oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

32 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Makes sense, really. Would be odd to sack off a season with so much already invested for one that hasn't started.

Players out of contract seems to be the issue though. 

could they just change rules to say players moving club  can’t play for their new club until the 20/21 season starts. Out of contract players could then move club, but would not be able to play. This would restrict clubs taking on new players - as they would have to pay them, but would not infringe players rights as free agents as they could move and be paid if the signing club was willing to fork out the wages. Be a beggar for such as us though, given the number of contracts that are up at end of this season.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Makes sense, really. Would be odd to sack off a season with so much already invested for one that hasn't started.

Players out of contract seems to be the issue though. 

We could just let them go and play without them, the club have been desperate to offload most of the buggers for the last 2 seasons!

What if players contracts could expire or be extended as normal and if they had played 75%+ of the teams league games then they can register a new player to replace them in the squad for the remainder of the season, otherwise new players cant be registered until the following season. Same goes for outgoing players purchased by another team

Sorry if it has been mentioned.

We signed Sunderland left back Williams Kokolo (brilliant surname). He was to be released at end of season by them but we got him on a 2yr deal to join u23s. Reports saying Bayern, Napoli and West Ham wanter him on trial. He 19yrs of age. Turns 20 in June.

We are also in talks to tie down 16yr old Callum Kavanagh to a pro deal. As is widely known he the son of ex boro player, Graham. Reports have Chelsea and Arsenal interested in him.

2 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Sorry if it has been mentioned.

We signed Sunderland left back Williams Kokolo (brilliant surname). He was to be released at end of season by them but we got him on a 2yr deal to join u23s. Reports saying Bayern, Napoli and West Ham wanter him on trial. 

It seems strange that Sunderland were going to release him, but three top league clubs wanted him on trial. I suppose trials don’t always mean a contract offer, but still, if it’s true they must all see potential in him that Sunderland don’t see. Either that or there are other issues meaning Sunderland just want rid

1 hour ago, ScarBoro said:

It seems strange that Sunderland were going to release him, but three top league clubs wanted him on trial. I suppose trials don’t always mean a contract offer, but still, if it’s true they must all see potential in him that Sunderland don’t see. Either that or there are other issues meaning Sunderland just want rid

Totally agree. All seems a bit odd. I know Sunderland are incompetent but are they not seeing something two of leading teams in Europe do see? Or maybe like you said he might have other issues. Either way left back spot at our club up for grabs given JW said Coulson a left winger. Friends injuries and Bola yet to convince. So if he knuckles down a path could open

Hello everyone,

hope you are all keeping well.

I stole this idea fro the Gazette but thought be a good way to pass the time in the absence of any football and the boredom we might be feeling.

Your all time Boro 11 but you can only pick 1 player from each nation. I will go first

Randolph

Xavier, Festa, Southgate, Ziege

Geremi Boateng Mendieta

Juninho

Yak Viduka

Those to miss out who had a great shout of being in if I had not chosen a fellow countryman

Schwarzer, Mills, Young, Ugo (RIP big man), Woodgate, Huth, Zenden, Emerson, Downing and JFH. Boksic I also really wanted in but feel him and Viduka would be too similar (both incredibly elegant footballers) so went with Yak and Viduka. Them two should get us 30 goals between them

• Like 1

I'm going based on what I seen and I got into it late, so Juninho has to miss out:

Randolph
Fabio Southgate Pogatetz Queudrue
Mendieta Arca Ramirez
Tuncay
Viduka Hasselbaink

This was hard! I did have Yak in for JFH to fit in Boateng but Hasselbaink is too good to keep out, so Boateng out, Fabio in, Yak out, JFH in. It is very hard to consider anyone other than Luke Young as our best right-back since I started watching us, too. But I couldn't keep my captain Southgate out.

Skippy

Nsue, Festa, Ayala, Ziege

Geremi Boateng

Hendrie      Juninho      Mannion                           

Rav

my team, maybe not the best 11, but the best team i could come up with given the constraints . Had to ditch Southgate to get Mannion  in. 

Edited by estonpidge

It’s just a thought but with the current situation being on and players and their families unwilling or unable to to have the flexibility to move around it might be an opportunity for the club to think about the young local talent and tie them up with contracts instead of them being lured to other ones.

These don’t have to be long ones or expensive ones either just maybe 18 month-2 year ones with clauses that give freedoms to all parties. Say the club tie up 60% of the top young talent now and then once freedoms to train allowed again we give em 6 months to show the club what they made of. I know the club does have scouts out all the time but atm I’m guessing that with competition we only really get a chance to evaluate maybe 30-40% and often it’s the grafters of the future that we miss out on. It takes time to get everything back up n running and with talk of still trying to finish off the current season I feel that between things starting back up properly and the go ahead to start returning to training the club could cast its eye and evaluate things in an atmosphere where local parents will be more enclined to accept a short term but local offer rather than a mid long term one at a bigger but further away club.

57 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm going based on what I seen and I got into it late, so Juninho has to miss out:

Randolph
Fabio Southgate Pogatetz Queudrue
Mendieta Arca Ramirez
Tuncay
Viduka Hasselbaink

This was hard! I did have Yak in for JFH to fit in Boateng but Hasselbaink is too good to keep out, so Boateng out, Fabio in, Yak out, JFH in. It is very hard to consider anyone other than Luke Young as our best right-back since I started watching us, too. But I couldn't keep my captain Southgate out.

Surprised at your inclusion of Fabio instead of nsue! Fabio never nailed down a place in his time here under multiple different managers whereas nsue was the starting right back through our best period in the last  10 years. Personally I'd have Xavier or Fleming there but nsue is a million miles ahead of fabio for me

I think Fabio was just a better full-back than Nsue, to be honest. I don't fancy throwing shade on Nsue but I think Fabio understood the role a lot better than he did, he was quicker and I think he was a better defender.