oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

Daily Mirror saying EFL looking at re-starting the season Saturday 6th June if safe to do so. Looking at Clubs returning to training on Saturday 16th May which allows them the agreed 3 weeks of training.

Given the EFL said that the season can be completed in 56 days (including play offs) that would mean EFL season ending on 1st August. Albeit for us it would end 2/3 weeks earlier therefore around 12th-19th July 2020.

The EFL did not confirm a start date for new season but PL had confirmed a date of Friday 8th August for new season. I think that will get pushed by 2 weeks to around Friday 22nd August to allow teams approx 1 month prep between season ending and new season starting. Maybe 2 weeks off and 2 weeks mini pre season.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

On 4/11/2020 at 5:00 PM, Borodane said:

It won’t be 12-18 months. May even be a vaccine in the fall. 

From what I've read on the topic the vaccine is in human trials in America by skipping the animal testing. From this point they're saying 12-18 months.

“It really depends on what you mean by ‘having a vaccine’,” says Marian Wentworth, president and CEO of Management Sciences for Health, a Massachusetts-based global not-for-profit organisation that seeks to build resilient health systems, and a long-time observer of vaccine development. “If you mean one that can be used in a mass vaccination campaign, allowing us all to get on with our lives, then 12 to 18 months is probably right.”

But in terms of an experimental vaccine that is deemed safe and effective enough to be rolled out in a more limited way – to high-risk groups such as health workers, say – that could be ready within weeks or months, under emergency rules developed by drug regulatory agencies and the World Health Organization in the context of the recent Ebola epidemics in Africa.

13 hours ago, mendieta420 said:

From what I've read on the topic the vaccine is in human trials in America by skipping the animal testing. From this point they're saying 12-18 months.

Depends who you believe though really.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-vaccine-could-be-ready-as-early-as-september-according-to-scientist-11971804

I think the current situation is so unusual we will have vaccines a lot quicker than ever before, throwing money at it is irrelevant compared to the costs of not having one.  So hopefully we do get something this year and not at the back end of that range from your article.  

I’m coming round to the idea that I they should probably bin this season and start a new one when the time is right, possibly around September. It would be foolhardy to put peoples lives at risk in a non-essential environment.
A restart to the season would seem very strange and empty especially if the games are played behind closed doors, what would be the point? It would be like theatres opening with no audience to watch the plays. Scrapping the season would give clubs time to plan for the next one, to resolve expiring contracts and to have everything in place for a new start, extending the current season would be a subdued and messy affair it would feel wholly inappropriate.
At this time we need to look at the bigger picture when it comes to life in the post COVID world. 

It will be really interesting, when you think the bigger cl;ubs have the sky packaging to fall back on, cushion what they'll miss if attendances are restricted, but what about the lower league clubs, championship downover, clubs will struggle big time with attendances reduced, the FA & PL will have top get their heads together for the good of the game to come up with a plan, a fair system equal to all clubs not just the big teams, football will not benefit if teams are falling by the wayside

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I’m coming round to the idea that I they should probably bin this season and start a new one when the time is right, possibly around September. It would be foolhardy to put peoples lives at risk in a non-essential environment.
A restart to the season would seem very strange and empty especially if the games are played behind closed doors, what would be the point? It would be like theatres opening with no audience to watch the plays. Scrapping the season would give clubs time to plan for the next one, to resolve expiring contracts and to have everything in place for a new start, extending the current season would be a subdued and messy affair it would feel wholly inappropriate.
At this time we need to look at the bigger picture when it comes to life in the post COVID world. 

I cant honsetly see football being played this year, if football was to resume in the new year then how would they fit the 1st half of the 2020/21 in the final 5 months, even if they played through the summer the euros, 2021, will take up a month of that

I would say once they have agreed football can resume safely then complete the remaining fixtures, fulfill all leagues fixtures from the PL right to the grass roots, IIRC, there is a team in Wales who have won the league & I think with a 100% record, they may never do that again, I think for the fairness of sport the present season has to be completed 

32 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I get the points you're making but in my opinion, none of this accounts for the amount of games that have already been made and the progress that means towards clubs goals, or the punishment for the mismanagement from clubs like potentially ourselves.

There is only a fifth of the season remaining in our division, it's not like we're only a few games in and that the progress made means very little, if it had been say a few games in, or maybe even up to about 10 games in, I'd consider agreeing with your conclusion, I suspect a lot more clubs would be open to it had that been the case, also.

As it is, if we were to put ourselves in the position of a Leeds, West Brom or even a Liverpool, would we really be so willing to end the season as it is? What about Fulham or Brentford, sat in the top 4 and still in challenging distance from the top 2? Anyone in the top 12 who are close to the play-offs with plenty still to play for? I don't really think there's a great justification for abandoning all that progress and all that hard work for the sake of a reset. The next season could be just as disrupted, if it happens again do we reset again?

Safety is the most important thing, I am completely on board with that. But I don't think we need to abandon this season in order to proceed with football in a safe manner. I don't think fans being in the stadium or not should be considered when making the decision of which season to continue with either. At this point, with the progress made by clubs in the existing seasons, I think the next games played should be going towards this season. I already think it's daft that lower league clubs who had already been mathematically promoted will now not be promoted because leagues have been cancelled. All that hard work for nothing.

I know what you mean and I initially felt the same way as you Mr Wilson, but as this situation has gone on, who finishes where in a season seems irrelevant to me, especially if we were to start another one straight away, a bit like that old Mitchell and Webb sketch about the football that never stops.
If you are really that concerned about who finishes where, there are plenty of computer programmes that could calculate the final positions or the pools panel could sit. It’s Erimus thinks, no more games will take place until next year, how long do we hang on to the embers of this season before we  give up on it?

In some ways the fact that the season is four fifths of the way through makes it easier to gauge the final outcome. 

Billywoof, I wouldnt disagree with that either, I think once football can restart the powers to be have a hard job to satisfy everyone, you can understand the teams saying null & void the season & the teams saying continue, they'll alwys be winners & losers, I wouldnt like to be the one with the final say mind

How would they start a new season with say, 4 months to complete & how would any european fixtures be played

This would be a good game, and for a good cause. Aitors game for it.

Gazette Live: Beck wants Robbo's Middlesbrough legends to play Karanka's promotion winners for charity. https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/beck-wants-robbos-middlesbrough-legends-18108664

Edit: never mind, just noticed it's already been posted in the Rona thread

Edited by unclesmog
6 minutes ago, unclesmog said:

This would be a good game, and for a good cause. Aitors game for it.

Gazette Live: Beck wants Robbo's Middlesbrough legends to play Karanka's promotion winners for charity. https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/beck-wants-robbos-middlesbrough-legends-18108664

Yep. Should not be an issue getting Robbo's team back together.

Aitor might prove more tricky as most of them are still playing. They current clubs might not be so keen on them taking part in a charity match. Hopefully can work round it.

I know it is still a good 7 weeks (if not more) before season starts but assuming everyone fit when it does what is everyone's strongest 11.

I will go first: 3.4.2.1 formation.

Stojanovic
Moukoudi Ayala Fry
Howson Paddy Clayton Coulson
Roberts Wing
Rudy

Rudy gives us a platform to attack from so i would stick with him for now.