oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

I think it's very difficult to predict what is going to happen with contracts and signing players. 

Most clubs at our level are losing money at the moment so the situation in January will be very different to what it is now. Who knows when teams are going to be playing in front of full stadiums again and the financial implications of that for teams outside the Premier league could be really serious. 

Ayala is a great example of this, I'm not sure the club will be willing to offer him the same lucrative contract now as they were a few months ago. Will he get an offer as good now from other teams at our level? Players like him may regret running their contracts down when all this Covid 19 stuff is over. 

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

17 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Last I heard was a few weeks ago that Ayala has informed Woodgate he wants a fresh challenge.

HOwson agreed 2year contract providing we don't get relegated 

Thank you mate.

Previous rumour was Howson was a 3yr deal but think 2yr deal better for us. He 32 next month.

Shame on Ayala but he not irreplaceable. A loan deal for Gibbo with him and Fry at the back would be ok with me but we will need back up as with Shotton and Ayala to leave and Moukoudi loan ending we will need minimum 2 CBs to come in.

49 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

France has just banned its top flights football from starting until September, even with closed door games. 

I’m not surprised, it would be tactically very difficult to integrate social distancing on the pitch into competitive football.

2 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I’m not surprised, it would be tactically very difficult to integrate social distancing on the pitch into competitive football.

Britt manages it ok. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

A few of our defenders have been social distancing all season looking at their performances this season 😂

Am sure there was some mention on the BBC yesterday that we should not expect any sort of football until after the summer which would take us into September as well.

Beginning to believe that 19/20 season will be voided.

I doubt it DS. It looks like the Prem clubs are starting training again in two weeks and the PL hope to start playing in june. Apparently the PL have agreed to pay the costs of testiing players and staff twice a week in all all clubs for 13 weeks totalling 26.000 tests costing around 4 million pounds. Drastic stuff but shows how important it is to finish seasons. If the PL come back to playing I think the Championhsip will too. If it has to finish now I'm just glad we got out of the relegation spots before the league ended. 

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

I doubt it DS. It looks like the Prem clubs are starting training again in two weeks and the PL hope to start playing in june. Apparently the PL have agreed to pay the costs of testiing players and staff twice a week in all all clubs for 13 weeks totalling 26.000 tests costing around 4 million pounds. Drastic stuff but shows how important it is to finish seasons. If the PL come back to playing I think the Championhsip will too. If it has to finish now I'm just glad we got out of the relegation spots before the league ended. 

Government came under a lot of criticism for letting Cheltenham festival and Liverpool’s Champions League match go ahead. Supposedly added to infection rate. Whilst Boris appears keen to get things like football going to try and raise morale and give something for people to look forward too, I think he will be very wary. 
Germans are waiting for a decision from Merkel as to whether they can go ahead with their plans for closed door matches and she is supposedly worried about German infection rates going up again.. If she refuses then I can’t see Boris risking England being first major league to open up.

Even if Premier league start, I am not sure that that will mean lower leagues restart. Closed door matches for them would simply cost money they haven’t got - particularly leagues 1 and 2. I’m tending to agree with DS that season is unlikely to restart. 

incidentally a long article in Daily Mail yesterday about Championship finances. They supposedly got hold of a survey FL did on Championship club finances in October last year. 18 clubs responded to FL after a request for wage details etc (doesn’t say whether Boro responded or not). Highest basic salary - before any bonuses-  in Championship was £3.5m. Only detail was that he played for a southern club. I’m guessing Mitrovic at Fulham. Average highest individual player pay of all 18 clubs responding was £1.5m. One southern club had their highest earner on £450k per year - probably Luton. Highest manager was on £3.5m ( Bielsa or Bilic?) and average managers pay was £850k. At one club the fitness coach earns £282k.

No wonder so many clubs are in the proverbial.

9 hours ago, ScarBoro said:

Government came under a lot of criticism for letting Cheltenham festival and Liverpool’s Champions League match go ahead. Supposedly added to infection rate. Whilst Boris appears keen to get things like football going to try and raise morale and give something for people to look forward too, I think he will be very wary. 
Germans are waiting for a decision from Merkel as to whether they can go ahead with their plans for closed door matches and she is supposedly worried about German infection rates going up again.. If she refuses then I can’t see Boris risking England being first major league to open up.

Even if Premier league start, I am not sure that that will mean lower leagues restart. Closed door matches for them would simply cost money they haven’t got - particularly leagues 1 and 2. I’m tending to agree with DS that season is unlikely to restart. 

incidentally a long article in Daily Mail yesterday about Championship finances. They supposedly got hold of a survey FL did on Championship club finances in October last year. 18 clubs responded to FL after a request for wage details etc (doesn’t say whether Boro responded or not). Highest basic salary - before any bonuses-  in Championship was £3.5m. Only detail was that he played for a southern club. I’m guessing Mitrovic at Fulham. Average highest individual player pay of all 18 clubs responding was £1.5m. One southern club had their highest earner on £450k per year - probably Luton. Highest manager was on £3.5m ( Bielsa or Bilic?) and average managers pay was £850k. At one club the fitness coach earns £282k.

No wonder so many clubs are in the proverbial.

I will be very shocked if highest earner is not Mitrovic. Hopefully our tightening of the purse strings came at a good time.

Do other posters feel next season is a big year for Nathan Wood? I note he will be 18 next month. I know he been part of the first team set up now for 2 full seasons. 

Dael Fry was a month shy of his 18th birthday when he made his debut in our first game of season v Preston the year we went up and he made 8 appearances that season

18 years of age is still obviously young but i do feel next season Wood should be looking at being our 4th choice CB and thus targeting about same number of appearances as Fry in his breakthrough season. Whilst technically some would argue that up until February he was our 4th choice CB behind Ayala, Fry and Shotton but Woodgate went to a back 3 if 2 of them 3 was injured and used Howson, Paddy and Friend instead of Wood. That is understandable.

Next season i feel he should look to be naturally the 4th choice CB behind Fry, Gibson (if he returns) and hopefully a 3rd more experienced CB but ahead of make-shift CBs like Howson and Paddy etc.

5 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Do other posters feel next season is a big year for Nathan Wood? I note he will be 18 next month. I know he been part of the first team set up now for 2 full seasons. 

Dael Fry was a month shy of his 18th birthday when he made his debut in our first game of season v Preston the year we went up and he made 8 appearances that season

18 years of age is still obviously young but i do feel next season Wood should be looking at being our 4th choice CB and thus targeting about same number of appearances as Fry in his breakthrough season. Whilst technically some would argue that up until February he was our 4th choice CB behind Ayala, Fry and Shotton but Woodgate went to a back 3 if 2 of them 3 was injured and used Howson, Paddy and Friend instead of Wood. That is understandable.

Next season i feel he should look to be naturally the 4th choice CB behind Fry, Gibson (if he returns) and hopefully a 3rd more experienced CB but ahead of make-shift CBs like Howson and Paddy etc.

I have no idea if he is ready for championship football as 4th choice. But he did have a decent outing in the cup earlier this season. I suppose a lot depends on our recruitment and whether we stay up. If we go down he will be playing lots of games I think as we will need to sell Fry and Gibson won't come. A loan deal could also be good for him, but then we'd need to get another player in as 4th choice so doesn't make much sense.

JW in Gazette confirms recruitment is "vital" for boro and adds he would love to resign Moukoudi and Roberts if its possible. Says he been spending a lot of lockdown watching clips of potential new signings