oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

1 hour ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

So West Brom have refunded all tickets for this season  for the games which havent been played following the meeting with EFL clubs. The wage cap is 90% to be introduced from 2021/22 season but rather than 6k max it will be 10k. A bit on what I have been told about boro finances... club have paid all playing staff and coaching staff and all other staff have been furloughed at 80% and club adding 20%. The impact has been severe in terms of next season. Moukoudi may well now move on a year loan next year and then a fee in the hope the economy has improved. Gibbo being pushed out of Burnley as they could go to the wall by September apparently if nothing changes..  Britt will leave for peanuts if we get a buyer and we are looking to bring Lyle Taylor to boro on a free

So a maximum of 10k a week across the championship from the 21/22 season? Wow that’s a pretty big change and certainly something we could have used a few years ago to stop us paying ridiculous wages for Britt and Braithwaite. But the league will have accept that it will miss out on talented players. 

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

So West Brom have refunded all tickets for this season  for the games which havent been played following the meeting with EFL clubs. The wage cap is 90% to be introduced from 2021/22 season but rather than 6k max it will be 10k. A bit on what I have been told about boro finances... club have paid all playing staff and coaching staff and all other staff have been furloughed at 80% and club adding 20%. The impact has been severe in terms of next season. Moukoudi may well now move on a year loan next year and then a fee in the hope the economy has improved. Gibbo being pushed out of Burnley as they could go to the wall by September apparently if nothing changes..  Britt will leave for peanuts if we get a buyer and we are looking to bring Lyle Taylor to boro on a free

Sorry SDS are you saying Moukoudi will be with us next season? Roberts as well?

Just now, Borodane said:

@wilsoncgp if you think I’m scapegoating footballers then you’ve read my post wrong because I’m not. I’m simply questioning whether it’s ok for an employee to publicly say they will decide whether to work or not. Ultimately it is up to one self but if you don’t want to work then you can’t expect to be paid for that period. It’s just a bad situation for the clubs because the players typically hold all the aces as clubs don’t want to risk losing players for nothing or have an unhappy player amongst the squad creating a bad atmosphere.

I’m fairly sure what my boss would say if I came into his office telling him I didn’t want to work because I don’t feel safe. It certainly won’t be “fair enough go home and we will still pay you”. 

I fully respect those players who won’t be comfortable with playing but I expect them to accept being treated like every other employee and not kick up a fuss about not being paid

This isn't Adam Clayton telling Middlesbrough he won't work, though. It's not like he's gone to Jonny Woodgate and/or Steve Gibson and said nah mate, not right now. That's not the way I see it anyway. It's an increasingly common message from players (and I suspect eventually the PFA) to the FA, PL, EFL and the Government of our country. Danny Rose was spot on when he said Government is wrong to want to put players back into the firing line for the morale of the country. It's not the bloody Hunger Games. I imagine players are already *** off after what Matt Hancock came out with a month or so ago so good on them for taking a stand.

The real question should not be why does Adam Clayton get to say he's not going to work when others don't have that choice. It's why should anyone else not be allowed to say no to it when it's clearly a risky thing to do for both yourself and your loved ones and indeed the general long term health effects on the country. I imagine Adam Clayton himself feels exactly the same; I'm certain after what he's gone through that he's not wanting to avoid the risk to his own family whilst everyone else puts themselves at risk. It's asking why should anyone have to put themselves at risk.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Borodane said:

So a maximum of 10k a week across the championship from the 21/22 season? Wow that’s a pretty big change and certainly something we could have used a few years ago to stop us paying ridiculous wages for Britt and Braithwaite. But the league will have accept that it will miss out on talented players. 

Would be a big shift... not sure how you implement it however... contracts are different for each player... if you cap players you would have to cap managers as there are a few in championship on more than 10k a week

Surely a 10k cap would cause huge issues for teams coming down from the premier league? You are going to have a situation where clubs which go down need to sell the majority of their players, or there Is a huge gap between the clubs which go down and the rest of the championship

38 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

This isn't Adam Clayton telling Middlesbrough he won't work, though. It's not like he's gone to Jonny Woodgate and/or Steve Gibson and said nah mate, not right now. That's not the way I see it anyway. It's an increasingly common message from players (and I suspect eventually the PFA) to the FA, PL, EFL and the Government of our country. Danny Rose was spot on when he said Government is wrong to want to put players back into the firing line for the morale of the country. It's not the bloody Hunger Games. I imagine players are already *** off after what Matt Hancock came out with a month or so ago so good on them for taking a stand.

