oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

15 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Under normal circumstances i would agree that best to look elsewhere but my thinking was given the likely dire financial circumstances we face this summer is he the worst free out there? I dont think so.

Certainly not going to judge him on Barnsely game. Entire team wad pathetic.

Anyway we will see what he does in remaining 9 games. I am willing him on as his talent is not in doubt. His attitude was but he certainly does not appear to be the disruptive influence he maybe once was. No issues caused thus far since he arrived

I just don't think he has the will to apply himself enough. I'd rather give an academy player a chance.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

On the face of it a salary cap looks like common sense, however teams like Middlesbrough will be disadvataged. We have paid players over the odds for years just to get them to come to the area. Even the Manchester clubs miss out on players who would rather play for London clubs.

What I'm reading for the salary cap is it's likely to be a cap of 15-20m per team, if you're over that you can only sign players for 10k per week max until you're back under the limit.  

Not sure if it would work because from figures I've seen, last season only 8 clubs in the league would have been under the proposed cap.

What player is going to leave a £20K+  bench job in the prem to take £10k in the Championship?
this will lead to massive loyalty & promotion bonuses etc. to hide the figures. and a bigger gap between the premiership and Championship than the chasm that already exists

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Brunners said:

Interesting news coming out today regardless players expiring contracts for the remaining of the season (if it goes ahead). I can only see Boro offering contracts extensions beyond 30th June to Howson and possibly Friend.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

What player is going to leave a £20K+  bench job in the prem to take £10k in the Championship?
this will lead to massive loyalty & promotion bonuses etc. to hide the figures. and a bigger gap between the premiership and Championship than the chasm that already exists

I think the cap of 10k would only apply to the clubs above the limit. If you're under the cap, you could spend as much as you want on a player. It basically means relegated teams are cucked though; because they'd have to sell the vast majority of the team to get down to a 20m cap.

8 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I think the cap of 10k would only apply to the clubs above the limit. If you're under the cap, you could spend as much as you want on a player. It basically means relegated teams are cucked though; because they'd have to sell the vast majority of the team to get down to a 20m cap.

Which really they should be, anyway. Or they need to negotiate proper relegation clauses into players' deals. I know the EFL chairman got stick for what he said about parachute payments being evil and he wasn't entirely on the money... but he's heading in the right direction. As we know full well, the parachute payment hasn't been used to create a softer landing by every club, including ours. It's been used to take even further risks with no guarantee of a reward. Trying to keep Premier League talent or sign Championship players on low-mid tier Premier League wages with parachute payments in my opinion is completely missing the point and is just another example of how clubs are desperate to operate within the Premier League with a blank cheque in relative terms.

The second season of the Sunderland documentary did shine some light on some of the stupid spending by PL clubs with very little thought process. That bloody cryo-recovery room with constant operating costs that nobody at Sunderland used, barring the old Chief Executive for his back. Madness.

3 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Interesting news coming out today regardless players expiring contracts for the remaining of the season (if it goes ahead). I can only see Boro offering contracts extensions beyond 30th June to Howson and possibly Friend.

Yeah EG in todays Q&A said same as what you thinking @diggerlad07. Out the 7 players the club want and are hopeful Howson and Friend will stay. Made an offer to Ayala EG said but been rejected so might be further negotiations there.

The other 4 of Shotton Clayton Johnson and Rudy set to depart.

U heard any news?

2 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Yeah EG in todays Q&A said same as what you thinking @diggerlad07. Out the 7 players the club want and are hopeful Howson and Friend will stay. Made an offer to Ayala EG said but been rejected so might be further negotiations there.

The other 4 of Shotton Clayton Johnson and Rudy set to depart.

U heard any news?

Not recently, I posted last time that Howson has agreed 2year reduced contract depending on we survive relegation and that's still the case and that Ayala had rejected contract and informed us he wanted to move elsewhere.

Gibson is a done deal - loan to buy. Burnley still owe us a quite significant money from original sale as they were paying in installments so the deal has been agreed with that in mind.

I hadn't heard anything regarding Friend, however good of a captain/character he is around the place, I just feel it's best that it's time he moves on and we start a fresh completely (not even coaching role). I'd keep his contract extending till the end of the current season but I wouldn't be offering a deal for next season.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Not recently, I posted last time that Howson has agreed 2year reduced contract depending on we survive relegation and that's still the case and that Ayala had rejected contract and informed us he wanted to move elsewhere.

Gibson is a done deal - loan to buy. Burnley still owe us a quite significant money from original sale as they were paying in installments so the deal has been agreed with that in mind.

I hadn't heard anything regarding Friend, however good of a captain/character he is around the place, I just feel it's best that it's time he moves on and we start a fresh completely (not even coaching role). I'd keep his contract extending till the end of the current season but I wouldn't be offering a deal for next season.

Thanks for info. Appreciated as always. A centre back pairing of Fry & Gibson I am happy with.

32 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Thanks for info. Appreciated as always. A centre back pairing of Fry & Gibson I am happy with.

Will be probably the best pairing in the league and allow Fry to go back on the right side which he looks far more comfortable with. I do wonder though if Fry doesn't go who we will use as a cash cow (we'll likely need one) because I can't see anyone else from the squad pulling much coin in.

31 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

Will be probably the best pairing in the league and allow Fry to go back on the right side which he looks far more comfortable with. I do wonder though if Fry doesn't go who we will use as a cash cow (we'll likely need one) because I can't see anyone else from the squad pulling much coin in.

Think SDS said yesterday we are trying to get rid of Britt. Apparently for not a lot. 

32 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Think SDS said yesterday we are trying to get rid of Britt. Apparently for not a lot. 

Celtic in the January transfer window were really interested and offered around £7million which was laughed away by the club, so the price is going to be further down with his recent form, injuries and this pandemic.

14 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Celtic in the January transfer window were really interested and offered around £7million which was laughed away by the club, so the price is going to be further down with his recent form, injuries and this pandemic.

I hope if play resumes he hits a purple patch in last 9 games like he did end of Pulis reign. Pure guesswork but i think club would take £5m+ for Britt. If we can get Lyle Taylor on free who SDS said we are interested in then that would be a good outcome. I accept Taylor is 31 i think and Britt is entering his peak years so to speak.

I doubt that there will be any players that can be utilised as a cash cow in this upcoming transfer window, money will be in short supply everywhere.

I imagine it will be a buyer's market, not a sellers