanka gone at the time because I was panicking about relegation and felt that with a bit more creative intent we could nick enough points to survive. I was horribly wrong and happy to admit it now with hindsight. Had I known that the alternative to Karanka was going to be Agnew I would have screamed NOOOOOOOO from the rooftops and kept Karanka. Stupid me never thought for a second that our Chairman would actually go for a downgrade on the existing Manager in the Premiership.

I wanted Pulis out this time last years as well but once again I never thought that we would end up with an incompetent in charge. I foolishly believed that after Southgate, Gibson would have learned his lesson but clearly not. Going back to Karanka the dressing room unrest seemingly emanated from local untouchables and I now suspect that there may have been a lot more to it and going on beneath the surface even to the point of it being orchestrated. Karanka and Orta clearly knew what they were doing and over time would have built a solid football club probably after yo-yo'ing from the Premiership like Burnley. Problem was that Karanka and Orta wouldn't back down or respect those that hadn't a clue what they were doing. What has evolved since has proven that in abundance with this season taking it to new depths.

I think what is being overlooked here with Karanka is that he was clearly working his ticket and had been for some time. To me it was a clear case of wanting to be sacked and some of his public utterances essentially 'encouraged' Steve Gibson to do just that. He spoke of his frustration with transfer targets; "I gave them my list one and a half months ago and here we are one week to go and nothing" or words to that effect. He fell out with the fans, players, coaches, the medical staff, the Chief Exec. and finally the Chairman. Who can forget is indignant reaction to the crowd chanting 'attack, attack, attack' when 2-1 down at home to West Ham. The fans wanted a point out of the game while he didn't want to concede another and lose 3-1. When he was finally let go, Gibson commented that 'it had come as a relief to Karanka'. He was shot. My only frustration is that it wasn't done earlier and with a plan in place which did not include promoting Steve Agnew.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, PsychFur said:

I think what is being overlooked here with Karanka is that he was clearly working his ticket and had been for some time. To me it was a clear case of wanting to be sacked and some of his public utterances essentially 'encouraged' Steve Gibson to do just that. He spoke of his frustration with transfer targets; "I gave them my list one and a half months ago and here we are one week to go and nothing" or words to that effect. He fell out with the fans, players, coaches, the medical staff, the Chief Exec. and finally the Chairman. Who can forget is indignant reaction to the crowd chanting 'attack, attack, attack' when 2-1 down at home to West Ham. The fans wanted a point out of the game while he didn't want to concede another and lose 3-1. When he was finally let go, Gibson commented that 'it had come as a relief to Karanka'. He was shot. My only frustration is that it wasn't done earlier and with a plan in place which did not include promoting Steve Agnew.

I was one of the crowd shouting attack, attack, attack, his tactics frustrated the life out of me. That January Transfer window was a farce, a joke, an abject disgrace. Guedioura, Gestede and an untried in the Premiership Bamford were the solutions given to him to address our survival problem! No wonder he had an apoplectic fit. Guedioura was a last second desperate signing that addressed nothing and added even less. Gestede had just gone through a court case with a fan and for that alone shouldn't have been considered let alone the fact that he was absolute garbage. Bamford made some sense as a longer term investment but Karanka needed immediate impact not someone with further potential. No wonder he was shot, MFC effectively stabbed him in the back but then to have Agnew as the contingency plan just highlights the incompetence he was surrounded with and we have been stuck with ever since.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, northern boro said:

The fair-play handshake between players and match officials will not take place in the football league from this weekend.

Well if that doesn't work then nothing will 🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
47 minutes ago, northern boro said:

The fair-play handshake between players and match officials will not take place in the football league from this weekend.

Well it was an irrelevant gesture, as everyone, barring boro, is a cheating *** 

2 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Does that mean cheating is allowed 

It'll mean players wasting time by rolling around on the floor and pretending they've got coronavirus

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

It'll mean players wasting time by rolling around on the floor and pretending they've got coronavirus

I expect all players to carry tissues on the field of play, no more gibbing on the floor. 

On 3/4/2020 at 7:57 AM, BoroAbroad said:

Interesting. Agree that this could very well be a very decisive weekend. It is certainly a must win game for us.

Best scenario.

Charlton v Boro.... Away win

Wigan v Luton.... Draw/Away win

Stoke v Hull.... Draw

Leeds V Huddersfield..... (Hate to say it.) Home win.

Barnsley V Cardiff..... Away win

Also. It would be better for us to see Birmingham beat Reading as I am not sure they are completly out of the mix yet.

I was close. Maybe I should do the pools.. Though I am not sure if they exist anymore. 🤔

I think it's a bit strange that MFC keep pushing this "Boro Supporters Club 2020" as an independent fan group when it's clearly something the club has had a hand in organising.

I'm sure there's nothing sinister about it, mind, just find it odd.