• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

It just occurred to me that due to coranavirus there now a real risk we will lose Britt for nothing next summer.

Given the financial impact of the coranavirus on clubs in football league I now cant see any club being able to match our asking price for him this summer. Meaning he will probably stay here next season and then depart on a free

I'd absolutely give Browne another chance next season, but he needs to be starting consistently.

Before this lockdown, I just have the feeling that the club would have sold him on to Oxford, though I now imagine that finances will be so messed up across the board that this will no longer be the case.

We'll be short on contracted players, so I expect Bola and Browne to be fully integrated back in to the squad.

Morning all. Boro are in a big cup match tomorrow night!

Tomorrow night, Ingelby Barwickian Neil Trewick faces off against Notts Forest winger Joe Lolley in the quarter final of the EFL Football Manager Cup.

Kick off is 8pm, but I don't know how long the matches are. Hopefully Neil will bring his digital scalp home and it's something "Boro" for us to get behind (even though I'm working 🤫)

Here's an easy link to Boro's Twitch for when it goes live...

Adam clayton has just said in an interview that players will decide whether they resume playing. I don't want to come across harsh here, but surely it's not up to an employee whether they think they should go back to work? If they don't want to play, then surely they should be ready to forfeit all their salary for the period they make themselves unavailable. He says he doesn't want to risk taking the virus back to his family, but that's a risk everyone that works take every day. If health personel, hairdressers etc. can go to work then surely footballer can too in what will be a very closed environment?

40 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Adam clayton has just said in an interview that players will decide whether they resume playing. I don't want to come across harsh here, but surely it's not up to an employee whether they think they should go back to work? If they don't want to play, then surely they should be ready to forfeit all their salary for the period they make themselves unavailable. He says he doesn't want to risk taking the virus back to his family, but that's a risk everyone that works take every day. If health personel, hairdressers etc. can go to work then surely footballer can too in what will be a very closed environment?

Given his father has just  started recovery from 51 days in a coma, - which is fairly amazing really - you can understand why he is doubtful himself. 
Ultimately, however, even if H and S rules allow them to restart, the players have to be willing to  play. Technically they could be held to be “on strike” if they refuse and should not get paid. I can’t see that happening however. If enough are reluctant to play, the PFA will support them and find some issue with H and S that makes it almost impossibly for the clubs to comply. If there’s only a few that won’t play, I suspect clubs will deal with them individually - you might well use kid gloves for your star player or a young player you need to sign a new contract as opposed to someone nearing the end of their career who is less important to the club. Shouldn’t happen that way, but you get discrimination in all industries and football will be no different.

55 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

Given his father has just  started recovery from 51 days in a coma, - which is fairly amazing really - you can understand why he is doubtful himself. .

Didnt hear that before, was it covid related?

Edit: just saw it posted on the other thread, yes it was. 

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

I don't blame him really, family and health should come before football. 

I suppose the club could sack or fine the players but Clayton might be willing to take that risk. 

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

The healthcare workers are required to keep people alive. People working to deliver necessities like food and toiletries are required to keep people alive. Footballers are not. There's also the question of testing (which our government seems to completely fail to grasp right now) that would be required in order to ensure that people don't have the virus before playing in an environment where illness travels pretty quickly.

There's no chance in my eyes that footballers should be scapegoated for their fear of going back to work for what is essentially an entertainment medium. And that's what this kind of thinking is. Would we turn round to those in healthcare and food stores and take them down for not wanting to come to work right now? No, we certainly shouldn't anyway, that's why people still open their doors at 8pm on a Thursday and clap because they're the ones being brave and biting that bullet when it is not safe for everyone to be at work. It ain't safe for them either but the balance is that more people will die if our healthcare system and food supplies shut down.

I'm not saying footballers should be fully paid either but there's no simple solution for that right now across the entire economy, people need money to buy necessities to live and so many can't feasibly work without putting strain on themselves by contracting the virus and thus the healthcare system as an extension to that.

This follows the same lines of what Jacob Rees-Mogg is coming out with; how people shouldn't be asked to go to work if parliament doesn't do the same. And that's a completely illogical and emotional conclusion at a time when we need to approach this huge economic problem with more logic. That we should stand together and go to work together because if we don't it's horrible to those who have to work during this crisis, that's not a logical conclusion that will keep more people alive until the virus is beaten.

And it is horribly unfair to those who have to work, it really is. But it is also a horrible, horrible balancing act that is gonna be required because we live in a worldwide society driven by money and one way or another, we are going to feel the brunt of this economic stopper at some point and that could just as easily kill people as a virus will. As governments like our own bleed taxpayer's money into keeping people alive and fed, the taxpayer will eventually have to pay this security back. And that's probably gonna hit us all. When that time hits is when Boris Johnson and his Tory pals will show their true colours and we will find out exactly what kind of man he is. I fear that as a result of this crisis, the austerity measures that will follow will be even more drastic than those of the Tory leaders before him. But you can guarantee if that is the case, Mr. Cummings will have a lovely plan to make sure the people of our country think the sun shines out their ***; he just needs to shout and bang his fist on the table a lot.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Boris Johnson and his Tory pals will show their true colours and we will find out exactly what kind of man he is. I fear that as a result of this crisis, the austerity measures that will follow will be even more drastic than those of the Tory leaders before him.

I think that is an almost certainty, it won't be Boris or the Tories who get the blame though. Our right wing press will probably find someone else to blame, most likely the people on council estates who didn't observe the lockdown strictly enough will be the scapegoats. 

So West Brom have refunded all tickets for this season  for the games which havent been played following the meeting with EFL clubs. The wage cap is 90% to be introduced from 2021/22 season but rather than 6k max it will be 10k. A bit on what I have been told about boro finances... club have paid all playing staff and coaching staff and all other staff have been furloughed at 80% and club adding 20%. The impact has been severe in terms of next season. Moukoudi may well now move on a year loan next year and then a fee in the hope the economy has improved. Gibbo being pushed out of Burnley as they could go to the wall by September apparently if nothing changes..  Britt will leave for peanuts if we get a buyer and we are looking to bring Lyle Taylor to boro on a free

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

So West Brom have refunded all tickets for this season  for the games which havent been played following the meeting with EFL clubs. The wage cap is 90% to be introduced from 2021/22 season but rather than 6k max it will be 10k. A bit on what I have been told about boro finances... club have paid all playing staff and coaching staff and all other staff have been furloughed at 80% and club adding 20%. The impact has been severe in terms of next season. Moukoudi may well now move on a year loan next year and then a fee in the hope the economy has improved. Gibbo being pushed out of Burnley as they could go to the wall by September apparently if nothing changes..  Britt will leave for peanuts if we get a buyer and we are looking to bring Lyle Taylor to boro on a free

Hear anything more about Roberts?

@wilsoncgp if you think I’m scapegoating footballers then you’ve read my post wrong because I’m not. I’m simply questioning whether it’s ok for an employee to publicly say they will decide whether to work or not. Ultimately it is up to one self but if you don’t want to work then you can’t expect to be paid for that period. It’s just a bad situation for the clubs because the players typically hold all the aces as clubs don’t want to risk losing players for nothing or have an unhappy player amongst the squad creating a bad atmosphere.

I’m fairly sure what my boss would say if I came into his office telling him I didn’t want to work because I don’t feel safe. It certainly won’t be “fair enough go home and we will still pay you”. 

I fully respect those players who won’t be comfortable with playing but I expect them to accept being treated like every other employee and not kick up a fuss about not being paid