The real question should not be why does Adam Clayton get to say he's not going to work when others don't have that choice. It's why should anyone else not be allowed to say no to it when it's clearly a risky thing to do for both yourself and your loved ones and indeed the general long term health effects on the country. I imagine Adam Clayton himself feels exactly the same; I'm certain after what he's gone through that he's not wanting to avoid the risk to his own family whilst everyone else puts themselves at risk. It's asking why should anyone have to put themselves at risk.

No one is forced to go to work but you can’t expect any company to pay employees who have chosen to quarantine themselves. We have to learn to live with the virus as I suspect the economic consequences will have far bigger impact on society in the long run if everything is shut down for longer than necessary. In my family we chose not to see the kids grandparents for more than a month because they are 65+ years old. There comes a time where the risks aren’t high enough to justify further lockdowns. If you expect the country to be locked down until there is zero risk or a vaccine is ready while people are still being paid then I think that’s a very unrealistic expectation. Whether you like it or not someone has to pay the bill. It’s a balancing act right now.  

27 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Surely a 10k cap would cause huge issues for teams coming down from the premier league? You are going to have a situation where clubs which go down need to sell the majority of their players, or there Is a huge gap between the clubs which go down and the rest of the championship

I agree with the principle of a cap but how you implement and police it is a legal minefield 

24 minutes ago, Borodane said:

No one is forced to go to work but you can’t expect any company to pay employees who have chosen to quarantine themselves. We have to learn to live with the virus as I suspect the economic consequences will have far bigger impact on society in the long run if everything is shut down for longer than necessary. In my family we chose not to see the kids grandparents for more than a month because they are 65+ years old. There comes a time where the risks aren’t high enough to justify further lockdowns. If you expect the country to be locked down until there is zero risk or a vaccine is ready while people are still being paid then I think that’s a very unrealistic expectation. Whether you like it or not someone has to pay the bill. It’s a balancing act right now.  

Again, that's why I've said he's not pressuring Middlesbrough, i.e. the company who pays him. He's pressuring the organisations that would pressure our club into putting a team out on the pitch and in particular, the government and I think he's in his right mind to do that, to ensure that our government doesn't forget that footballers are people with families too, something Matt Hancock doesn't seem to get. I agree it's an economical balancing act, my initial response to you testifies to that, it's not an easy situation for companies or employees; that doesn't mean Clayton is wrong to say what he says.

45 minutes ago, Borodane said:

you can’t expect any company to pay employees who have chosen to quarantine themselves.

I'm sure the majority of players will realise that. 

Lyle Taylor as a free agent will have so many suitors after him, even more clubs now due to coranavirus. Those clubs that did not look at him may now do so given the financial impact.

@Smoggydownsouth. Do you know if we will try for both Moukoudi and Roberts on loan? I do think we need to make more effective use of loan market next summer. Above 2 plus Gibson on a year loan would be excellent.

Any news on Ravel? I would take him on a free too. I think he has more to offer than he has shown.

9 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Any news on Ravel? I would take him on a free too. I think he has more to offer than he has shown.

Given he's shown absolutely nothing, it'd be hard to argue with that.

He was rubbish against Barnsley.

52 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Agree. A waste of time, money and space. He'll be playing lower league football shortly. Lower than the Championship that is.

1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

Under normal circumstances i would agree that best to look elsewhere but my thinking was given the likely dire financial circumstances we face this summer is he the worst free out there? I dont think so.

Certainly not going to judge him on Barnsely game. Entire team wad pathetic.

Anyway we will see what he does in remaining 9 games. I am willing him on as his talent is not in doubt. His attitude was but he certainly does not appear to be the disruptive influence he maybe once was. No issues caused thus far since he arrived